Thread: IT training

Default IT training

Im really wanting to change careers from chef to IT professional.
    I owe so much in student loans from my chef training that i dont make enough to pay it off.
    Computer work seems to pay more than i currently make.
    Microsoft certifications require i attended classes that are not available near my home, closest is 200 miles away. Not to mention the time off work, i cant put my families finances at risk.
    Any ideas on training and certifications on a tight budget?

You might look into getting your A++ training on line. I think I got that right. It's been a long time since I thought about doing that. At least it would be a start, and on line courses are your least expensive way to go.

Yeah... CompTIA A+ and Network+ Certifications are the easiest/cheapest/most effective certs you can get when starting off. A lot of smaller community colleges or workforce development type places will offer classes that aren't too expensive, or you can simply get A+ Certification for Dummies for $25 and study at your own pace, then take a few online practice tests, then pay the $150 (I think, but might be wrong) to take the actual test and get certification.

MS Certs and Apple Certs are nice, but A+ is probably the #1 thing most IT pro's look for. It basically is the same as 2 years of professional experience on a resume. I honestly think that certifications mean more to most IT hire-ers than an Associates or Bachelor's degree, especially if they are somewhat recent or have been brought up to date recently.

- - - Updated - - -

Also... depending on how quickly you want to make the transition... you might look into low-level IT jobs like help desk or call center jobs. Get your foot in the door and start developing some professional experience. It might be a pay cut at first, but it looks better on the resume. Someone looking to hire you would see someone working their way up the IT career ladder, instead of a chef looking to make a change. In other words, don't set your sight on getting an IT professional position. Sure.. try for one, but accept something lower at first if it becomes available.

Before you waste too much money on certifications, look (or call) around to find out what kind of job opportunities they'll get you.

Around here, certifications are mostly useless. Employers want to see/hear about examples of previous work. Other places, certifications may actually be worth it. Definitely worth doing some checking before spending the money.

Have you always been a geek but for whatever reason went the chef route instead, or did you just pick this out of a hat as a career shift. If the later, you're going to want a better answer than "it seemed like a better paycheck" as the question will come up in interviews. Most IT fields culturally expect people to have a strong outside interest, and there is a stigma against people who just get into it for a paycheck.

You might consider a community college if you have one near you. Tuition is usually pretty good, and for entry level work they can have good reputations (especially as they tend to focus more on practical vocational skills vs. the kind of inapplicable academic stuff you find in a university. Again, call around, talk to HR, find out what kind of education / background they look for.

You might also consider trying to get involved in some kind of volunteer activity. Lots of organizations needs a techie. It lets you practice in a (usually) less stressful environment, it gives you something to talk about in interviews, looks good on a resume, and is a really great way to make connections.

I took a year of ITT Technical for electronics engineering. I repair my own computers and Tweak my computers so they run faster and more efficient. I can soder and
    replace items on a motherboard. I have always been a geek since i can remember the chef thing has always been just a job that started as a dishwasher and i managed to work my way up the ladder.
    I have been taking some Microsoft Virtual academy courses. I started C# programming fundamentals and SQL server fundamentals. I have noticed that Time wise i tend to run out of and i haven't completed the courses yet.
    thank you for the suggestion for the A+ Certification I will work on that. I just dont know where to really start so I can get my foot in the door.
    I appreciate your input