Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Might lose my job tomorow

Default Might lose my job tomorow

Well its my own fault , let me explain

Last week we recived a complaint in store that me and another collegue ignored a customer by talking to each other and using a mobile phone , i do not deny this as i have seen the cctv footage , however i did serve my customers , i may not have given them my fullest attention , which is silly , however i think the complaint came from this customer , as my collegue was using my phone , i went to have a look , only after the transaction was at an end and was just waiting for a recipt to print out , i gave it to him and said bye , now i knowit looks bad and i shouldnt have used my phone , but i didnt ignore him as such , just didnt give him my fullest attention

well now i have been invited to an investigation tomorow , i could lose my job , boss says its brand damaging and seen as gross misconduct , he says best i can hope for is a final written , i have been working for the company for 18 months and never had any complaints or anything against me , can you guys offer and advice , i have spoke to CAD , but im looking for more help

Thanks

If I could give any advice to you, it would be preach how dedicated you are to the company and your job, and tell them it won't happen again. Its hard to fire someone who you are convinced is dedicated and loves the company, especially if it means losing an experienced associate in favor of a new hire.

i would say that a bit of so caled ass kissing might not be such a bad idea.

deano13

To be honest, I guess your best strategy mostly depends on how much you truly need/want this specific job.
    I know the current economic situation isn't rosy for most - but then again you'd have to ask yourself how far you'd like to go and how much influence your company has over you.

You've got a range of options here - and all can lead to very different outcomes.
    - you can try to apologize, "ass kiss" and swear to sell your soul to the corporation for the next decade ... that most likely will result in you keeping the job, but the question is, can you do this.
    - you can try to keep calm and act normal... hear what they have to say, be able to defend your situation - that though will only work if you're prepared to loose the job... but it could make your position far stronger...
    - you can let it flow, see what happens and don't do anything special, and if they fire you, fight it through a court... can be expensive, but if this "situation of misconduct" was your first and only such occurrence in 18 month, and they fire you over this, it's simply not really correct and the depending on your work related laws in your place, well it might even be illegal (it certainly would be illegal where i live at the moment - unless the company can provide proof that the employee caused real harm to the company...)
    - You can quit. Tell them to suck it and leave. Drastic. But I've done that in the past a few times... Honestly I refuse to be treated like low-end shit ... and I don't take kindly to people who feel superior and try to boss me around.
    Quintessential though, these days I'm self employed and run my own company .... but I've had more low-end jobs than I'd care to count. some were great experiences, some had the best co-workers I've come to know... others were low-end from A-Z and not worth working my arse off for the owner... But if you do this, be prepared that life doesn't get any easier... you're out of work, pretty much on the spot... and will have to come up with a solution.

My point is, you have many options, depending on your life, lifestyle, personality, abilities, situation, etc...
    And as always, if you can prepare for the worst and have a solution handy or at least know that you can live with it, you'll be not that much at the mercy of the other party which can give you a keen advantage in any type of business negotiation.

Cherub

If you've only been there 18 months, that barely enough time to establish yourself as a good worker. If, as you say, in that span of time you've never been in any trouble, use the facts to your advantage.

Bring to their attention that you've never been in any trouble, or caused problems before.
    If in those 18 months you've done something that was 'above and beyond' the scope of your job and they noticed it,,,bring that back to their remembrance!
    If you want to keep your job, regardless of whether you will now look for a new job on your own or not, you could appease their anger and have them place you on a 'once and done' status. Which means if you get caught doing the same thing again,,then you're fired. Simply put away your phone next time a customer comes in. Once you know how temperamental your boss(es) can be, it's easy to live down the 'once and done' probation period.

It would be very harsh for them to fire someone after one small complaint. It is more likely they will give you a telling off. Are there any rules forbidding phones to out on the shop floor? If there is then you will most likely just have to take the punishment.

If they do fire you speak with your local citizen advice in Newcastle. They can provide free legal advice if they feel the case is relevant and that you are in the right. It does not sound right to me that they can fire you for something minor. If you had abused a customer in some way then I could understand a sacking, but just having a phone out...not sackable as a first offence.

Good luck I hope the outcome is favourable for you.

Newcastle Citizens Advice Bureau -

Walking through Gethsemane, eh?

I too lost a job recently, it was definitely my fault. Actually it was this summer, the day after my birthday.

You lose a part of your self, your self confidence, your sense of your future. At my job there were opportunities for advancement and movement within the system as well as benefits that I lost because I made a decision of the heart when I should have made a GOD DAMN decision of the brain.

I worked with some really bright, engaging kids on the Autism Spectrum and their sabotaging, dysfunctional families. There was one kid I really, really empathized with who I reported as a victim of emotional abuse as well as irregular medication by the parents who frequently stopped and started meds without consulting the doctor, basically because they WANTED bad behavior because bad behavior meant more services. I was taken off the case but I kept trying to get a chance to say goodbye to the boy against the family's wishes and my superior's warning. I made calls on my off time to the child abuse hotline, and my office found out. Basically, I crossed boundaries two many times after walking on a tightrope this entire case and that killed my mental health career.

Only direct advice I can give (and this is personal opinion, it might totally be wrong) is to avoid describing mitigating circumstances (i.e. the "yes I did but it was only after I had... " bit. Focus on that you accept you've done something wrong and your promise to never do it again.

Harsh reality is that they've probably already made a decision. The interview is largely to either:
    - "scare you straight/warn others" if they are going to keep you
    - establish constructive/fair dismissal to prevent legal action if you go the wrongful termination route (really not recommended imo).

If I were in this situation, I'd aim for the right mix apologetic without groveling.

Also, and I know you probably don't need to hear this but I just have to say it. Put the damn phone away! They've got a legitimate gripe here (I specifically avoid a certain lawtons here because you go to the counter and they are playing with their phone). It looks really damn unprofessional and legitimately does drive customers away.

I'm agreeing with BoundCoder here. I'm not sure what more information an "investigation" could net (it's not like you're suing them), so more than likely a decision about your future has already been made. Perhaps it hasn't, but if not, there are probably pre-determined outcomes based on what you say. Don't grovel, be apologetic. Admit you shouldn't have done what you did, explain what you should have done instead. When asked why you didn't just do what you should have done in the first place pull out the line "I'm not going to make excuses for myself." Express that you'd like to stay with the company, pull out a superlative or two you've gotten (if you've been there 18 months now, there should have been something noted in your personnel file positive), and tell them you'll accept whatever determination about your future will be made. If you're fired, be magnanimous. Shake hands, tell them you understand, and thank them for the opportunities provided to work there. Ask if you can get a positive reference if a new employer calls.

Quote Originally Posted by deano13 View Post
    Last week we recived a complaint in store that me and another collegue ignored a customer by talking to each other and using a mobile phone , i do not deny this as i have seen the cctv footage , however i did serve my customers , i may not have given them my fullest attention , which is silly , however i think the complaint came from this customer , as my collegue was using my phone , i went to have a look , only after the transaction was at an end and was just waiting for a recipt to print out , i gave it to him and said bye , now i knowit looks bad and i shouldnt have used my phone , but i didnt ignore him as such , just didnt give him my fullest attention
    Yea, if you came to me and said this, I'd have fired you too. Retailers- and I'm guessing you work at one- live and die by their customer service. You're being paid to give customers your fullest attention. If you're not going to, there are a lot of people looking for jobs who happily will.

Quote Originally Posted by deano13 View Post
    well now i have been invited to an investigation tomorow , i could lose my job , boss says its brand damaging and seen as gross misconduct
    I don't disagree with this.

Look, I'm not trying to kick you when you're down or pile on. But it seems like you're trying to justify that what you did wasn't that unacceptable, or that the customer really blew the matter out of proportion. If you want to go someplace in your career you need to ditch that attitude permanently by the time you finish reading this post. The fact you seem emotionally vulnerable over this issue means that it's probably a time this message has a good opportunity to hit home. It's for your own good.

I don't think they need to investigate the facts since they speak for themselves, however, they may be wanting to meet with you to see if you have gained any insight into what happened before they make a final decision. This is the time where you want to acknowledge your transgression and, above all, show some remorse for it. They should consider the length of time you have been with the company and how spotless your record has been up until this incident. I imagine there will be a formal reprimand and it may serve as a final warning. We all make mistakes and hopefully we learn from them.

Best of luck, my friend.