Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a Computer

Default Building a Computer

I heard it was a good thing, that it was easier to upgrade later and that it could save me money, so I decided a while ago that I want to build my own desktop computer. I don't plan on doing this soon, since my current budget is limited to $350, and I want to be able to play modern games with decent FPS. I could probably sell my old DS games now that I have a flash cart and get a hundred or so dollars, I guess.

But either way, I want to know what is necessary to buy to make a working computer, with the Internet and crap. I don't have a monitor or a keyboard (I do have a mouse, though). It would be nice if it cost me less than, say, $500, but I know it's nearly impossible to make a "gaming" computer at that price. I can upgrade it later if I need to anyway.

I've already been recommended some parts by another guy, but Newegg makes me pay an intolerable price for shipping and handling. There's no case in the list since it was out of stock when I emailed it. It costs less than $450 without the monitor (this was the cheapest on the site). Shipping and handling, however, cost more than a hundred bucks, which I found unacceptable.
    general pastebin - Anonymous - post number 1293978

Also, I'm in Canada. The only places I can think of right now that sell parts in here are TigerDirect and Newegg.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSunDS View Post
    Also, I'm in Canada.
    Well there's your problem!

Haha! Nah, joking joking... But for $350 you might be able to get the most basic of systems, certainly not one that's high performance. But hey, you've no problem with upgrading.

IIRC you don't have much in the way of income, do you? I would suggest waiting it out a big and getting a decent system in one go, but I guess that's not a doable option.

Even the most basic of systems would at least be able to play Half-Life correctly, no? :x
    I'm rather tired of having to put my laptop in a specific position so it doesn't overheat or slow down horribly when playing games from the last decade.

But yes, as I said, I don't actually plan on buying one very soon, I'd rather find a job in some fast food place or in some obscure store to get some money before buying parts.

Also, I'm in Canada.

[Edit] Okay, the same stuff is available here, but it's 30% more expensive. So meh.

Okay? TigerDirect ships to Canada, right?

EDIT: oh, the CAD/USD difference. Eep.

Every place based in the US makes me pay an unreasonable extra just because I'm a few kilometers across the border (literally). It's ridiculous. I'm not even sure if it would actually be cheaper than buying a pre-built computer from a store. It went up from fifty-five to seventy-seven bucks. And it doesn't even include shipping, taxes and all, does it?

How about, um...

I dont think a pentium dual dore is going to be too good at gaming...

DotDotDot: A Pentium 4 Hyper-Threaded (3GHz) has done marvelous at gaming. There are even some aspects that are better about it than it would a Core 2 Duo.

I think the only difference between the penitum dual core above and a core 2 is the cache size. I'm not really up on my hardware.

My old computer was limited by the AGP, the Pentium 4 2.8 handled everything I threw at it fine ... except for that one time the power supply went bad.