Thread: Do diapers go bad?

Default Do diapers go bad?

Hey guys,

I have a stash of pampers and huggies that I picked up on sale last year (February or march) and since I bought the cases, they've lasted this long. Anyway, the Huggies Overnights are still total champs and will hold just amazing amounts of pee. The pampers extra protection though seem to have gone bad? They're basically worthless, just a little squirt and they're total mush. Not good fun mush, total jelly. I don't remember them being like this... Does anyone know if diapers can loose capacity or wear out from being stored?

When you buy Abena Diapers the cases have around a 5 year expire date. I imagine the plastic starts to breakdown or get brittle. I have also noticed when stored in damp areas the insides get ruined. So I make sure to store them in a temp controlled area.

Not sure if this helps, but I throw all the drymostat thingies in my stash that I find in medications and in other non food items. Dont know if it helps, but I dont think it hurts.

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjust2 View Post
    When you buy Abena Diapers the cases have around a 5 year expire date. I imagine the plastic starts to breakdown or get brittle. I have also noticed when stored in damp areas the insides get ruined. So I make sure to store them in a temp controlled area.
    Hmm, I guess I'd better find a new location to store my diapers. Currently I have them in the back of the bedroom closet in a small attic-like storage space. The temperature fluctuates depending on the season. I assumed that, as long as I don't break open a pack, then they should be fine. Once I do break open the plastic bag, I usually will use them up in about a month.

i have 3/4 of a case from 2004 of plastic backed diapers, they just smell old now and some of the tapes don't work, so i guess tape degrades over time too.

No way! I have 30 year old Luvs that hold pee like the Hover Dam.
    Of course anything "new and improved" is bound to be not as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjust2 View Post
    When you buy Abena Diapers the cases have around a 5 year expire date.
    Pretty much anything "medical" has an expiry date on it because the manufacturers need something to limit their guarantee or warranty on the product, and I imagine 5 years is a reasonable time period to assume they'll still work as-advertised, but beyond that the company won't vouch for it (even if theoretically they should work). It's the same on medications and medicines that shouldn't go-bad, but still have expiry, such as aspirin or sterile bandages.

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    No way! I have 30 year old Luvs that hold pee like the Hover Dam.
    Of course anything "new and improved" is bound to be not as good.
    I agree with you on that one. I found some old Attends at Savers. It looks like they were made in the mid 90's. They still work great! But I went through them all. Yeah the old diapers are way better than the new and improved diapers.

Darthwader

Technically, yes, at some point diapers will go bad. On packaging (especially baby diapers), there's typically a manufacture and expiration date printed on the side. There are exceptions, as some may be manufactured with a higher quality material, or you just may get lucky. It may also stem from the materials within the diapers themselves, such as the chemical blends in the SAP. There is no real way to judge, especially when Huggies and Pampers are fairly different in design, construction and overall shape. My assumption is the Pampers have a SAP blend that allows it to be thin and lighter than Huggies, but the Huggies probably lasted longer due to the different SAP blend they use.

Diapers will last forever, assuming they aren't exposed to moisture, or excessive heat, or lots of solar radiation (sun)
    If you let some sit out in a closed room for 30 years, I'd bet you could still use them, if there are tapes, the tapes might not work but the diaper itself would definitely be good.
    Keep this in mind when you throw them out to buried in a dump, going to be there for a million years before they are broken down into rock structures.