Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's CRACK-alacking? Oh snap! ME

Default What's CRACK-alacking? Oh snap! ME

So I took a bit of a nasty fall early this month, December 9th to be exact. A little background. Some of you know I'm a very passionate snowboarder. I tend to dabble in the freestyle side of things, park riding, jumps, off trails, etc. Don't get me wrong I love carving for miles on end as well. I've been snowboarding for about four years now. I was very much looking forward to the new season but unfortunately my second week into riding this year it all took a turn for the worse.

I hit a jump that was about six feet high that lands into a box rail frame. I was setting up for some butter action but I didn't realize until it was too late that the lip of the jump was iced over. This threw me off balance and the force of the impact was my femur. I tried to get up after it happened but I couldn't move my leg at all. My partner was with me when this all went down and blocked anyone else from hitting the same jump since they could land on me considering my current luck. Well the medical team came, tried to keep me calm even though I was going into shock. I'm sure the cold didn't help since they had to cut the leg of my pants off. They got my leg into a splint and down the rest of the mountain. From there they pretty much determined this wasn't a mild ordeal and I needed a real hospital. So they drove me to Bear Mountain Urgent Care. I was there for about eight hours while they pumped me full of pain drugs and took xrays. At least Regular Show and Adventure Time were on the TV back to back episodes while I spaced out on the Dilaudid iv shots. Gotta make the best of a shit situation, right?

Well Doctor finally comes back and just gives me that look of "you really fucked up". Sure enough the look was right as he tells me I shattered my femur and fractured it in three spots high up. Xray you say? Sure.

Incision photo. Don't click if you can't handle it.

So next order of business was to get me to my primary insurances hospital and closer to home. That happened to be Kaizer in Downey. I took a two hour ambulance ride from the top of Bear Mountain to get there and yes I slept the whole way. I finally got to the hospital about 10:30pm, the break happened about 11am. Exhausted? Understatement of the year.

They tried to get me in for surgery that night but it was just too busy so I had to wait for the following day. I didn't get my surgery till about 9:30pm and was out by about 12:30am. Yeah. Of course I had to stay in the hospital since I was all kinds of messed up but what was to happen next I never saw coming. So the surgery wasn't as clean cut as we hoped. Nope. They had a catscan and ultrasound done on me and determined that I had developed blood clots in my lungs. This is pretty serious so I turned into a high risk case on constant monitoring. I was also put on blood thinners but at the same time they had to give me blood transfusions so I wouldn't lose too much blood. The story of my life lately since this is a constant back and forth battle. Because of all this though I'm now pretty much banned from alcohol since its dangerous to be drinking when I'm on a drug called Warfarin that thins your blood to prevent further blood clots. I still have the clots in my lungs so I have to be extra careful. Yes, I can die from this. Crazy that a freaking fall on a snowboard all led to this.

Getting back on track though. So I was in the hospital for eleven days, thank god not over Xmas even though we didn't have much of one here due to all of this. No presents this year. That's the last of my worries though, just glad to be out of there. Plus it was pretty awesome having friends, my partner, and my mommy all visit me while I was a total wreck stuck in that hospital bed.

Aftermath? I can't walk. I can't even bend my knee. All my energy is gone and I get dizzy just from standing up for a few minutes. I use a walker to get around when I attempt to move around and my car for the time being has been replaced with a wheelchair. Fuck me, right? I have a physical therapist that comes out to see me to work on getting me to walk again. And yeah it's been a hell of a mental struggle dealing with this considering I'm not use to being so damn helpless. I won't be walking for six months if not more according to my doctor. There is some good news though. I have killer insurance. Yay me! All the disability paperwork has been filled out and their paying me more than I expected. You have no idea what a huge stress relief that is. Thankfully work is being pretty understanding too since there's nothing I can do to make things better.

I think that's about it. Oh wait, this wouldn't be a typical Statik post without some kind of lesson learned. So a lesson to take from this? Hmmmmm ...*scritches chin in thought* The lesson is it's not about pushing yourself, just enjoy riding to ride. I lost focus of that and I'm now paying for it. For the record I'm 32 so I think this played a big part of it. I always tell Mike I wish I grew up in a place where it snowed instead I grew up in a shithole redneck area of Florida. Snow? What a joke. By the time I finally got on my first snowboard it felt like I had wasted so many years away and had some serious catch up to do. Just watching the young generation of today shred up is insane. They are sooooooo freaking good. I put pressure on myself because of this to show that us old farts can still hang. The funny thing is, I always felt like I wasn't pushing myself enough, especially after watching a snowboard video you be surprised what those videos can do to you when you compare yourself and get the reality check of "wow, I suck". After four years of boarding, it finally caught up with me. Regrets? I wish I got it on video. Haha!
    Last edited by statik; 27-Dec-2013 at 17:31.

For us weaker folks you should put spoiler tags around the second set of pictures.

Really sorry for your massive injury! Still, I guess it will leave you with good stories to tell, both from the accident itself and the care that has and will follow. Do you have any lingering desires that involve a lot of sitting? Maybe solve a murder a la Rear Window? Here's hoping you heal up faster than expected

Good luck on the journey ahead of you. Is there going to be any physiotherapy involved to help the recovery?

I can't compare your situation to mine, but I am a long distance runner who runs daily. In 2004, I was the victim of a brutal assault and my knees were torn open and shredded. I'd never been injured before, let alone experience my first one in such a violent manner. At first, the doctors weren't sure if I would ever run again. It took a lot of hard work, sometimes listening to my doctors or ignoring them when I wanted to push myself harder than they recommended. At the end of it, I was able to not only return to running, but I also ran my first race in twenty one years. It was a celebration of the fact that I was still alive and still running. I can't describe the waves of emotion as I crossed the finish line.

That's one way to be strong when the fortunes allow it.

However..

During the period I was unable to run and the prognosis was up in the air, I came to realize just how much the running was a part of my identity and how much I let it define me. I realized that the assault was all part of the same journey, although the challenges were so much more difficult. I needed to acknowledge that running had defined who I was, to the point where I placed lesser emphasis and priority on my other skills and qualities. In spite of the injury I was still the same person who loved science fiction, political debates and arguments, movies, music, and being with friends. It gave me a chance to re-evaluate how I lived my life and reconnect with people who I hadn't seen in a long time. I learned a little bit more about myself, including who I was if I was no longer a runner. It helped me accept the outcome whatever it was going to be.

There's no point in thinking about what could have been done to prevent the accident, it's been done, and I also know from experience how it can eat you alive worrying about how this will affect your future and how you see yourself. All we have is the present and the challenges that stand before us. The mental battle is as tough as the physical battle. I don't know where your journey will lead you, but my advice is to pay attention to the present moments and learn from them. You are the same person dealing with new challenges and learning to adapt to them.

A book that inspired me was "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" by Dan Millman. It's a true story of a college gymnastics athlete competing for the nationals. His life was changed forever when he got into a motorcycle accident and his leg was shattered, leaving him to fight his way back, against the advice and expectations of doctors and everyone who was close to him.

Quote Originally Posted by statik View Post
    The lesson is it's not about pushing yourself, just enjoy riding to ride. I lost focus of that and I'm now paying for it. For the record I'm 32 so I think this played a big part of it. I always tell Mike I wish I grew up in a place where it snowed instead I grew up in a shithole redneck area of Florida. Snow? What a joke. By the time I finally got on my first snowboard it felt like I had wasted so many years away and had some serious catch up to do. Just watching the young generation of today shred up is insane. They are sooooooo freaking good. I put pressure on myself because of this to show that us old farts can still hang. The funny thing is, I always felt like I wasn't pushing myself enough, especially after watching a snowboard video you be surprised what those videos can do to you when you compare yourself and get the reality check of "wow, I suck". After four years of boarding, it finally caught up with me.
    I'll have to keep that lesson in mind too. I'm a pretty mediocre snowboarder, my first rides date back to when I was in high school, but I did not practice a lot after that. 5 years ago I bought myself all the equipment and started sporadically riding again. I don't even dare venturing into the snowpark, I stick to the slopes and try not to hit the hard ones But every time I see how youngsters ride, or watch some snowboard movie, I feel the exact same way you do. I probably have to thank the fact that I'm too much of a chicken to push myself like you did, or - considering my clumsiness - I'd have surely ended up worse than that.

I'm sorry to see how badly injured you were, especially for the complications that added themselves to the already way-less-than-fun situation. But it's a good thing your insurance has you covered, so you'll be able to focus on recovering and rehab without having to worry about work and money. I really hope you manage to fully recover, keep us updated on what goes on. In the meantime, when I'll hit the slopes again, I'll feel definitely less bad with myself for riding like a grandpa when I see those cannon balls on a board going down ten times faster than me or doing crazy tricks in the park. A sincere thank you for sharing your lesson with us!

Hey Static... hang in there... you'll get through this... you might even snow board again sooner than you'd care

Honestly - whilst your current predicament looks quite serious, it's nothing you can't recover from.
    shit like that takes time and a massive amount of willpower.... but hey, humans are pretty tough creatures.

trust me here - I've been in a rather messy car accident that left me in a shape much worse than this - and these days I'm doing serious sports again, martial arts, bits of climbing, serious motorcylce riding, running, etc.
    Was a tough stretch of road - but so what In such situations, suck it up, and soldier on.

acorn

Wish you the best of luck.

One question; When are the two safety pins being removed?

yeah my father is a radiologist and all I know that injury really well. do yourself a favor and DO WHAT THE DOCTORS says exactly and you may be able to do most of the things you used to do although that leg will never be the same again!
    your lucky to be alive I think and all things considered considering your insurance and all. I think you will make a unusually good recovery and be able to run by the end of this summer in August of 2014. just so you know physical therapy is your best friend no matter how painful it gets. In fact I would suggest you supplement it with swimming if you can. I hope you recover well statik!

my mum had a similar break a couple of years ago, right at the start of her two week holiday in Greece.
    the Greek medics didn't want to know, the insurance company (SAGA, if anyone's interested) wasn't interested and she had to spend the whole holiday like that and then make her own way back to Blighty on the scheduled flight (no, no wheelchair either). excuse the rant, but why are so many people literally asking to have their throats cut?

anyway, she's up and about, bionic-womaned and stuff, but with a limp. the cold affects her, and she can also feel the metal rod when it's cold.
    scary to think how quickly things can go wrong, and how so.
    good luck.

I was in a motorcycle accident back in the 80's. Broke my right fibia/tibia (leg). Was in 3 different casts for 6 months, 2 long leg and 1 short leg. The orthopedic surgeon decided against screws and plates (I'm very thankful about that as I've heard about the side effects). The only thing is that he had to push it back together and align it. This left my leg a half inch shorter than the other.

In order to keep from having back problems due to the difference in lengths, it was suggested to get orthotics for my shoes. The orthotic for the shorter leg has a heel lift.

What really sucked was lying in the emergency room for somewhere around 6 hours without any pain killers. They wanted to make sure there was no head injury so they wouldn't give me anything to relieve the pain.

It healed up fine and I've been living with it since and it didn't really make much difference in my quality of life. I do have to watch when I need to walk in a straight line, as I do tend to drift to the right.

Anyway, Statik, just follow the doctor's advice and you should come thru this fine. Wishing you the best for a fast and complete recovery.