Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E-Cigarettes

Default E-Cigarettes

Just a little background, I am not a smoker and never will do traditional smoking, but I am curious about the E-Cig. It's almost like a sophisticated pacifier for adults. Ironically a friend who knows of my pacifier addiction is using the E-Cig now.

My question is what are the health risks for a new user as compared to traditional cigarettes? This is the only factor I have concerns with. Is the E-Cig just as dangerous, if not any danger at all, to one's health?

Which is why I never smoked a traditional cigarette and never will, just too much health risk and the smell is unbearable. So would an E-Cig have any harmful effects on the health of the human body?

June

They can't be as dangerous as cigarettes. They lack tobacco, which contains many of the damaging carcinogens that cause smokers health problems.

I gave up smoking, it's been 1 month and I don't miss it.

They're a gateway drug to HEROIN I tell you!!! Okay, just kidding, but they do give you a load of nicotine and nicotine in greater quantities is a poison. If I didn't smoke, I certainly wouldn't start. Nicotine has a lot of serious health issues, so why start. If I was a smoker and wanted to lessen the damage of smoking tobacco, I probably would consider it, especially if I was using it to quit smoking. For the record, I am an ex smoker, and I'm very glad I quit. No good can come of it, only harm.

If you're purchasing refillable cartridges, you can get Nic-Free fluids (Or if you just want to try and nicotine free one, look for "Vapur" brand.) At that point, they're basically flavored Glycerol or Propylene Glycol (Often a blend of these two) liquids.

As far as health risks go, it's pretty minimal, though some might question PG for something you potentially inhale. With either substance, one may wish to keep in mind that they're humectants (They draw water to themselves), so heavy use could lead to...moist lungs? (Never heard of anything serious arising from this though)

I'd suggest if you get one, just puff on it like a cigar. Get the flavor without inhaling, as the hot vapor usually makes folks cough anyhow.

kayley

I won't let them in my restaurant. First and foremost, the residue gets on the glassware hanging over the bar, and costs me an extra 2 hours of labor a night. Not to mention all the pictures on the wall, the signs, the windows, the wood paneling etc.

PEG is a carcinogen. But it's going away, replaced by PG. PG is used in everything from makeup to deodorant. Its been deemed safe in foods and skin care products in small quantities. However none of those recommendations are for inhaling it. The people who work with PGs daily have to wear protective suits, gloves, and respirators. The MDF for safe handling says avoid ingestion and skin contact.

Potential Acute Health Effects:
    Hazardous in case of ingestion. Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant, permeator), of eye contact (irritant), of
    inhalation.
    Potential Chronic Health Effects:
    Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (sensitizer). The substance may be
    toxic to central nervous system (CNS). Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage.

People want this to be safe. and there are a lot of people standing around telling each other it's safe. That doesn't mean it's safe. The facts don't really support it, but there isn't enough evidence to condemn it yet either. There hasn't been enough research on the effects of of inhaling PG habitually for us to know yet one way or the other.

If I wanted to partake in a little smoking of some substance, ... say.. catnip... =>.>= .... I would rather not take the risks of an unknown chemistry mucking it up. But then I don't even like bleached... catnip rolling papers... =<.<=

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kayley View Post
    I won't let them in my restaurant. First and foremost, the residue gets on the glassware hanging over the bar, and costs me an extra 2 hours of labor a night. Not to mention all the pictures on the wall, the signs, the windows, the wood paneling etc.
    In a restaurant there must be lots of steam from cooking... and from all those bodies perspiring. I can't imagine that there is much non-water-based residue exhaled from a vaporiser... Certainly not enough that one or two "vapes" could cause you two hours of extra cleaning a day! If that were the case, vapers' homes would be filthy unless they spent half the day cleaning!

Having said all that, the safety of these devices is unknown. I imagine that they are probably far less harmful than cigarettes, but why try them unless you're managing a pre-existing nicotine addiction?

As far as I know, nicotine is more-or-less harmless (in "normal" doses); it's the other contaminants that you are inhaling (whether from burning leaves or vaporising chemicals) that are most damaging to health.

If you want to stick something in your mouth and don't have a burning desire to become needlessly addicted to drugs, try one of these: or or... if ya like bubbles: !

Two hours of cleaning bid has got to be just not informed person. That doesn't make sense in any sort of setting.
    Nothing is good for you. Always remember this. I love ecigs, I love the portability.
    I do not care what is healthy and what is not. If I enjoy it, I will do it. These do not harm others, so legislating against them is completely undermine freedom.

My wife vapes occasionally when she can't smoke; or when she's out. She's slowly quitting actual cigarettes (thank ye Jesus...) and going to the vape. We have so many vape batteries lying around, I will occasionally steal a vape stick and load it up with 0mg e-juice, just to have something to curb my oral fixation at work or just sitting around at the bar. I do what someone (above) suggested and use it like a cigar, I don't inhale anything, just taste the flavor

Quote Originally Posted by paciloverbaby3 View Post
    My question is what are the health risks for a new user as compared to traditional cigarettes? This is the only factor I have concerns with. Is the E-Cig just as dangerous, if not any danger at all, to one's health? ...So would an E-Cig have any harmful effects on the health of the human body?
    There is zero doubt that this is a healthier alternative to normal cigattes. There is a 100% reduction in carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and tar from the burning of tobacco. Additionally, all harmful tobacco chemicals, additives, and packaging are eliminated such as arsenic (absolutely not healthy). However, it is not without some health risks you will want to carefully consider.

The liquid ingredients on my bottle is propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, natural and artificial flavorings, and nicotine liquid. All of those ingredients from my prefered source are FDA approved except for nicotine. A study was done in 2009 regarding the e-cigs using liquid from China which did raise concerns about possible ingredients in the liquid. My question regarding the study is why anyone would inhale or ingest anything from China. Pay attention to the source; made in the USA will be safer than China. Just consider when the last time lead paint was found on child toys made in China.

As for the nicotine, you should avoid it as much as possible. It is extremely addicting, upsets the body's natural chemical balance and production, and may be difficult to stop using. Do you really want to be dependent upon an outside chemical to regulate your mood? As someone who has wanted to stop smoking for 11 of 14 years smoking, I think not. Nicotine used to be a pesticide before it was banned as being too unhealthy. The Food and Drug Administration does not regulate it because it should not be in your food or drugs except for smoking cessation aids. Do you really want nicotine in your body? Except for the addiction risk, it is no more dangerous than caffeine in normal quantities and does not present any long-term health risks. However, I sympathize with anyone trying to quite and everyone else who must interact with them at that time.

As Dogboy pointed out, e-cigs may contain excessive quantities of nicotine. A person may easily overdose on nicotine with an E-cig and my person experience says that is bad. My local supplier will sell me liquid containing between 0 and 36 mG of nicotine per mL with 18 mG being standard. For comparison, the highest strenght nicotine patch is 21 mG for an entire day's dosage. Heavy smokers usually use between 1 and 2 mL per day. I have used 1 mL in an hour a few times. Doing that with 30 mG per mL liquid had me considering 911. My e-cigs use Kanger refillable tanks with a replaceable bottom coil. One tank and battery will last all day. However, I risk exposure to the liquid every time I mess with the tank. One day, I spilt an entire tank (3mL) of liquid on my hand and was overdosed on nicotine before I could clean up the mess. Why would you desire to intentionally expose yourself to such risks unnecessarily?

Having said all this, nicotine is a popular substance which many people enjoy and can be much-more safely enjoyed through the use of e-cigs. There are some remaining health concerns similar in magnitude to my enjoyment of soda; yes, it is not doctor- recommended. On the other hand, smokers report their lungs are much healthier after switching, cease having a smoker's cough, and feel much healthier. You could even enjoy e-cigs without the nicotine and enjoy the vapor without any hazardous chemicals. Please let us know what you decide.