Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest way to update os

Default Cheapest way to update os

I currently have Vista, but I feel like it's time to update. I'm looking to get Windows 8.1, but I'm a little strapped for cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    There's always Ubuntu. Free. Using it right now.
    That would be the best choice for most looking for something stable and cheap, I agree.

I am also agree with open source software and so, but what about the compatibility between windows/linux applications? They are different worlds

For the OP question if you want to stay with Microsoft i would suggest 7 Home premium. all new software still supports it, its more stable than vista, win 7 [in my opinion] is the Best OS microsoft has ever made, very easy to use, AND ONLY $100. heres a link.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Newegg.com

as for Windows 8 setting it up to run on an old desktop is a pain in the ass because first you have to update BIOS to acctually support Win 8 then you have to install it, and if you don't have touch screen i would suggest delving deep into settings and disable any motion activated features because it getts annoying when at desktop and trying to drag something and it automaticly closes desktop and opens a the first app in the home screen. oh and once you actually get it set up, kiss goodbye the oppertunity to use any other OS or overclock or anything that has to be done in BIOS because now your computer will skip BIOS on boot. i have heard rumors you can still get into BIOS but have never acctually found out how to do it or have never seen it done.
    Last edited by Eulogy; 08-Jan-2014 at 05:37. Reason: Removal of deleted post/un-needed fluff

PaddedPuppy

Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    For the OP question if you want to stay with Microsoft i would suggest 7 Home premium. all new software still supports it, its more stable than vista, win 7 [in my opinion] is the Best OS microsoft has ever made, very easy to use, AND ONLY $100. heres a link.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Newegg.com

as for Windows 8 setting it up to run on an old desktop is a pain in the ass because first you have to update BIOS to acctually support Win 8 then you have to install it, and if you don't have touch screen i would suggest delving deep into settings and disable any motion activated features because it getts annoying when at desktop and trying to drag something and it automaticly closes desktop and opens a the first app in the home screen. oh and once you actually get it set up, kiss goodbye the oppertunity to use any other OS or overclock or anything that has to be done in BIOS because now your computer will skip BIOS on boot. i have heard rumors you can still get into BIOS but have never acctually found out how to do it or have never seen it done.
    Is this from your personal experience of installing Windows 8? I'm a little confused as to what went on there. Win8 will install just like Vista and 7 on any standard computer of an older age. I put it on a computer thats just turned 10 years old without problem. You don't need to update your BIOS or anything as it will still install in legacy mode.

If you did choose to update to UEFI (If its even available as an update - most didnt bother with this) then you can still access all of the BIOS settings inside of Windows 8 itself. When you are in the system you just move your mouse to the right and go to PC settings. And of course if you're fast enough on startup you can still get in with the usual F2/DEL key

Windows 8 definitely takes some getting used to. I suggest you give it another try. See if you can live with it for a week, on the default settings. Even the features you think are made for touch only start to work out for the mouse user too. Once youre used to it, its actually a nicer experience than 7 provides.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom76 View Post
    I am also agree with open source software and so, but what about the compatibility between windows/linux applications? They are different worlds
    Yes and no. Obviously you can't use Microsoft Office on Ubuntu or other linux variants. I use Open Office on my Vista machine, and the Ubuntu version on this one. There are some formatting functions that don't transfer, but they're basically compatible. Of course pictures and music files all work just fine. i don't even bother storing music and pictures on this box, I access them on the Windows machine via my home network.

If you need to use Microsoft Office for some reason, you can go back and forth with Open Office if you're careful with your 'save as' formats.

I use Gimp for photos on both, and Clementine for music on Ubuntu. There's even a Pandora app call Pithos for Ubuntu.

I don't do much in the way of games, so I can't comment on that end of it.

What I do know is that everything will run way better and faster with Ubuntu than it ever did with Vista.
    Last edited by Maxx; 08-Jan-2014 at 17:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Yes and no. Obviously you can't use Microsoft Office on Ubuntu or other linux variants.

If you need to use Microsoft Office for some reason, you can go back and forth with Open Office if you're careful with your 'save as' formats.

I use Gimp for photos on both, and Clementine for music on Ubuntu. There's even a Pandora app call Pithos for Ubuntu.

I don't do much in the way of games, so I can't comment on that end of it.

What I do know is that everything will run way better and faster with Ubuntu than it ever did with Vista.
    you can indeed run MS Office on Ubuntu i have done it on my last laptop with Ubuntu 8.04 and MS office 2008. though i later found Libre Office and it works better and crosses between MS and open office. AND its Free

As for Games i would say Check Steam i know L4D 1&2 run on Linux and pretty much anything else Valve Makes, ALOT of Older Windows Games Will Run in Ubuntu Via Wine (i know oblivion works becuse i used to play it on linux) and Steam has a Linux Client and has a decent selection of games though Not Many are mainstream

and for Shooters Counter Strike 1.6 is avalable for Linux Via Steam

Quote Originally Posted by babygohan View Post
    I currently have Vista, but I feel like it's time to update. I'm looking to get Windows 8.1, but I'm a little strapped for cash.

Don't pirate, pirating is bad mkay. Even though its extremely easy.

Anyways over on newegg I think Windows 8 copies have been cheaper then windows 7. Though you'll still need to pay at least 70 bucks because well, microsoft just doesn't have enough money.
    Last edited by Fire2box; 08-Jan-2014 at 20:13.

Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    you can indeed run MS Office on Ubuntu i have done it on my last laptop with Ubuntu 8.04 and MS office 2008. though i later found Libre Office and it works better and crosses between MS and open office. AND its Free
    Really!! That's what I get for making assumptions. I think I have legal disks to a couple old versions of MSO around here somewher, although no pressing need to try it.

My understanding of LibreOffice is that its done by the same group that does OpenOffice. The look and feel is certainly the same.