Thread: Fursona choice (penguin v. bear v. ???)

Default Fursona choice (penguin v. bear v. ???)

I've enjoyed some of the furry art I've seen on the Net, and I've been thinking for a while about creating a fursona. I'm curious about whether the options I'm considering have connotations in the furry community that I'm not aware of.

One of the species I'm considering is a penguin. Here are some reasons a penguin might be a good fursona for me:
    • They're extraordinarily patient.
    • They're gentle (except of course to fish).
    • Though I'm not fat, I do have a long torso and a pointy nose.
    • Penguins move awkwardly on land, but they're graceful and powerful in their element.
    • There are famous, real-life examples of gay penguins.
    • They look fun to draw. I might even be able to draw one myself!
    • Unlike most other birds (with legs in the middle of the body), it should be fairly easy to draw a penguin in a diaper.

I get the sense that avian fursonas are rare. I'm curious about whether birds in general or penguins in particular have any stereotypes or associations in the furry community. I also wonder whether it's a good thing or a bad thing to choose a species that's outside the norm.

I'm also considering either a black bear or a panda fursona. The reasons:
    • Bears of all species are intelligent.
    • Bears of all species spend a lot of time alone.
    • Pandas and black bears are unaggressive, except when threatened. (Pandas are gentle vegetarians. Black bears eat plants, fish, bugs, and honey).
    • Black bears can be active both during the day and during the night.

My worry about using a bear fursona is that it might carry the connotation that I'm a bear in the sense used in the gay community. That wouldn't be accurate.

If I had to go with one of the more standard fursona species, I'd go for something in the cat family. I've been told that I move like a cat. But I don't like the idea of being an obligatory carnivore. It might also be weird to choose a fursona of a species I'm allergic to.

Any thoughts or advice?

I'd say don't overthink it. Penguins are neat, bears are great. Both are distinctive in the community, although penguins moreso. You could have two fursonas rather than just one. I don't suggest not thinking at all, but if you're unhappy with one, you can always change. Flip a coin if you're feeling so divided.

skyfoxpup

Think look at both sides you will know what you want.

Both are great, and you should pick something that is meaningful to you.
    Do not chose what others think you should be, it is your char/sona.
    So it should be special to you.

Take a good luck at both, which appeals to you more?
    Also remember a sona is not set in stone if its not what you like.

Thanks for the advice! I know that this is a personal choice. I just want to be aware if there are any stereotypes associated with these species that could lead people to make assumptions about me. There are some stereotypes in the furry community that I would never have guessed if I hadn't been told. (For instance, I would never have guessed that foxes are widely associated with high libido.)

Quote Originally Posted by buridan View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I know that this is a personal choice. I just want to be aware if there are any stereotypes associated with these species that could lead people to make assumptions about me. There are some stereotypes in the furry community that I would never have guessed if I hadn't been told. (For instance, I would never have guessed that foxes are widely associated with high libido.)
    Bears and Rabbits are usually considered to be "Homosexuals" This is not always true, same with Foxes not all be sluts XD

I wouldn't pay attention to the stereotypes in the fandom though, pick what you like. I don't even know who comes up with the stereotypes for fursonas anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FauxPas View Post
    Bears and Rabbits are usually considered to be "Homosexuals" This is not always true, same with Foxes not all be sluts XD
    It's okay if I have a bear fursona and people assume I'm gay (since I am). As long as people don't assume I must also be stocky (no) and have a beard (not recently).

Don't sweat the stereotypes.

Such stereotypes have a grain of truth behind them in so far as MANY persons conform to type, but it would be foolish to assume any particular person does so. We all have reasons to pick a species. I am mono-species, others are multis. I didn't choose my species, it sort of just happened, it chose me, if you will.

But for some, their species is one they admire, that represents how they like to imagine themselves. Others have a "spirit animal" and perhaps a religion to go along with it. Maybe a person simply thinks their animal is cute or handsome. Some see their human self as being mentally or socially similar to a species.

Your reasons are your own. You don't have to answer to anyone but yourself. And having an alternate species is just fine.

And while many furs are gay, that's beside the point. have never heard anyone assume a bear furry to resemble a bear as the term is meant within the gay male subculture.

Now I happen to see myself as raccoon-like, but that's just me.

Also, I don't give a toss about the stereotypes. I don't see why you should either.

you might think about this. Penguins already waddle like they're diapered.

Last edited by Raccoon; 06-Jan-2014 at 06:37.

ember

has to be a penguin