Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make A Random Sentence

Default Make A Random Sentence

I have a hypothesis as to what goes on in people's minds when they are asked to make a "random" sentence, but I'm curious to see some. If anyone cares to reply.

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously!

(what's your hypothesis? I'm not sure if a person alone can make a truly random sentence -- language, esp. written, is a very conscious thing. I think the closest you could get to one is with these "write a word, fold the paper, pass it to the next person, etc."-type of games.)

Smile

At two o'clock yesterday, a man with bagpipes boarded a train for Edinburgh.

(What's the hypothesis? And what do you mean by a "random" sentence? Does it have to be meaningful? Does it have to be logically coherent? Does it have to be unambiguous? Does it have to relate to reality, or could it be describe an imaginary event such as the chap with bagpipes?)

Quote Originally Posted by fondo View Post
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously!

(what's your hypothesis? I'm not sure if a person alone can make a truly random sentence -- language, esp. written, is a very conscious thing. I think the closest you could get to one is with these "write a word, fold the paper, pass it to the next person, etc."-type of games.)
    Well, usually people people mention animals doing something somewhere. Colors and adverbs drag out the sentence to be as descriptive as possible. I kind of like to see of making random sentences as a serious art no matter how dumb it is.

- - - Updated - - -

(What's the hypothesis? And what do you mean by a "random" sentence? Does it have to be meaningful? Does it have to be logically coherent? Does it have to be unambiguous? Does it have to relate to reality, or could it be describe an imaginary event such as the chap with bagpipes?)[/QUOTE]

That's sort of what I like to find out. What are people's perceptions of a "random" sentence?

Quote Originally Posted by Maker View Post
    That's sort of what I like to find out. What are people's perceptions of a "random" sentence?
    My first thought when you said "random sentence" was, as you might have noticed, these grammatical-but-semantically-nonsensical sentences ("Damn, my toothbrush is pregnant again!"). I think a "random sentence" could be any grammatical sentence that is not ... hmm, how do I describe this ... caused / guided by the two main functions of language (talking about things and conveying information about things).

When in class we talk about the creative aspect of language, we usually try to make a sentence that "probably was not uttered before" and these tend to be sentences like "the purple elephant with green dots ate balloons next to the upside-down house". In which we do have the animal and adjectives things you mentioned -- probably because animals in general "do" a lot less things than people and therefore it's easier to form a unique sentence (as language is used to talk about things and it's a very unlikely scenario) -- and the adjectives, as you said, make it more descriptive and therefore more specific.

Do you personally think an ungrammatical sentence, like "bottle on stands the the table", counts as a "random sentence"?

(in any case, people, more examples! I'm interested in this as well!)

Quote Originally Posted by fondo View Post
    Do you personally think an ungrammatical sentence, like "bottle on stands the the table", counts as a "random sentence"?
    I know you weren't asking me, buuuuut... Technically, a sentence has to be grammatically correct otherwise it isn't a sentence. Wiktionary defines a sentence like this:

A grammatically complete series of words consisting of a subject and predicate, even if one or the other is implied, and typically beginning with a capital letter and ending with a full stop.
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sentence

I suppose, by that definition at least, "Damn, my toothbrush is pregnant again!" and "This sentence is false." count as sentences... even though they are meaningless...

Yes, I understand that "sentence" was not the correct word to use there -- saying "an ungrammatical string of words" would probably be better. I was just asking if that would fit Maker's criteria!

I would think that a random sentence is one that pops into the head of not just a writer, but anyone. We all think, therefore we all compose.

I was driving home today, and who should I see but Hesperosuchus.

Seventies disco biscuits sit wonderfully among the hairy plug holes that are based on your rushed fashions.

I like turtles covered in whipped cream within my burrito.