Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: aspergers opinion

Default aspergers opinion

Hi I'm not really shur where to start a few days ago I came across a post that had the word aspergers In it and I didn't know what it meant so I googled it and came across a list of symptoms after I read what it was and most of them described me perfectly. I was told I had ADHD when I was 6 and at the time I don't think much was know about aspergers but everything iv read sounds exactly like me, not being very social, I get really nevious around people I don't know, iv never really been able to make friends , I don't really make eye contact when I talk to people ect. ect. So I asked my mom if I was ever tested for it and she didn't even know what I was talking about. I took the online self test and scored a 40 they said anything over a 32 was on the autistic spectrum and should be tested by a doctor. I should be getting health insurance soon so I would really like to get tested, I'm not shur if it will pay for it but if not I would still like to get tested because it would explain so much of my childhood and how I am today and instead of feeling like I'm strange I can have a name for it. I'm sorry if I may have offended anyone that's not what I was trying to do. I just wanted to vent about how I have been feeling and maby someone can give me some advise on how or where I can get tested in Maryland? My biggest fear is that someone's not gona take me serious like my mom I'm not shur if she just thinks I'm full of shit and its all in my head.... thank you for taking your time to read this.

Well,

I myself don't think putting a label on things is necessary...

Although, after my accident I did get tested for short term memory loss...which I have...I scored in the .5% on that area of memory...

Anyhow, if you want to get tested, doit...it may help you to put a label on it...may not...that's up to you...

Myself, I know my strengths and weaknesses and don't care about a label...

I'm in Minnesota so, can't help with testing out east...

Well, to be sure, you need to see a psychiatrist for a diagnosis. Asperger's syndrome falls under the umbrella of autism and is also called high functioning autism. There are a wide variety of symptoms and no two patients are exactly alike. There is no cure for asperger's but there is treatment. The same medications used for ADHD are sometimes used for Asperger's. There are several books on the subject as well as many internet sources. There are also a few facebook groups that will help you better understand yourself. Some say something as simple as your diet can alleviate symptoms such as lowering gluten and sugar. Good luck and let us know what happens. As I told your wife, there are groups on a disc including an autism one. Join that for more private conversations.
    Last edited by Scaramouche; 23-Jan-2014 at 13:26. Reason: correct spelling, grammer and punctuation errors

I'm not sure how accurate those online self tests really are. I know what test you're talking about. It's called the Autism Spectrum Quotient test. Like you I took it and got somewhere in the 40s. So I went to my doctor to see if I could get tested for Autism. As it turns out, my psychologist (who I've been seeing since 2008) talked to me for a few minutes and said I wasn't even close to having Autism. He said I didn't even need to be tested and that I am "too social". I wasn't going to question him because he had a nephew who has Asperger's and he tests many people every day for Autism. I thought it was weird though because I had all the symptoms you described earlier such as not being very social, no friends, etc. etc. Long story short, that Autism Spectrum Quotient test and its results meant nothing in my case.

However, you and I are two different people. Maybe you are indeed Autistic. Only a medical professional can diagnose that.

TLDR: go see a doctor about getting tested
    Last edited by bomb851; 23-Jan-2014 at 10:25. Reason: grammar

Advice from a Former mental health professional who specialized in Autism, Asperger's, and PDD NOS, and who has Asperger's himself:

Don't self-diagnose. If you think you might have a psychiatric disorder, see a doctor before drawing any conclusions from something you read on the internet.

And don't rely on online self tests, they are total BS. They're no different than those "What Star Wars Character Are You?" tests that and crap that float around the internet. They have no clinical relevance.

Thank all of you for your advise . I will definitely get further test by someone in that field. Again I want to apologize if I have offended anyone I just wanted to get someone else's opinion since it took a lot for me to ask my mother her opinion and its hard to tell if she takes anything serious most of the time. Again thank you

I was professionally diagnosed with aspergers, about 7 years ago. It was a watershed event really, it totally explained everything.
    If you feel you might have it you are of course free to get looked at, but keep in mind, your insurance isn't likely to pay for it. Mine paid $0 so I was stuck with a huge bill when I made < 75$ a week.
    I would classify my aspergers as mild, and I score very high on those "online tests" so if you are only getting a 40 then I'm kind of skeptical.
    There are other smaller parts to aspergers that are important, specifically the ones that separate an adhd diagnosis from an aspergers as if you look at the whole of it they are similar in "appearance"
    Asperger syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If you have not already read wiki, pay attention to the "Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior", "Motor and sensory perception" sections. examples in my case are that I am only interested in computers, and use them most of my time, as well as I am sensitive to loud noises, touch, and I can sort of see sound which if some one is talking its hard for me to remember them!
    I'm not an expert but I can spot a fellow "aspie" given enough info I can obtain from the person, usually speech , visual indicators, actions or even enough reading of someones typing.
    I also feel as if I was "born on the wrong planet", I should have been on Vulcan or something.

Quote Originally Posted by bomb851 View Post
    I'm not sure how accurate those online self tests really are.
    You get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyM View Post
    I was professionally diagnosed with aspergers, about 7 years ago. It was a watershed event really, it totally explained everything.
    If you feel you might have it you are of course free to get looked at, but keep in mind, your insurance isn't likely to pay for it. Mine paid $0 so I was stuck with a huge bill when I made < 75$ a week.
    I would classify my aspergers as mild, and I score very high on those "online tests" so if you are only getting a 40 then I'm kind of skeptical.
    There are other smaller parts to aspergers that are important, specifically the ones that separate an adhd diagnosis from an aspergers as if you look at the whole of it they are similar in "appearance"
    Asperger syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If you have not already read wiki, pay attention to the "Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior", "Motor and sensory perception" sections. examples in my case are that I am only interested in computers, and use them most of my time, as well as I am sensitive to loud noises, touch, and I can sort of see sound which if some one is talking its hard for me to remember them!
    I'm not an expert but I can spot a fellow "aspie" given enough info I can obtain from the person, usually speech , visual indicators, actions or even enough reading of someones typing.
    I also feel as if I was "born on the wrong planet", I should have been on Vulcan or something.
    I was professionally diagnosed with Autism/High-Functioning in 2005 at the age of 47, after decades of vocational failures as a person with a Bachelor of Science in Electronics Engineering Technology.