Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My fellow Britons - what do you think about the word "nappy"?

Default My fellow Britons - what do you think about the word "nappy"?

I've noticed quite a lot of British members here - myself included - seem to say "diaper"; however, in British English, the word is practically unheard of. To me, the word nappy has always seemed really weird - just reading it makes me feel strange and awkward. It seems to carry some odd feelings with it.

If I ever had occasion to talk about them IRL I'd call them "nappies", because using an American word would seem out of place. And if I was ever doing some TB roleplay, I would most likely say nappy, because it just sort of feels cuter - which I guess is one of the reasons I'd rather not say it at any other time. It's a lot easier to just say "diaper" online, because it just feels like a normal word. If I said nappy a lot I could probably get used to it, and I do really like the word - it feels kinda nice to say. But it's a lot simple to stick with diaper.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else felt a similar way about this, or if you just use the word diaper because that's just what everyone else says. And Americans: do you have weird feelings about the word diaper like what I described? And what do you think of the word nappy?

Peachy

I have a somewhat similar feeling about the word "diaper" compared to the German word for it - "Windel". I can say the word "diaper" (or "nappy", if you prefer) without instantly getting all the mental images and emotions in my head about how everyone considers diapers dirty and without feeling embarrassed. Saying the German word on the other hand triggers all those emotions and, most of the time, makes me say that word in a soft and quiet voice after a short break in the flow of my words. But "diaper"...I can say that out loud like any other English word and not feel a thing!

Peachy

Actually I get this weird feeling that many of the users here have when they hear the word "nappy"...only thing is that I get it when I hear the word "diaper". It has always been like that, "nappy" doesn't work on me apparently -.- .

soren456

Quote Originally Posted by Jack26 View Post
    And Americans: do you have weird feelings about the word diaper like what I described? And what do you think of the word nappy?
    I have happy feelings. Not weird ones. But it is an emotionally loaded word, that's for sure.

I overhear it really easily, as if my ear were attuned to it; it pops right out of conversations I might be near, and I hear it in TV commercials and dialog to which I am not paying attention otherwise.

I remember that as a kid, I used to look up the word diaper in dictionaries and such, just to see the word in print and to read the definition(s). Did it all the time.

"Nappy" is not nearly as evocative to me. In fact, it holds no real emotional jolt. If I hear or read it, I translate it back into "diaper," and then it has.

Don't know if this is responsive to your question.
    Last edited by soren456; 29-Dec-2008 at 02:11. Reason: Fixed a typo

I used to say "nappy" (on here I'm talking about that) most of the time, but now I think I use diaper nearly all the time.

Damn Americans warping my mind! Perhaps there's been a rise in American members since I joined. Or perhaps with a larger user base and Americans being a large percentage of members there's some many 'diapers' flying around that it just seems the norm.

I like the word diaper because it is a verb too, so that automatically lets it get used more, and adds more words "diapered, diapering". So I might as well say "diaper" instead of "put a nappy on".

The word "nappy" feels better though, I kind of like not using it in some ways. "Diaper" feels empty so I can use it all I want, "nappy" feels more special.

EmeraldsAndLime

I personally prefer the usage of the word "diaper", although "nappy" is the term that is always used down here.

Don't know why really, but "nappy" just doesn't roll off the tongue nicely. It's like a word that you almost have to take consideration in saying, which (to me anyway) gives it a bit of a forced and harsh tone to it. It doesn't even sound cute or anything anyway...

"Nappy" is a word that has nothing but [real] baby connotations that go along with it. By that, I mean whenever I hear the word being said, I instantly think babies and/or baby nappies. However, the word "diaper" is what I relate to this fetish, so whenever I hear it my thoughts go straight to infantilism and my own experiences with them, which is a lot more self-pleasing!

To top it off, I'm really not all that comfortable with "nappy" being said around me, or conversing about diapers in terms of "nappies". The word certainly perks my attention a lot more than "diaper", but as I just said, I think it's because I'm a little peeved about how the word sounds.

I'm 1/4 British and my mom has citizenship, so I'll give a short response: nappy sounds like napkin, which is probably where the word comes from anyways.

you britons are lucky: you get to talk about diapers all you want, but keep the word "nappy" special. i remember when i could barely bring myself to pronounce the word "diaper" out loud, and if anyone said it in a conversation near me i had to concentrate to prevent myself from jumping, or looking nervously over my shoulders or something.

nowadays i'm totally innured to it. the word "diaper" does nothing for me anymore. i sort of miss the way it used to make me feel when i heard it.

Error404

Quote Originally Posted by Incomplete Dude View Post
    I'm 1/4 British and my mom has citizenship, so I'll give a short response: nappy sounds like napkin, which is probably where the word comes from anyways.
    Actually...I believe it came from 'Nap', an article for children to sleep in. (Or nap, as we English call a sleep in the middle of the day, not sure if anyone knows it as anything different, maybe a 'kip' or 'fiesta'.)

So, when a child is going to sleep or nap, use a nappy. *Sage nod.*

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    I have a somewhat similar feeling about the word "diaper" compared to the German word for it - "Windel". I can say the word "diaper" (or "nappy", if you prefer) without instantly getting all the mental images and emotions in my head about how everyone considers diapers dirty and without feeling embarrassed. Saying the German word on the other hand triggers all those emotions and, most of the time, makes me say that word in a soft and quiet voice after a short break in the flow of my words. But "diaper"...I can say that out loud like any other English word and not feel a thing!

Peachy
    i am on the same boat, and to be honest the work diaper is more likely to make u fit in, everyone (well almost) everyone calls them diapers on this site, and i personall have start calling the diapers on MSN too, nappies in RL tho, the main reason is the opposite to what i have above, i fit in more saying nappies in UK, also diapers is easier for touch typests as you dont need to strike the same key twice and straight away move the Y with ur right index finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Error404 View Post
    Actually...I believe it came from 'Nap', an article for children to sleep in. (Or nap, as we English call a sleep in the middle of the day, not sure if anyone knows it as anything different, maybe a 'kip' or 'fiesta'.)

So, when a child is going to sleep or nap, use a nappy. *Sage nod.*
    and the word does come from Napkin as thats what the first diapers, nappies, windels or wat ever were made from, i actually researched that topic :$