Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wow, Psycologist has never heard of infantilism or diaper wearers after 40 years in the business

Default Wow, Psycologist has never heard of infantilism or diaper wearers after 40 years in the business

Ok.......I'm totally shocked! And I'm sure I shocked my counselor. He is retiring and I decided to tell him about my issue. I've never kept anything from him accept this because I knew I couldn't be fixed nor did I want him to try and fix me. So 15 minutes before my session ended I decided to tell him about my diapers and asked him if he heard of infantilism and he said whats that? I had to go into more detail and he's never heard or treated anyone. I showed him the Bambino web site and he was like wow. I told him I have been like this my whole life and he asked are you wearing one now and I said yes. I wore sweats to his office and I thought he knew something or could hear the crinkle. I can hear the crinkle. So all these visits he's never known. This was suppose to be my last visit to say bye to him and he wanted to see me one more time. Lol...I told him after 40 years you thought you heard everything....leave it to me to shock you. He laughed. If any of you are wondering why now, it's because I knew I would be going onto a new psycologist and wanted to make sure I go onto the best one he would pick.

Depending on the practice and the person, I wouldn't be all that surprised even if a professional had never heard of us. Even if they have, I would doubt they would have much useful knowledge about us unless they had a prior patient, specialized in kinks, or had experience with similar deviant social behaviors. Then again, I think that a good listener with an open mind could be very helpful and their background would allow them to get up to speed quicker than most.

Possibly......however I don't consider this deviant social behaviors at least from my end. But then again I don't wear for sexual needs.

I've sometimes pondered why there's so little research on ABDL, and why so few therapists and counselors have ever heard of us. I think it comes down to a few factors, which do help to explain why this is.

First, we're pretty rare. Psychologists have heard of foot fetishes, cross-dressing (for sexual and gender dysphoric reasons), BDSM, etc. because they're far more common. And because they're more common, people are more likely to bring them up to a therapist. But ABDL is quite rare. It's clearly more than just a few people, but it's not very common at all. So there are simply fewer of us to bring it up.

Another reason is that we're embarrassed. Most of us are very embarrassed about our interests, so we're extra careful to not be caught, and never to bring up what we do. I've gone to some rather paranoid measures over my privacy at times! And sadly, people often make horrible assumptions about ABDL, so that gives us further reason to stay secret. I know some aren't so worried about hiding, but I think the majority of us would never reveal our interests out of a support site like this one.

Finally - and this is the big one - our desires aren't harmful, typically. Many of us never get to the point where we need to confide in a therapist because we learn ways to manage our interests safely. We learn to accept ourselves, and so there's no need to bring it up to a therapist. If our interests were harming ourselves or others, someone would bring it up to us if we didn't do so ourselves. But what we do is safe and OK. So we never get brought into that situation.

I'm sure there are more, but I think these are the big reasons why so few psychologists know about our interests.

Quote Originally Posted by BambinoPants View Post
    Possibly......however I don't consider this deviant social behaviors at least from my end. But then again I don't wear for sexual needs.
    I would be hard-pressed not to see it as deviant, even if I don't apply a value judgment to deviance. It's weird, I'm just fine with being a bit weird.

The first psychologist i talked to about this never had either. I don't think it is all that common for them to meet an AB/DL, I'd guess 50/50.

Okay a bit weird or different and rare I'm with ya! However, I don't judge, but some on this site indulge in this in a deviant way

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I would be hard-pressed not to see it as deviant, even if I don't apply a value judgment to deviance. It's weird, I'm just fine with being a bit weird.

I have been a deviant since birth and will continue to find new ways to be deviant. Non-Deviants could be considered sheople. And I do not want to be one of those.

Actually, my sex therapist had never heard of it, and she councils everyone from husbands coming out as gay to folks who cant bottom right (?) during bsdm sessions. And, she's the best therapist ever. I couldn't believe it either...I mean, come on, right?...but she had zero clue. It actually made me feel lonlier for a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by BambinoPants View Post
    Okay a bit weird or different and rare I'm with ya! However, I don't judge, but some on this site indulge in this in a deviant way
    One can take most anything to extremes and this is no exception. It's not harmful in and of itself.