Thread: My story and an introduction.

Default My story and an introduction.

This'll be my first post on ADISC so I thought I'd tell my story. It's a bit more dramatic than most but that's mostly in the way I retell it. Here goes.

My journey to the place I'm at now started four years ago. That's when I got the news. I'd had a mass on my liver biopsied and I heard the word I'd been dreading. "Cancer". I had a cancerous mass on my liver that could have taken my life within twelve months if I didn't get it removed. Twelve hours later I was in the ICU licking my wounds and trying to put a positive spin on what I was about to face. Over the next three years I spent a total of one and one half years in hospital. My third and as of yet final bout would be the worst.

I'd just had an MRI done and I heard the I-word that no cancer patient wants to her. "Inoperable". This was the second time a single word had sent me reeling as well as my entire family who'd been so supportive of me throughout my ordeal. That night, after everyone had left, it finally sunk in. I was dying and there was no escaping it. I broke down and cried and prayed. I never was a religious man before, but I realized that some far-off god might just be my only hope for survival. Two of the more religious nurses came in and took my hands and they joined me in silent prayer for three hours until I fell asleep, exhausted.

Three days later I went in for another Magnetic Resonance Imaging scan to find that it was starting to shrink. The doctors were baffled but elated at this development and the word "miracle" was thrown around like a dirty diaper between kids who didn't want to touch it. At last a single word that brought me joy instead of devastation.

Once it had gotten down to an appropriate size I decided to have it removed, but it had been so aggressive earlier that there were some complications. It had moved through my bloodstream to take over part of my bladder as well, so that had to be cut out, too. The result was chemotherapy and four months of complete urinary incontinence. I took solace in adult baby roleplays with my parents who were happy to oblige. It really did help me cope with all the stress that my cancer had brought me. Even though the incontinence stopped two months ago I still enjoy being an adult baby. I'm officially in remission now and blood work shows no indication that it'll come back. That's what the KCA in my username stands for. Kicked Cancer's... uh... rump.

So that's my story. I hope you liked reading it, because I sure did hate living it.

Quote Originally Posted by KCAboy View Post
    This'll be my first post on ADISC so I thought I'd tell my story. It's a bit more dramatic than most but that's mostly in the way I retell it. Here goes.

My journey to the place I'm at now started four years ago. That's when I got the news. I'd had a mass on my liver biopsied and I heard the word I'd been dreading. "Cancer". I had a cancerous mass on my liver that could have taken my life within twelve months if I didn't get it removed. Twelve hours later I was in the ICU licking my wounds and trying to put a positive spin on what I was about to face. Over the next three years I spent a total of one and one half years in hospital. My third and as of yet final bout would be the worst.

I'd just had an MRI done and I heard the I-word that no cancer patient wants to her. "Inoperable". This was the second time a single word had sent me reeling as well as my entire family who'd been so supportive of me throughout my ordeal. That night, after everyone had left, it finally sunk in. I was dying and there was no escaping it. I broke down and cried and prayed. I never was a religious man before, but I realized that some far-off god might just be my only hope for survival. Two of the more religious nurses came in and took my hands and they joined me in silent prayer for three hours until I fell asleep, exhausted.

Three days later I went in for another Magnetic Resonance Imaging scan to find that it was starting to shrink. The doctors were baffled but elated at this development and the word "miracle" was thrown around like a dirty diaper between kids who didn't want to touch it. At last a single word that brought me joy instead of devastation.

Once it had gotten down to an appropriate size I decided to have it removed, but it had been so aggressive earlier that there were some complications. It had moved through my bloodstream to take over part of my bladder as well, so that had to be cut out, too. The result was chemotherapy and four months of complete urinary incontinence. I took solace in adult baby roleplays with my parents who were happy to oblige. It really did help me cope with all the stress that my cancer had brought me. Even though the incontinence stopped two months ago I still enjoy being an adult baby. I'm officially in remission now and blood work shows no indication that it'll come back. That's what the KCA in my username stands for. Kicked Cancer's... uh... rump.

So that's my story. I hope you liked reading it, because I sure did hate living it.
    Welcome to ADISC KCAboy! I like your story and wish that you have a healthy and productive life. I think you will find a lot of support here on this site and make a lot of friends. Maybe you can give us a follow up on your hobbies
    and other things you like to do.

Thanks for reading! I sincerely hope this site is as good as you say it is because right now I could sure use it.

Quote Originally Posted by KCAboy View Post
    Thanks for reading! I sincerely hope this site is as good as you say it is because right now I could sure use it.
    Welcome kcaboy sorry to hear about your journey, I'm glad to hear you are ok

Quote Originally Posted by mommyslittlewiatt View Post
    Welcome kcaboy sorry to hear about your journey, I'm glad to hear you are ok
    I'm not out of the woods yet but my prognosis is bright. Thanks for your kind words.

KCA, that was a powerful story! I pray for your continued remission. What an introduction to being AB to handle stress! For me it was a way of dealing with depression, and that I could care for myself when I saw and felt that I was a little child. I imagine having cancer makes you feel rather helpless, and that being a baby at heart helps you thru it.

So, now that cancer isn't the only focus of your life, what other things do you like? I look forward to learning more about you

Deke

Hi KcaBoy. Welcome to the community. I hope you continue to be in remission and I hope you find your time here helpful and productive.
    For all you've been through, a big hug to you.

I was greatly moved by your story. You are too young to have gone through so much anguish. I have a minister friend who's wife had a melanoma tumor in her brain. There's no way she should be alive, but they used a gamma knife on her, and she is now cancer free. As a church, we had all prayed for her.

Our next minister's sister had liver cancer, also with no chance of survival. We again prayed as a congregation, and the news came the next week that her cancer had disappeared. I've been around long enough to know that one can't order up miracles like on a menu and think they are going to be delivered, but they sometimes happen, and when that occurs, we shake our heads and wonder.

I pray that you will remain cancer free. For now, enjoy every moment of life. When I was 14, I walked in front of a car that was traveling at 40 mph. Half a year later, I was able to go back to school. The accident changed me in many ways. I like to think I became a better person, one who was more aware of the world around him. Life is precious, and we should seize the moments to make the most out of it. I wish you well, and hope your life will be a long and full one.