Thread: Abena

Default Abena

So long story short my parents bought a mattress from the sears website using my account, and now I have a bunch of shop your way bonus points to spend ($35) I am just curious about what you all think I should get. They offer Tena and Abena as well as Molicare on the website. Thanks!

It depends on preference. From personal experience, I can recommend either the Abena or the Molicaire for their own purposes. The Abena always felt like my go-to all purpose diaper. The M3 was the usual choice, but the M4 performed phenomenally for those days/nights of extended use. Of course, these were both plastic backed versions. The cloth version is alright, but definitely not my favorite.

The Molicaires are also a superb diaper, but they have a different feel to them. Where as Abena has the gel and cotton feel to it, molicaire is much more wood pulp than gel. I feel as though this makes it have more of a wet feeling, but it also sags a bit after a few massive floodings compared to the abena which tends to swell more than sag. Everything in this area of products comes down to opinion, and I say that a lot of people have favorable opinions of both Abena and Molicaire. It's not to say that either diaper is by any means perfect, but they are both high quality diapers with their own feel to them.

I cannot speak on the Tena brand, though I've heard good things about the Tena Slip Maxi.

I'd get the tenas

just one bit in terms of security / privacy...
    I don't know sears (well I "know" what it is... but never ordered anything from them)... but some online shops keep a purchase history to be viewed under your account... now as your parents seem to be using your account, they might thus discover your diaper purchase. just saying... again, I don't know about this with sears.

Haha....I was thinking that if you got a new mattress, maybe you should get a new mattress protector. I've got a good one for our queen sized mattress.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdlforever View Post
    So long story short my parents bought a mattress from the sears website using my account, and now I have a bunch of shop your way bonus points to spend ($35) I am just curious about what you all think I should get. They offer Tena and Abena as well as Molicare on the website. Thanks!
    Having tried all 3:

Tena slip (plastic backed): very thin, held a lot (especially considering the size), really good odor control, really quiet, really expensive. They seemed to have some kind of gel in them, which was a bit unique (no large masses of SAP beads clumping up). Also had a tape landing zone, which was really nice. If I were actually IC and rich, I'd probably buy these as my main diaper. They're also one of two plastic backed diapers I know of that come in small.

Tena (cloth backed kind): didn't have leak guards, but the leg gathers worked quite well towards that function. Other than that, no issues besides the usual cloth backed gripes (poor odor control, velcro tabs loosened over time, diaper gets clammy and damp on the outside).

Abena: Pretty standard as far as diapers go. High absorbancy, but doesn't wick well. I often found myself having to change one because the front was soaked and threatening to leak while the back was still bone dry.

Molicare: Really soft plastic and interior, wicks extremely well. On paper it has less capacity than an abena M4, but since it wicks so well, all of the padding goes towards absorbing liquid. I've found the real life capacity works out about the same as an abena because of that. The plastic shell is probably the most fragile of the 3 diapers. Also comes in plastic backed smalls.