Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you psychic?

Default Are you psychic?

Do you think you have a sixth sense? Do you have premonitions? Do you seek the guidence of a psychic? Sometimes I see white coats on non-descript people and then within a week someone will be sick or in the hospital.

I knew 2 days ago somebody would post this thread

But seriously, sometimes i'll think about my Mom or Aunt and they'll end up calling me at some point through the day.

Smile

I see "professional" psychics as con-artists, so I wouldn't seek their guidance! I'm surprised they're not illegal -- not all of them are explicit in mentioning their "just for entertainment" legal get-out-clause.

And while I have had many coincidental thoughts (e.g. "I must give X a call" to find that they call me later that day), I've never had any that could genuinely be put down to a "premonition".

The brain works in mysterious ways and processes some information at an unconscious level, so I'd put any kind of apparently psychic activity down to that. I've never ever seen a psychic perform better than chance in any controlled demonstration. I remember trying all sorts of experiments when I was a kid (around 12 or 13) trying to prove that I had psychic powers, but every one gave results consistent with pure guesses.

I love watching "magicians" on stage when everyone knows it's a trick. But psychics just seem like dishonest magicians... especially the ones who pretend that they can talk to your dead Aunt Flo and make a living selling lies to grieving, vulnerable people.

And, given the lack of any empirical basis for religion... presumably all religions derive from people claiming to be psychic (either with other people or an invisible creator)...

Sorry -- that all sounds rather grumpy, but I don't mean it that way! I guess you can put me down as a sceptic! (But you probably would have guessed that about me anyway, Zipperless! )

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Sorry -- that all sounds rather grumpy, but I don't mean it that way! I guess you can put me down as a sceptic! (But you probably would have guessed that about me anyway, Zipperless! )
    Grumpy? Nah! Just expressing your opinion. It's a question for discussion and you discussed it. You and lilbiker both said that you will be thinking of someone ad they'll call. Next time someone calls, take a guess at who it is. There's a good chance you will know who it is!

I'm a believer xD

I think there is something beyond our physical awareness. It is only a belief, but I like to believe.

I never had premonitions, but many many coincidences about people about to call, or think about some person and suddenly him/her sends me a text... etc. I even have the theory that there is a kind of link between two or more people that makes possible to this "coincidences" to happen.

Yay! this subject really really likes me

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I see "professional" psychics as con-artists, so I wouldn't seek their guidance! I'm surprised they're not illegal )
    A few years ago I got a phone call from the "psychic friends network". Here is how the conversation went.

Caller: "Hi this is XXXXX from the psychics friends network! We've got great news for you today!"
    Me: "Oh wow, what a coincidence I am a psychic too!"
    Caller: "Oh how interesting."
    Me: "Yes! I foresee this phone call is going to end with a click!" *I hang up the phone*

And I was never called from them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
    A few years ago I got a phone call from the "psychic friends network". Here is how the conversation went.

Caller: "Hi this is XXXXX from the psychics friends network! We've got great news for you today!"
    Me: "Oh wow, what a coincidence I am a psychic too!"
    Caller: "Oh how interesting."
    Me: "Yes! I foresee this phone call is going to end with a click!" *I hang up the phone*

And I was never called from them again.
    my good friend....
    i know that you are a believer in/of all the forms of the winged host; seraphim, cherubim and such.... (just as i myself do)
    and just so, are not these host eternal. and being so, would not the memory of such a long lived creature if asked anything, be so all-knowing due to their having lived and seen and experienced so very much.... seem all-but clairvoyant in it's answer.

and if them, why not others.....

I'm reading Steven King's "Doctor Sleep" and of course, it's about people who "shine". I have a small amount of it, but my best friend in college had a strong sense of it. He could often predict future events. With us together, we could communicate without speaking. The basement of our dorms would have 20 to 25 rooms with small pipe organs in them. When he went looking for me while I was practicing with all the other students, he'd walk into the right room, finding me. He somehow just knew.

He was the one with me, at my parents house, conjured up our nasty ghost using his Ouija board. One day at school he was very upset, crying in fact. He told me that something terrible had happened to his mom and grandmother. Several hours later he got a telephone telling him that they had been in a terrible accident, killing his grandmother and seriously injuring his mother.

As for me, I attended one of my son's high school football games, and almost in a trance, called out 10 plays in a row that altered the outcome of the game, resulting in his team not just winning the game, but the district and going on to the State final game.

I also have the ability to find lost objects, especially if they are in weird locations. I can't always do it, but I have a pretty good hit average. I bug my wife by blurting out dialogue on TV before they say it. I give away endings as well.

As a child, I saw dead people, and it terrified me. As in "Doctor Sleep", it has dissipated with age, but I still shine at odd times. My wife has learned to trust my intuition.

If we truly are living beings, we function not just as a biological collection of chemicals, but strong energy. My daughter-in-law had a plastic and glass gravy boat explode and shatter in her hand three Thanksgivings ago at our house. Who knows what controls these things?

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by littlelodgewrecker View Post
    my good friend....
    i know that you are a believer in/of all the forms of the winged host; seraphim, cherubim and such.... (just as i myself do)
    and just so, are not these host eternal. and being so, would not the memory of such a long lived creature if asked anything, be so all-knowing due to their having lived and seen and experienced so very much.... seem all-but clairvoyant in it's answer.

and if them, why not others.....

, , , , , huh? ?

Nope, but my gramma used to predict major life events (when she was alive that is). She phoned my mom and asked when she was going to tell her she was pregnant. My mom didn't know what my gramma was talking about. Gramma said she dreamed my mom had a black haired, dark eyed baby girl. Mom tested positive the next day, and it's not like she was trying to get pregnant, I was one heck of a surprise for my parents. And sure enough I was born with black hair and eyes so dark they looked black. She also predicted the death of her son and ex husband. On her own death bed, her breathing got very calm and she kept pointing saying "The girl, the girl is so beautiful" I believe an angel came to get her.

I have had my fair share of the unexplained, I have had dealings with the occult. But I can't say I am psychic. THough when my gramma was dieing, my folks had gone out to see her (she lived in another province), the dr's had said she had a few months left to live and they decided to make the most of it. I was 19 and watching my younger siblings while they were gone. WHile they were there my uncle called to check in on us, I told him he had to get on a plane immediately and get to gramma's that the dr's were wrong and he would never get to say good bye if he didn't go. He actually listened to me and boarded a flight the next day. Gramma died within minutes of him reaching her bedside and saying good bye. My folks called to tell me she had passed and relate what happened with uncle, the "girl" etc. I simply answered the phone, and said "she's gone, I know". My folks were surprised. I had not spoken to them for a couple days leading up to all that. I have never had another experience before or after that, that could even be called a premonition. When it came to that situation, I didn't really know it before hand, I was just hit with this feeling when uncle called. Gramma and I were very close, she was the only person in my family that really got me etc. I think it was that closeness that gave me the information to make sure both of her living children made it to her in time to say good bye, not some psychic ability.

I think a lot of what people think is psychic abilities is actually strong intuition and an ability to process a lot of subtle things quickly, and a trust in those instincts. It's being aware of things around you more than a special power. Everyone has that ability but many suppress it and train themselves not to follow their gut. I think often those that do follow that intuition can start thinking to themselves "see, I knew something bad was going to happen if I did xyz" and other such things when it was just a matter of being intune to the world around them and trusting their instincts.

"professional" psychics are ace people readers and nothing more. LIke that character on the mentalist, they can process a person's subtle actions, "tells" etc. They are not psychic, the person they are reading is feeding all the information right to them and just don't realize it.