Thread: Being a "Little" from an Autistic Perspective...#2

Default Being a "Little" from an Autistic Perspective...#2

As a person with Autism and Cerebral Palsy, I have never felt fully "grown-up". I believe I have mentioned this before. Socially, the "Adult World" is profoundly difficult for me to understand. So many "social rules" to keep track of. At my age of 55, my Autistic-wired mind is too "overloaded" trying to keep up and function as an adult. Simple childhood play alone by myself is cognitively easier to manage. It is late in the evening at ~ 10:30 PM, and I am on the floor in my bedroom, mutely playing with some of my Matchbox and Hot Wheels toy cars and trucks. This makes me feel happy. I regress alone by myself and never bother anybody. It is simply the way I am. At this time of night, my younger non-disabled brother is in bed and asleep. Am I the only other adult Autistic who stays up very late and mutely plays with children's toys?

No, you're not. I always stay up late, and sometimes I just read (although that's something I've liked since I was a little kid, too), but last night I stayed up coloring with crayons, and other times I play with my doll and put dresses on her and stuff.
    I never make much noise while I play at night, either. It's just nice to be alone, and happy.

I stay up late with the computer. In my teens it was just video games or computer or TV. I only go to bed early if I am tired but I can't always get to sleep so I get up and stay up until two in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by kaikadragon View Post
    No, you're not. I always stay up late, and sometimes I just read (although that's something I've liked since I was a little kid, too), but last night I stayed up coloring with crayons, and other times I play with my doll and put dresses on her and stuff.
    I never make much noise while I play at night, either. It's just nice to be alone, and happy.
    Lots of times, I also mutely hug and play with "Precious", my own soft baby folly friend. I sleep with her every night. She helps me to "feel safe and loved".

Yeah. Sometimes I love being autistic. In the last month, I got my mom to help me get a large, fluffy toy puppy and a travel cup with those built in rubber straws, and she didn't think anything of it.
    Also, I can't really imagine constantly wanting to be with people while I do things. It seems like it would get lonely, if you have oddball hobbies like mine.