Thread: Lost all of my art supplies.

Default Lost all of my art supplies.

Unfortunately a while back I made the move from painting and drawing to computer graphics.

I mostly used Photoshop CS5 and Cinema 4D.
    Recently my art computer was destroyed when someone broke it, accidentally I assume, but still.
    Well I asked to see who had broken it and nobody fessed up which bothers me, it made me very mad that they wouldn't confess to it.
    I was actually much more angry that they wouldn't just say they did it than I was at the fact that all my hard work was lost.
    Before anyone wonders if it was a pet or anything like that, we own no pets, and I don't drink or do drugs or anything like that, and I certainly don't sleep walk. So I know it was someone besides me or some pet, I just don't know who. Oh well though, what's done is done.

Sorry...

but as harsh as it sounds, there is something to be learned from this:
    BACKUPS (trust me, I learned this the very hard way too)...

Today there's a bunch of affordable backup solutions available to everyone: from ever cheaper NAS Storage with mirroring disks to cloud backup services, etc...
    Even cheap large (but please FAST) USB-Memory sticks will do the trick with a bit of manual work (but I don't recommend this route).

For my business I have a four tierbackup solution:
    1) Local daily backup to my NAS Server (a DROBO backup solution, with 8 HDs ... mirrored, hotswappable)
    2) Local NAS Server, every two days (two drives, mirrored - only the most important data, but with remote access capabilities, so in case I need to access some of my stuff on the road).
    3) Cloud Backup solution (once every other day updated over night, stores actual projects, business data, software licenses, etc).
    4) Once a year I take out the hard drives from my DROBO and put in FRESH NEW DRIVES... the "old ones" go to a fire proof safe at an offsite location.
    (5) my private home computer stuff get's backuped on it's own mirrored small NAS at home and the most important stuff also to cloud storage... lost my music collection once... never again).

I guess this is about as disaster proof as it gets.
    Whilst replacing the hardware sucks - that is the one part I don't really "care" (no, I would care, it would suck) - but the hardware is "easily" replaceable these days.
    But the DATA is invaluable to my business.. (and personally). so I invested a good bit of money to fool-proof my backup as far as I can - and trust me I'm meticulous about my backups.

Yea, I tried to salvage what I could but honestly whoever broke it was a complete pro at accidentally breaking things because the inside was a mess. I'm talking about loose wires, components cracked, etc. etc.

And truthfully there isn't much an 18 year old can do in this situation... oh well. At least I still have this laptop, which I now unplug every night and place in a discrete location so that it's hard to break it on accident.. (I kind of suspect foul play)

Quote Originally Posted by Bears View Post
    Yea, I tried to salvage what I could but honestly whoever broke it was a complete pro at accidentally breaking things because the inside was a mess. I'm talking about loose wires, components cracked, etc. etc.

And truthfully there isn't much an 18 year old can do in this situation... oh well. At least I still have this laptop, which I now unplug every night and place in a discrete location so that it's hard to break it on accident.. (I kind of suspect foul play)
    Still, get one of those 32-64 GB USB Flash drives.. even the faster USB3 models can be found at affordable level and start backing up your valuable data.

I can understand your frustration, even more so if you suspect malevolent destruction of your equipment.
    And I know that at 18 it's more difficult to replace the hardware out of your own wallet.

but hey, next time something breaks (even by accident) at least your data will be "safe"

Right, I will definitely be doing that from now on. Lesson learned. Thanks for giving me some models, I'm getting an ext-hard drive for this computer...

Thanks for the help, and I found out that my friend accidentally broke it, she was too upset to fess up. I'm not mad at her but I hope she'll compensate me for at least the laptop. I have several room mates so I thought it was a jealous dude or something.

Take it easy.

Check with a good computer repair shop. If the hard drive itself wasn't harmed they may still be able to salvage the data and transfer it into a new computer.