Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Why Women Aren't Welcome on the Internet"

Default "Why Women Aren't Welcome on the Internet"

I'll be honest. This is a really long read. So, let me sum it up very briefly for you all who want to participate in a discussion but don't have time to read this article. Generally, women get harassed on the internet at a substantially higher rate than men.

Feminine usernames incurred an average of 100 sexually explicit or threatening messages a day. Masculine names received 3.7.
    This is just one example of data, but the article is chock full of data like this. We're not talking about one shady website here at all.

I've noticed in my own internet usage that whenever I make a more "male" username or make my avatar male when gaming or otherwise, a few interesting things tend to happen. First, I get treated more seriously. The things I say tend to matter more. When gaming, my ideas and strategies are listened to much more often than brushed aside. I get babied less, and given free gear/coin far less. People assume I know how to play the game. When chatting/posting to forums as a male, I so far have never been threatened or sexually harassed. (But it happens, sometimes to men, too.)

In contrast, when gaming with a female avatar or female name, I get treated as though I'm confused and new, no matter my level, gear or my style of play. Many people assume I'm on my 'boyfriend's' account or that this hypothetical boyfriend did all the work on my character for me. Often I would get threats such as those described in this article, some death threats, and quite a few rape threats. It varied by game. For example, I got way fewer threats when playing MMOs than something like a FPS. When in a social forum/chatroom I identify myself as female, I often get very forward propositions! Quite a few threats and random barrages of hatred, too.

I also made two usernames on Reddit. One female, one male. Now, Reddit has a history of treating women badly. I have to say, this is unfortunately true. I gave up on and deleted my "female" username where my comment history showed that I was female, and now only comment with my fake male persona. Everything I write is exactly the same, but if I ever refer to myself, I claim I'm male, or don't make any claim to gender at all. I get treated quite well now!

This is not particularly a problem on ADISC, however. I want to make that clear. I have only received maybe a handful of interesting propositions, not one of which was "interesting" enough to report to the mods. I think this is in part due to the level of moderation on this site, the ability to report private messages, and the community/social atmosphere here.

So first, let me thank ADISC for being one of the safest places on the internet for me, and other women I assume/hope, to hang out without having to lie about my gender (which is against the rules anyhow.) And second, I was wondering what you all have experienced on the internet. Has anyone else played with their gender online, and noticed differences in the way you were treated? Any males here switched to female to see what would happen? Have a story to share? Has anyone else noticed being threatened and sexually harassed as a woman? Any other ideas and comments to add?

Let's discuss!

Well it is correct that women tend to get allot of harassing so do men. Men however tend to shy away from telling people how they feel. So the ratio of men vs women being harassed might not be as large as a gap. I feel awful when I see/hear people being harassed. Statistics are not absolutely without fault. There is more to this than black, and white.

The article did describe some other problems, too. Like the relative newness of the internet and resulting lack of laws, and the confusion of many police officers over what constitutes an online crime. Overall though, I can see that a lot of it is not taking the threats against Amanda Hess seriously. It's not just the typical immature online insults you see on most forums, either. A rape threat is a very specific, deliberate attempt to cause fear. Why else would you threaten it? Whether or not the person was serious about this threat, it was clearly intended to scare her. If a person threatens to rape another person, I'm convinced it must be some sort of power play. And it probably wouldn't have the same effect on a male poster, unless said poster had previously experienced sexual assault or had it happen to a loved one. It's a very specific anti-female insult.

It's easy to chalk this up to the anonymity of online culture. But even with anonymity,why would you ever try and hurt someone like that? It seems like she was attacked for her columns on sex. Clearly, someone read this column and saw it as a threat, and thought she had to be scared off. If a piece of writing bothers you that much that you have to terrorize someone, then clearly you perceive it as a threat. Perhaps that's the nature of the internet, too. If something's posted online, we feel threatened by it. It's like reading a book or seeing a poster. If it's in print, it's out there and people are agreeing with it! It triggers some kind of threat response, and people attack. So I think the internet is part of the reason why this happens, but not just because of anonymity. It's also because of natural responses to a threat.

In a general case, though? Most women don't blog about controversial issues online. So is a woman considered a threat to the online culture for some reason? The computer world is often seen as a boy's corner, and perhaps some guys become desperate to defend it. There's still a lot of internalized sexism that comes out in all-male environments. This doesn't mean all men are evil, by any means. But it shows that sexism is far from dead. If women on the internet are seen as such a threat that it's OK to send rape threats because you disagree with them, that's a sign of some profound sexism.

A really interesting read, overall! I'd love to try posting somewhere under a female alias. I've sometimes wondered why I don't get hit on here despite having a girly avatar and the LG label (and people have thought I'm a girl for long periods of time). I'm curious as to how many people click on me planning to get all flirty, see that I'm actually a boy, and run off feeling icky. It'd be amusing to see!

Quote Originally Posted by Tridim View Post
    Well it is correct that women tend to get allot of harassing so do men. Men however tend to shy away from telling people how they feel. So the ratio of men vs women being harassed might not be as large as a gap. I feel awful when I see/hear people being harassed. Statistics are not absolutely without fault. There is more to this than black, and white.
    While I understand that men are less likely to report online abuse, the study I quoted didn't get their data from reports. It was set up and conducted by a university, so all those male and female user names were just there to collect data on what types of messages they received. I think from my own experience and from the data we have available, even accounting for men being less likely to report, there is still a substantial threat to women online versus men online. It extends to the real world, as well, where online harassment tends to only further cause paranoia in women who already have much to fear.

I, for one, wish for a world where people will quit the train of thought that some patriarchy is trying to oppress women and that they'd realize that no one actually gives a shit whether someone is a woman or not, and it has literally nothing to do with anything and it hasn't for decades.

But I don't see that happening in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    no one actually gives a shit whether someone is a woman or not, and it has literally nothing to do with anything and it hasn't for decades.
    Source?

That is different from what I usually get for facts on data. Usually somehow it is skewed in such a way to make it look right. Thank you for setting me straight. Also I think why you get allot less harassment here is because for the most part we are protective of our community members. You are right about Adisc standards does allot of good to protect us. Though standards means nothing without real people to take it seriously. I am curious to know how it makes you feel when you have to hide your gender? I think it would get old over time, and kind of hurtful. I'm sorry females are targeted like that, but I know women that are no push overs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogsy View Post
    While I understand that men are less likely to report online abuse, the study I quoted didn't get their data from reports. It was set up and conducted by a university, so all those male and female user names were just there to collect data on what types of messages they received. I think from my own experience and from the data we have available, even accounting for men being less likely to report, there is still a substantial threat to women online versus men online. It extends to the real world, as well, where online harassment tends to only further cause paranoia in women who already have much to fear.

I, for one, wish for a world where people will quit the train of thought that some patriarchy is trying to oppress women and that they'd realize that no one actually gives a shit whether someone is a woman or not, and it has literally nothing to do with anything and it hasn't for decades.

But I don't see that happening in the near future.
    Really?

There is still PLENTY of sexism against women in the world today. Much of it is religious based. Just look at Muslim countries that prohibit women from driving cars, among other things. Walmart has been sued by female employees, claiming they were payed less and given less chance for promotions. Believe it or not there are still people in this world today who think women belong barefoot in the kitchen with babies on their hips.

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaStarshine View Post
    Really?

There is still PLENTY of sexism against women in the world today. Much of it is religious based. Just look at Muslim countries that prohibit women from driving cars, among other things. Walmart has been sued by female employees, claiming they were payed less and given less chance for promotions. Believe it or not there are still people in this world today who think women belong barefoot in the kitchen with babies on their hips.
    Yes, really. The things you're talking about are 1) religious based and in countries that are dominated by religion and 2) closed incidents.

There is very little "oppression" happening to women today. I'm not denying that there are sexist people, because there is a type of person for every type of situation, but women have had it very well off in the past several decades. Not only that, but women were actually catered to in times long past.

Women have a shit ton more benefits than they choose to believe, much more so than men do, believe that or not. I don't care. I'm simply telling you: there is no oppression, there is no gigantic sexist movement holding women down, and sexism is not nearly a common thing as most feminists believe. Women have been catered to many times in the past, and men have put themselves in much worse off positions so that women have a better way of life, yet we never hear about the men who get the short end of the stick, do we?

Sexism is a thing, no one is denying that. Large scale sexism, however, is not a thing, and women have a ton of advantages over men which are never spoken of, because double-standards are a large part of this community.
    Last edited by Eulogy; 09-Jan-2014 at 21:07. Reason: Redacted a rude remark.

Yes, really. The things you're talking about are 1) religious based and in countries that are dominated by religion and 2) closed incidents.

There is very little "oppression" happening to women today. I'm not denying that there are sexist people, because there is a type of person for every type of situation, but women have had it very well off in the past several decades. Not only that, but women were actually catered to in times long past.

Women have a shit ton more benefits than they choose to believe, much more so than men do, believe that or not. I don't care. I'm simply telling you: there is no oppression, there is no gigantic sexist movement holding women down, and sexism is not nearly a common thing as most feminists believe. Women have been catered to many times in the past, and men have put themselves in much worse off positions so that women have a better way of life, yet we never hear about the men who get the short end of the stick, do we?

Sexism is a thing, no one is denying that. Large scale sexism, however, is not a thing, and women have a ton of advantages over men which are never spoken of, because double-standards are a large part of this community.
    Unfortunately there will always be discrepancies in how both men and women will be treated, simply due to gender stereotyping and what is considered ''fit for men'' or ''fit for women.'' Society has simply failed to see that people are people no matter what reproductive organs they were born with, and that just about any special treatment based on sex alone is wrong.
    Last edited by Eulogy; 09-Jan-2014 at 21:07. Reason: Removed a quote of removed content.