Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To long of a response?

Default To long of a response?

Is it just me or does it seem when someone posts a response in a thread over 3 long paragraphs that I skip what that person had to say? I can see it in the story section but outside of that are you just talking to the digital air of the internet?

I generally try to keep mine down to really short paragraphs, sometimes I myself go over that but I try and keep them short for further conversations within the thread and future posts.

It's an interesting question. In a lot of forums, there is the standard "TL;DR" hallmark, which I personally have always considered--and please do not think I am aiming this at you--to be the sign of a lazy reader more than anything else. I mean, honestly: here is a person basically telling someone else that the thoughts he or she took time and emotional energy to express are not only unworthy of the few minutes it would take him to read them, but indeed so utterly and contemptibly beneath him that he feels the need to chide that person for even placing them in his line of sight! Too long; didn't read, he passes his judgment, and annihilates all of the effort and good intent that went into the original post.

Yet well I know that the silent, ​non-judgmental TLDR types abound out there in an America and a world driven by our quick-edit, everything is consumable, synth-pop culture. Reading longer, meatier replies in threads bogs them down, so they don't bother. It is not just you; many do it. I find it sad. Some of our best writers--EPO1, Frogsy, and FaennaJo, just to name a few off the top of my head--often compose longish responses when the mood strikes and the moment is appropriate. So do I. And I think that, when writers take the time to do that, they deserve to be read.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, ex vim atqui officiis, an sed vocibus intellegam. Sed ut dolorum intellegam adversarium, suas consul aliquip vix ei. Constituto posidonium ex eos. Ei inani eirmod veritus vis, vim amet utroque at, id has affert graece. Has melius ceteros ad, cum ei inani latine.

Ea quo putant euripidis reprimique. Cu exerci melius vim, postea persius accusata eum in. Idque elitr cu sed. Ut everti legimus sit. Cu eum gubergren scribentur, justo partem sed ad, te electram interpretaris pro. Usu eu semper aliquid contentiones, vis aliquid utroque te, sit cibo bonorum quaerendum ex.

Vel ut quis animal, usu debet aeque ea. Timeam eruditi pri id, sed vero vidisse interpretaris cu, no vis malis appareat suscipiantur. Quo ea commodo labores reprimique, dicat aperiam suscipit pri et. Cu est tractatos principes, placerat apeirian vix et. Ad graece conceptam scriptorem vim, decore everti eam ad, ne minim eirmod nominavi nec. Te cum porro hendrerit, ne vim etiam partem intellegat.

Cu eum putent quidam apeirian, qui in soluta ridens. Ius at intellegam vituperatoribus, in evertitur intellegam nam. Ea duo adhuc novum tation, menandri ocurreret ut mea. At movet ludus omittantur quo, his illum omnes detraxit eu. Usu an phaedrum adversarium, paulo putent nam at. Ne dicta accusata dignissim mei, choro solet eirmod at cum. Te doctus option propriae pro, sit at vidisse facilisis, ius putent possim ei.

Diam quaestio atomorum his ei. At nec dolore consulatu tincidunt, vim dictas numquam te. Molestie honestatis sed ne, per te etiam ubique, eam ad semper inermis facilis. At nisl qualisque expetendis has, id ius eruditi voluptua definitionem. Usu ubique eripuit contentiones eu, mea inani debitis id, euismod vituperata vis cu. Ius ferri brute cu, vis modo docendi at, ea omnis disputationi vel. Eu pro agam veritus.

-
    Seriously: it really depends on the content & the style / skill of writing and whether the topic is of interest to me...

-
    Post Scriptum: ICkaraokeGirl: THANK YOU for the flowers

-
    Addendum:
    I can very much agree with what ICkaraokeGirl wrote...
    (she was obviously typing her reply at the same time as I did type mine - thus the edits)

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    ICkaraokeGirl: THANK YOU for the flowers
    You are very welcome. And your response is so very eloquent as always. Of course not everyone speaks fluent Lorem Ipsum these days...

Quote Originally Posted by ICkaraokegirl View Post
    You are very welcome. And your response is so very eloquent as always. Of course not everyone speaks fluent Lorem Ipsum these days...
    Well I guess no one ever spoke that stuff anyhow ... but thanks!

A friend of mine is like this. He will completely ignore what I say if I do not keep it short. Then he will put up a wall of text expecting me to read it all. What goes around comes around. If you chose to ignore people it may catch up to you eventually. I do not get this really. If someone made the effort to say something. The least you can do is acknowledge it.

Depends. I'll usually skip a long post in either of two cases: if I'm just scanning the thread and not terribly interested in the topic, or if I know the poster well enough to know that their post will be information I'm aware of and an opinion I agree with.

If for some reason I'm in an anime thread, which would be weird considering I have no fondness for anime, I'm probably only reading short posts in their entirety. If I'm in a political thread and see FruitKitty respond to a post I took issue with, I'll usually just skim it because I he probably posted the same thing I would have if I got to it first.

It's an interesting question. In a lot of forums, there is the standard "TL;DR" hallmark, which I personally have always considered--and please do not think I am aiming this at you--to be the sign of a lazy reader more than anything else. I mean, honestly: here is a person basically telling someone else that the thoughts he or she took time and emotional energy to express are not only unworthy of the few minutes it would take him to read them, but indeed so utterly and contemptibly beneath him that he feels the need to chide that person for even placing them in his line of sight! Too long; didn't read, he passes his judgment, and annihilates all of the effort and good intent that went into the original post.

Yet well I know that the silent, ​non-judgmental TLDR types abound out there in an America and a world driven by our quick-edit, everything is consumable, synth-pop culture. Reading longer, meatier replies in threads bogs them down, so they don't bother. It is not just you; many do it. I find it sad. Some of our best writers--EPO1, Frogsy, and FaennaJo, just to name a few off the top of my head--often compose longish responses when the mood strikes and the moment is appropriate. So do I. And I think that, when writers take the time to do that, they deserve to be read.

I guess when I do skip posts in a thread it isn't to judge or deny they person a read that actually have good content after an attempt to weigh in on the topic at hand. On the other hand when you start reading large posts that people make in responses most times they get off topic and rant, not to imply it even happened in this thread thus far somewhere, yet this is why I bring this conversation up.

Say I log on and start reading the original post of the thread and start reading through the thread, if it is a hot topic there could be 10+ people that have posted on it. As you are reading you may have limited time and be forming your own response that you may want to post to the topic and run across a larger response then others. So the problem then occurs, do you take the time to read it or pass by it so you can read the others and take some time so you yourself can respond.

I have many times started to read large response but then cut it short because it got off topic or sometimes that it was started off topic and didn't take the time to see if it came back to the topic towards the end. Keep in mind that the shorter responses where read which may not be good posts to the subject either, as you bring up yourself that the longer response got ignored that just didn't get to the point fast enough to stimulate the read. The whole post could be gibberish and the at the end of the post it could look like a over the top signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogers View Post
    I guess when I do skip posts in a thread it isn't to judge or deny they person a read that actually have good content after an attempt to weigh in on the topic at hand. On the other hand when you start reading large posts that people make in responses most times they get off topic and rant, not to imply it even happened in this thread thus far somewhere, yet this is why I bring this conversation up.

Say I log on and start reading the original post of the thread and start reading through the thread, if it is a hot topic there could be 10+ people that have posted on it. As you are reading you may have limited time and be forming your own response that you may want to post to the topic and run across a larger response then others. So the problem then occurs, do you take the time to read it or pass by it so you can read the others and take some time so you yourself can respond.

I have many times started to read large response but then cut it short because it got off topic or sometimes that it was started off topic and didn't take the time to see if it came back to the topic towards the end. Keep in mind that the shorter responses where read which may not be good posts to the subject either, as you bring up yourself that the longer response got ignored that just didn't get to the point fast enough to stimulate the read.
    Ah but that is not the same thing at all as skipping the posts! You say that you started reading them, basically got the gists, found that they rambled, and moved on. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Ah but that is not the same thing at all as skipping the posts! You say that you started reading them, basically got the gists, found that they rambled, and moved on. Nothing at all wrong with that.
    I still see it as skipping the post because it wasn't read in its entirely.