Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help picking a graphics card

Default I need help picking a graphics card

So I have an old Athalon X2 mobo from about 2006 with an integrated geforce 6100. I want to be able to run halo custom edition at full settings through HDMI to my tv. The geforce 6100 can handle 800 x 600 ok ish... Would a $35 graphics card like this: ZOTAC ZT-20313-10L Synergy GeForce 210 Video Card - 1GB, DDR3, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16) 1x Dual-Link DVI, 1x HDMI, 1x VGA, DirectX 10.1, Low Profile at TigerDirect.com improve performance?

NVIDIA cards now have three digits. Think about the first number as the age of the board; how new it is. Think about the second number as its power; how fast it can run. I don't know what does the third digit, but it doesn't make a big difference AFAIK.

So, if you buy a 210, you're really buying a sort of equivalent of your previous 6100 (the second digit was also the board's "power").

I don't know the Halo requirements, but you may want something with a 4 or 5 in the second digit. I have a 550Ti and it is AMAZING (bear in mind that the most powerful nvidia card has an eight as second digit).

um no that probbly cant even handle one screen at 1080 1GB is way too small id recomend minimum of 1.5GB or 2GB. if you want power vs price try this one on
    Newegg.com - HIS iCooler Boost Clock H250FS2G Radeon R7 250 2GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

it should run most games at 1920x1080 on high quality via HDMI it has 2GB Vram which is the smallest i will ever think about going and is still less than $100.

- - - Updated - - -

though i will agree with bigpa Nvidia has the better GPU's and if you can afford it the 500 or 600 series will do wonders for halo and most modern games at 1080

But how could a 1GB dedicated card not be way better than my onboard geforce 6100 that only can borrow a max of 256MB shared memory?

- - - Updated - - -

Is this any better? http://www.amazon.com/Geforce-8400GS-Video-Sound-Cards/dp/B004Y3DKLA/ref=sr_1_12?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1387336760&sr=1-12&keywords=graphics+card

ForeverSmall, which version of Halo do you want to play? I never played it so I based on the real system requirements we could tell you more precisely what to buy or not.

Custom Edition. The first version modded. So closer to halo 2. It varies though. Some of the mods rival halo 3 in terms of resolution.

Microsoft says that Halo 2 minimum system requirements are a 6100 card. With that specs, I would go for a Nvidia gtx 240. I don't know the price/quality ratio where you live, but it's a pretty decent card and it will let you play games like Assassin's creed 4 in low res.

Remember, video memory does not do the job, it only let's the game play smoothly (because of textures loading) but the hard job it's done by the GPU. I think that a 1gb nvidia 240 is a good deal.

Which CPU do you have with that motherboard?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSmall View Post
    So I have an old Athalon X2 mobo from about 2006 with an integrated geforce 6100. I want to be able to run halo custom edition at full settings through HDMI to my tv. The geforce 6100 can handle 800 x 600 ok ish... Would a $35 graphics card like this: ZOTAC ZT-20313-10L Synergy GeForce 210 Video Card - 1GB, DDR3, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16) 1x Dual-Link DVI, 1x HDMI, 1x VGA, DirectX 10.1, Low Profile at TigerDirect.com improve performance?
    If it's really just Halo you want to run, then honestly... just don't invest too much, your PC is extremely old, so I'd say too: Stick to that price range.

Paying more will just hurt in the end, since if you'd finally upgrade to something new - like a 3. gen i5/i7 or AMD apu, their integrated graphics card is as fast as a 650gt~.

So... Halo2 System req= GeForce 6100, Radeon X700 Series. Oh well, your 210 should be fine to be honest. 1gb ddr3 is more than enough. I guess you're not running some 2/4k HD mods, if they exist ;-)?
    My advice would be a gt610 though, you would be able to run Crysis at 720p with that one, and it's at 40$ - click me

But! Has your old PCs mobo PCI-E or perhaps still AGP? You need to know that, since otherwise it simply doesn't fit. (Besides that it would be hard to get an AGP based gpu, I guess.)