Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best diaper for odor protection?

Default Best diaper for odor protection?

Ok so my question is what's the best adult diaper for odor protection? I have equate brand that say they lock the odor in with great odor protection but they don't seem to do a good job. After one heavy wetting the odor gets out so im looking for a diaper that can hold a hefty amount and still keep the odor in.

good luck i havent found one yet. um the closest i have seen to being decent were M4's but even then they don't hold long before the smell. but a bit of advice Drink tons of water and it won't smell as bad if at all. the more hydrated you are the less minerals given off in urine and the minerals are what causes odor last i checked. now even clear pee is going to smell eventually but it will take a couple hours to get noticable

Ah good advice thanks I may just go and change then drink lots of water so at least the smell wont be so apparent.

kayley

The best ones I've found are ones that use a lot of SAP like Tena and Bellisimos. The SAP locks the wetness in so it isn't as exposed to the air.
    But more important is propper hydration and diet. Some foods cause pee to just be smelly and eeeew. =>.>=

Asparagus, especially, is very eeeew. Oh, and it also causes a lot of odor.
    Many of the preservatives used in canned and shelf-stable foods also cause smelly pee.
    B-6 vitiman, which is found in foods like chicken, turkey, duck, salmon, bananas, and potatos. Its also found in some energy drinks. IMHO, Turkey pee is almost as bad as the asparagus pee smell. Just eeeeew =U.U=
    Coffee can be another cause of the eeeeews.
    Many forms of processed meats can be trouble too. Salami, pepperoni, prepackaged deli hams and turkeys, and bologna can leave a scent in what's spent.
    And many spices. Cumin, saffron, thyme, basil, and coriander can leave a strong smell in your wee. Basically any Indian food or Mexican food is a risk. If you like a good curry or enjoy spicy burritos, you're probably going to smell it later... in one way or another... =O.o=

=^.^=

Hi to all,

I'm JD and I am medically moderately bowel incontinent. An old accident damaged the nerves in my anus and rectum so that I lost most of my ability to sense an approaching BM. I have several bowel accidents a week, often during my morning exercise walks. This gave me an opportunity to test the new Wellness diaper where it matters the most – in the real world.

One newly manufactured (late 2013) diaper which I wear is the Unique Wellness diaper. I am working my way through a case of these diapers right now.

The Unique Wellness Superio Signature taped diaper is a completely new and improved version of their previous diaper, which I have worn extensively. It is a white plastic-backed diaper with extremely high gutter guards and leg gathers - particularly important to those who are fecal incontinent. The old model diaper easily can be identified as it has a pale green plastic shell.

Recently I conducted extensive field testing of the new Wellness Superio Signature diaper under real-world practical conditions - while I actually was wearing it. On 19 exercise walks during which I experienced accidents, I walked a total of over 26 1/2 miles with a very messy diaper, sitting on park benches, and it did not leak! In water testing the diaper promises to hold over 44 oz. of liquid, with no press-out.

The odor control is excellent. While fecal odor cannot completely be eliminated, this diaper does an excellent job due to the plastic shell, high gutter guards, and high leg elastics. If it can control bowel odor it can control urinary odor with no problems.

The new Wellness diaper is surprisingly thin and that is to be preferred for wearing to work, wearing with dress clothing, or when in thin athletic attire. For women, the thinness may permit more options in clothing.

I will note that I have no affiliation with the Unique Wellness corporation except as a user of their products.

Quote Originally Posted by kayley View Post
    The best ones I've found are ones that use a lot of SAP like Tena and Bellisimos. The SAP locks the wetness in so it isn't as exposed to the air.
    But more important is propper hydration and diet. Some foods cause pee to just be smelly and eeeew. =>.>=

Asparagus, especially, is very eeeew. Oh, and it also causes a lot of odor.
    Many of the preservatives used in canned and shelf-stable foods also cause smelly pee.
    B-6 vitiman, which is found in foods like chicken, turkey, duck, salmon, bananas, and potatos. Its also found in some energy drinks. IMHO, Turkey pee is almost as bad as the asparagus pee smell. Just eeeeew =U.U=
    Coffee can be another cause of the eeeeews.
    Many forms of processed meats can be trouble too. Salami, pepperoni, prepackaged deli hams and turkeys, and bologna can leave a scent in what's spent.
    And many spices. Cumin, saffron, thyme, basil, and coriander can leave a strong smell in your wee. Basically any Indian food or Mexican food is a risk. If you like a good curry or enjoy spicy burritos, you're probably going to smell it later... in one way or another... =O.o=

=^.^=
    Ah theres my problem i drink ALOT of coffee so im thinking that makes the odor more stronger i also eat alot of meat so that could also be the cause and @ Jdinvirginia Thanks for the suggestion i shall try those out next

I think as a general rule plastic-backed diapers do marginally better with this. Plastic pants might also keep the smell in for a while

I've been wearing Goodnites under my cloth diaper at night to contain odor, and these seem to work well. It has made a big difference. The Goodnites seem to have a high SAP content, which as others have said, seems to contain the urine. The plastic pants help as well.

In my experiences Abena products are the worst adding their own odor to any otherwise damp smells though their great diapers in many other ways. Tranquility ATNs seem to contain any objectionable smells the best for me.

very high sap is best for urine odor protection. It absorbs it all and doesn't leave any liquid to aerate and be noticeable. Nam's suggestion of ATN is a good idea, those are some of the highest sap percentage diapers available.

They're very thin when dry for their size though so capacity is only average to slightly above average, and the shell is very noisy with its stiff plastic. But as a result they will swell quite a bit when wet, turning a very thin diaper into a possibly fairly thick diaper. But that's only if you wet a lot. If you don't wet them much, they should do a very good job of urine odor control.