Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hipsters

Default Hipsters

Hipsters seem to elicit a lot of strong sentiment - either deeply loved or deeply hated. The most common complaints about them run along the lines of being attention-seekers, unoriginal, unproductive, responsible for coming into working-class neighborhoods and pricing the natives out, phony and hypocritical, and so on. I've met a few people IRL who could probably be classified as hipsters by the way they dress and maybe a few interests, but I'd have to say it's maybe 3 or 4 people out of 100's that I've experienced to be genuine in their being. As a side note I think it would be nearly impossible to identify as ABDL and hipster simultaneously since the skinny jeans would be terrible at concealing diapers and to dress 'little' may be considered too freaky even for 'them'.

As another aside, is it that hipsters can be an easier, more socially acceptable target of ridicule that might serve as a safety valve to keep the heat off of people like us? Or is it just as fun to jump into the fray, look at the photos on LATFH and scoff, saying "stupid is as stupid does"?

Thoughts, rants, insight?

The hipster thing is like any other social thing. A wide spectrum ranging from "mostly cool" to "somewhat annoying" to "harbinger of hatred and scorn".

In my circles people tend to refer to "big H hipsters" and "little h hipsters". Big H ones being the ones whos entire identity revolves around being a hipster, and who are thoroughly annoying. Little h tends to refer to people who kind of have hipster tendencies but may not even admit to being one, or people who admit it but arn't overly annoying about it.

The guy who is obsessed with indy music and likes a little irony in his fashion but doesn't feel the need to talk about it constantly is ok in my books. It's the guy whos entire goal (what he listens to, how he dresses, what he talks about) is to ensure that you and everyone else around him knows he's a hipster is the one you want to hit with a newspaper.

I've been an individualist before it was cool... to be a hipster ;)

To be honest... it's just stereotypical nonsense. While there are some who want to fit into this compartmentalization, overall it's just made up mischief, or perhaps simply disfavour.

To be fair I don't like real hipsters which want to fit into this cliché by any means that much myself. But I usually like those people, or something about them, which are considered to be one without knowing themselves - and denying it as a result.

Still to be specific, exactly this:

Quote Originally Posted by MOPaddED View Post
    I've met a few people IRL who could probably be classified as hipsters by the way they dress and maybe a few interests
    Just why? Is their behaviour bad or something among the lines, so that those people that are probably no "hipsters" get thrown into this category just because...

To begin with, what's a hipster anyway. What do you need to do to be one?
    Listening to old music, 80's, 90's, jazz, indie stuff, seeing and liking all things that are considered to be "underground" so you probably never heard of them? Or also do they eat organic foods, and they are typically vegetarian or vegan (I heard that a lot).
    Besides it's the way they dress of course! Usually swedish stuff I suppose to some extend, since H&M is selling skinny low jeans like crazy, besides that every trendsetter from paris street fashion is a hipster too probably... Of course we can't forget about the beards for guys and typical asymetric hairstyles or something similar. Besides that they wear retro sneakers, have a MAC, have Tattoos and black-rimmed glasses.
    And typically they are against the mainstream, don't watch television, are apolitical, narcisstic, exclusionary, judgemental, are usually students and the most fun fact, they deny to be a hipster?

That's as good a reason as any somehow and it's quite ironic, isn't it? So if you probably are or like one of those things, and answer the question of: "Are you a hipster?" with no, you are one! Got ya!
    The only rule of hipster club would be in this case: Don't admit you're a member of the hipster club.

It's just a dumb term for something that exists since ages. Social Media reintroduced it back at the end of the 90's, since hipsters are a wonderful target for comedy. At their most severe they are naïfs looking for the most novel way to appear unique.
    Anyhow, why wouldn't someone want to dress in a way that he or she thinks is fashionable? Why shouldn’t we enjoy exciting restaurants, new cocktails, or share nice pictures on instagram with friends? Are we supposed to be proud of eating at chain restaurants, and being ignorant about culture?

People just compulsively complain about hipsters out of a sense of insecurity. By stigmatizing “cool,” it absolves them from considering their own shortcomings. People who read books you don't like are hipsters, so now you're off the hook from reading those books. Complicated food and drink recipes, difficult music, hard-to-pull-off clothes? Not for me, they say, and then settle into the rut of the middle of the road.
    Mind you too, we mock those people by calling them hipsters, when we should be thanking them, because like it or not, many of these trends those are so quick to dismiss now, are going to filter down into the mainstream sooner or later, as everything does.

I have been called a hipster because of my taste's in music and the way I dressed. For me I just do what I want and express myself. The Idea of a hipster is Ironic for me. At one side I am one but use to deny it and on the other hand I just do what comes natural. I love Indie music, actually Music in general. So I am always talking about it. I think it comes down to people trying to use the "Hipster" Identity as a way to look superior. Ironically those who strive to be a hipster become main stream which is counter productive. They lose sight of the whole picture and usually a subculture like this tends to be either absorbed or rejected outright. I think this is our generation of grunge.

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    It's the guy whos entire goal (what he listens to, how he dresses, what he talks about) is to ensure that you and everyone else around him knows he's a hipster is the one you want to hit with a newspaper.
    ...just a newspaper? Darn...

Anyways, I have no real opinion on the matter, as I haven't really been exposed to hipsters irl enough to form a solid opinion on them.

In the area that I live, even the notion of someone being a hipster/emo/trendy whathaveyou is so entirely laughable it's actually quite hilarious to think about.

What ever happened to the good ol' all-American sport: poke fun at the wierdo.

Back in the day, we all went for the long hair, pot, and tie dye as a form of rebellion. The old folks poked fun at us. Some of us saw the irony in all of us being different in exactly the same way. Some of us didn't. In most cases, we went with it anyway. Today hipsters, gangster wannabe's, country music fans do the same sort or thing. As we called it, "letting your freak flag fly"

Fat people poke fun at hipsters over the skinny jeans. Cyclists mock them for their adoption of fixies as a mode of transportation. Some of them take it in stride, some take themselves way too seriously. Oh, well.

Diapers? Yeah, we're an even smaller fringe group. I can't imagine why we would expect anyone to take us and our hobby seriously.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by waver View Post
    I have been called a hipster because of my taste's in music and the way I dressed. For me I just do what I want and express myself. The Idea of a hipster is Ironic for me. At one side I am one but use to deny it and on the other hand I just do what comes natural. I love Indie music, actually Music in general. So I am always talking about it. I think it comes down to people trying to use the "Hipster" Identity as a way to look superior. Ironically those who strive to be a hipster become main stream which is counter productive. They lose sight of the whole picture and usually a subculture like this tends to be either absorbed or rejected outright. I think this is our generation of grunge.
    You would be one who 'gets it'.

There are a lot of individuals in fringe groups who could use a couple lessons in self-irony.

We all wore diapers after it was cool. Does that make us hip or anti-hip?

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    Hip. Totally. We so flyyyy.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    Retro style is trendy of course! ^.^

It is a more 'acceptable' scene and more common place, so there are plenty of hipsters to use as human shields when the abuse is thrown our way. There would probably be 100 to 1 in their favour so we could build little shelters out of them and surround ourselves when we charge for a counter offensive, Roman Centurion turtle style. If all else fails we could use all the static electricity created by their jeans being so tight to zap our enemies with Zeus style lightning bolts.