Thread: Shaving

Question Shaving

I know there is a thread on hair removal but it is more for the permanent hair removal. I would like to know how I should continue shaving.

I just shaved my legs and a few other places. I used an electric shaver first and then I used a normal razor.

I used rubbing alcohol to make sure that the pores in my skin were cleaned out and now I am using lotion to see if I cant bring down the irritation and rash. I am also thinking about a baking soda bath for tonight.

I really need to know what I can do to prevent hair from growing back in the wrong way. Last time I shaved I only did my thighs and I got a lot of puss pockets. So any advice would be appreciated.

I have found that when shaving with a blade razor the hair is clipped very sharply and tends to irritate whatever it rubs in contact with.
    With an electric razor the hair is sheared off more squarely and is less apt to cause irritation.
    Either method presents a problem with the possibility of ingrown hair in areas compressed or restricted with clothing.
    A better method is to use an epilator that literary yanks the hair out from its root and therefore while not a permanent solution does
    not cause the ingrown irritation. Electrolysis or Laser is an even better method of removing the hair on a more permanent basis.

Going back a bit - using shaving cream gel or something on that order does help make the hair clipping smoother and less apt for irritation.
    Dry shaving without lubrication tends to cause hair to be clipped on a ragged jagged edge - don't go there and do this !
    Also having the hair wetted and heated under as hot a Turkish towel as you can stand helps then applying the lube does wonders in
    slicing the hair off at skin level. A multi-blade razor is a boon to this task instead of a single edge. Also some cordless electric shavers
    can work with wet skin/hair and do a fairly good job of trimming or at least a prep to a final pass with a blade razor.
    Hot water works best rather than rubbing alcohol which tends to rapidly dry out the skin. You want it wet and flexible so the blade razor
    moves the skin out of the way for the cutting edge to attack the hair. As for baking soda it may be all right for an after shave application
    but I think maybe baby oil might be better or an aloe gel massaged into the skin. Avoid wearing clothing immediately after shaving and
    let any applied stuff to do its work without rubbing it off. Closing point - do you shave one way and then cross or against the grain/growth
    of the hair - try to avoid that - make one clean pass or two in the SAME direction - reversing tends to open the skin to irritation.

Frequent shaving is better than once a week. The less hair being trimmed the better off the shavers work electric or blade.

Darn I still made another mistake. I corrected the idea of using only a razor by using a trimmer and then a razor.

*Dry shaving without lubrication tends to cause hair to be clipped on a ragged jagged edge - don't go there and do this !
    *Hot water works best rather than rubbing alcohol which tends to rapidly dry out the skin.
    *Try to avoid one way and then cross or against the grain/growth of the hair instead make one clean pass or two in the SAME direction (reversing tends to open the skin to irritation.)

Star points made here are quoted from babylock1.

Thanks for the advice. I failed to fallow the general rules you stated. Even though I did not know I could have made a post before hand or at least looked this up on Google.

I use an electric razor to shed off any massive amounts of hair. I then take a normal razor and fine trim most places (face, legs, arms, crotch, etc). And, then I take an epilator to places like my upper lip, knees, elbows and shoulders. Usually makes me super smooth and good to go. I used to use Nair, but it's rather ineffective on me.

Personally, I'm aiming to get laser a few months out, because keeping the hair away is too much work and I have to do it too often.

I need a good epi if anybody knows of one mine tends to just grab the hair yank it and fail to pull it out leaving me irritated and hairy and shaving again.

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyAdella View Post
    I need a good epi if anybody knows of one mine tends to just grab the hair yank it and fail to pull it out leaving me irritated and hairy and shaving again.
    what you need is your electrolysis, Sis.
    pulling the hair out by it's roots is problematic at best..... (gives her a playful & encouraging pat on her bottom)

Quote Originally Posted by littlelodgewrecker View Post
    what you need is your electrolysis, Sis.
    pulling the hair out by it's roots is problematic at best..... (gives her a playful & encouraging pat on her bottom)
    Working on that at the moment but as it is going to be awhile wanted something better than shaving.

CrinklySiren

Using a good razor and good shaving cream is key... a lot of the aerosol can gels are like napalm to your skin; invest in a GOOD razor and a GOOD shaving cream; and make sure to moisturize after you shave. And like Babylock1 said, HOT WATER!! It opens up your pores and loosens your hair and makes it easier to shave.