Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The abduction

Default The abduction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27St_LzzJ1c

The video you're seeing right now...is not real. This is meant for entertainment purposes only. So i'm sorry if you thought this really happened, I mean it. I hope you understood.

Please comment, like, and/or subscribe:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLJ1qsebAQROUQyjauK1BiA

Yeah, that was so real... like 60ies scifi-real...

I don't want to be talking down what you did, but from there's a couple of "issues" with this if you value constructive criticism:

- Make-up / intro... by suggesting something like "this video is not real... I'm sorry if you thought this really ..." you implement that what I'm about to see should be easily mistaken for something indeed real... you imply that whatever is going to be shown will be scary / confusing / gross / out of the ordinary / realistic / maybe snuff like... whatever - but by creating such a pretense - the film better has to live up to it... this remembers me one of the most awful movies I've seen in my life time: blair witch project... aside from the really stupid story line, the acting the camera, the acting (did I mention the acting), and the really boring and utterly predictable style / action ... well aside from that all, they hyped the movie up as the scariest thing ever, the promotion for the movie lead viewers close to the point of believing what they're about to go and watch.... only to utterly fail to deliver the scare, the realism, the solidity, etc...
    You did something similar with that textual intro... and then a scifi-pseudo abduction that shows, well, nothing.

- Plot/idea: originality. that's entirely lacking... 80ies cinema scifi and tv-scifi was full of abduction and stuff like that... and aside from some light effect in yours, we (the viewers) see nothing... There's not a single protagonist - for all I care you the "aliens" could have abducted your tv.

- Effects - whilst I do appreciate a good b-movie with gory effects at times, we still live in a time where effects to be thrilling need to be darn well made - and I'm not talking high end CGI. Effects should help to build suspense, create motion, create moments of awe or make stuff really believable... but sensor tearing from high powered lights is getting a tad old. and shaky cameras, I've had enough of that for decades to come.

- Sound - Scream... Why? what? who?... without ever seeing the protagonist in agony, the scream will not be believable... aside it's not very convincing / scary... doesn't

I'm sorry that what I have written isn't of an overly positive note, but take it for what it is: criticism...
    If you like making short films - maybe get some books on cinematography, story writing, editing etc...
    Last year I was involved in making a short documentary / making off from the technical side of things - it was a fun project seeing behind the lens of how some stuff is done... and this was a pretty low key operation, none the less the effort it took to produce a 20 minute segment professionally was actually stunning.
    I've done a lot of video editing myself and some filming and photography wise, I've got a load of my part time work actually published in magazines and stuff.
    Aside from my regular work I like the creativity with filming and photography - albeit I'm far from professional... I do this plainly for it's recreational value to myself and because I can be a bit of a tech-geek...
    About two years ago I made a short commercial for a friends company... we worked in a team of four people - which is VERY low key...
    The final "product" - a commercial short documentary about the friends company, something for their website, online promotional work, etc... was 3 minutes long.
    For those three minutes we had over 9 hours (!) of filmed material to work with, spend about 1 week at sorting and cutting, re-cutting, shortening and re-cutting some more. had two days of private pre-screenings, followed by final cut.
    For the filming there were three cameras involved, filming the action from different angles at the same time..... one on a small rail system two "hand held" with proper steady cam systems. The cameras were DSLR type cameras. The outcome was pretty cool.
    Personally I did a lot of the cutting, some of the filming - but also had built the portable rail-system for the work (the rail system with automated feed / carriage was something I had built for a friends small movie making company... ).

What I'd like to point out by this is how much work & time for even a properly made 3 minute segment can be.
    The ultimate challenge with Short movies is trying to deliver your story, introduce characters, follow a plot, have an ending, etc... in a very limited time.
    In that much I had more work on 1-10 minute movies at times than I had on half hour to hour and a half long projects. If the material is complex.

Just saying - keep at it if it's something you like doing - but try to improve.

for example: don't "hype" your film like you did - the reception will be much better.
    try to find a story / plot that's new/original.. or if you take on an often done story / plot, try to be creative / work it unconventionally...
    Don't go over-board with effects... there are some excellent movies out there which have barely any real set, barely any hard effects -but they feed of the acting and story, the way it is being told....

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    Yeah, that was so real... like 60ies scifi-real...

I don't want to be talking down what you did, but from there's a couple of "issues" with this if you value constructive criticism:

- Make-up / intro... by suggesting something like "this video is not real... I'm sorry if you thought this really ..." you implement that what I'm about to see should be easily mistaken for something indeed real... you imply that whatever is going to be shown will be scary / confusing / gross / out of the ordinary / realistic / maybe snuff like... whatever - but by creating such a pretense - the film better has to live up to it... this remembers me one of the most awful movies I've seen in my life time: blair witch project... aside from the really stupid story line, the acting the camera, the acting (did I mention the acting), and the really boring and utterly predictable style / action ... well aside from that all, they hyped the movie up as the scariest thing ever, the promotion for the movie lead viewers close to the point of believing what they're about to go and watch.... only to utterly fail to deliver the scare, the realism, the solidity, etc...
    You did something similar with that textual intro... and then a scifi-pseudo abduction that shows, well, nothing.

- Plot/idea: originality. that's entirely lacking... 80ies cinema scifi and tv-scifi was full of abduction and stuff like that... and aside from some light effect in yours, we (the viewers) see nothing... There's not a single protagonist - for all I care you the "aliens" could have abducted your tv.

- Effects - whilst I do appreciate a good b-movie with gory effects at times, we still live in a time where effects to be thrilling need to be darn well made - and I'm not talking high end CGI. Effects should help to build suspense, create motion, create moments of awe or make stuff really believable... but sensor tearing from high powered lights is getting a tad old. and shaky cameras, I've had enough of that for decades to come.

- Sound - Scream... Why? what? who?... without ever seeing the protagonist in agony, the scream will not be believable... aside it's not very convincing / scary... doesn't

I'm sorry that what I have written isn't of an overly positive note, but take it for what it is: criticism...
    If you like making short films - maybe get some books on cinematography, story writing, editing etc...
    Last year I was involved in making a short documentary / making off from the technical side of things - it was a fun project seeing behind the lens of how some stuff is done... and this was a pretty low key operation, none the less the effort it took to produce a 20 minute segment professionally was actually stunning.
    I've done a lot of video editing myself and some filming and photography wise, I've got a load of my part time work actually published in magazines and stuff.
    Aside from my regular work I like the creativity with filming and photography - albeit I'm far from professional... I do this plainly for it's recreational value to myself and because I can be a bit of a tech-geek...
    About two years ago I made a short commercial for a friends company... we worked in a team of four people - which is VERY low key...
    The final "product" - a commercial short documentary about the friends company, something for their website, online promotional work, etc... was 3 minutes long.
    For those three minutes we had over 9 hours (!) of filmed material to work with, spend about 1 week at sorting and cutting, re-cutting, shortening and re-cutting some more. had two days of private pre-screenings, followed by final cut.
    For the filming there were three cameras involved, filming the action from different angles at the same time..... one on a small rail system two "hand held" with proper steady cam systems. The cameras were DSLR type cameras. The outcome was pretty cool.
    Personally I did a lot of the cutting, some of the filming - but also had built the portable rail-system for the work (the rail system with automated feed / carriage was something I had built for a friends small movie making company... ).

What I'd like to point out by this is how much work & time for even a properly made 3 minute segment can be.
    The ultimate challenge with Short movies is trying to deliver your story, introduce characters, follow a plot, have an ending, etc... in a very limited time.
    In that much I had more work on 1-10 minute movies at times than I had on half hour to hour and a half long projects. If the material is complex.

Just saying - keep at it if it's something you like doing - but try to improve.

for example: don't "hype" your film like you did - the reception will be much better.
    try to find a story / plot that's new/original.. or if you take on an often done story / plot, try to be creative / work it unconventionally...
    Don't go over-board with effects... there are some excellent movies out there which have barely any real set, barely any hard effects -but they feed of the acting and story, the way it is being told....

Just so you know, I wasn't trying to create a story or any of that shit, okay, I just did this out of boredom, so don't take this too seriously, really. As for your info on the blair witch project, it may have been kinda awful at times, but let's face it, that movie made a lot of money and was very successful at the time. That is, until we got a shitty sequel.)

I thought it was good, for a short but sweet video, a lot of movies use the hand held camera effect and some times it can work out better than these overrated high budget movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaman87 View Post
    Just so you know, I wasn't trying to create a story or any of that shit, okay, I just did this out of boredom, so don't take this too seriously, really. As for your info on the blair witch project, it may have been kinda awful at times, but let's face it, that movie made a lot of money and was very successful at the time. That is, until we got a shitty sequel.)
    Ok - you did this out of boredom and yet were asking for feedback on it... go figure.

Ok - you did this out of boredom and yet were asking for feedback on it... go figure.
    Problem?

Interesting, got the feel of a teaser about a teen horror. Like the mini glimpse of the alien/ghost.

EPO1 is right though, you did ask for comments, he was only trying to be helpful, even if he does sound harsh and over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaman87 View Post
    Yeah, obviously. But really, it was meant to be that way.
    I guess you have to learn how to handle criticism.

Whenever you put works of your out in the public and especially when you actively ask for opinions - be prepared to not just be patted on the back and be told "well done".

I guess you have to learn how to handle criticism.

Whenever you put works of your out in the public and especially when you actively ask for opinions - be prepared to not just be patted on the back and be told "well done".
    No shit, sherlock, I already know that! I just posted it to share it with others, nothing much. I don't give much of a crap about critisism.