Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Learning the truth about Santa Claus (WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS!)

Default Learning the truth about Santa Claus (WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS!)

So, yeah. Santa's actually your parents. Or perhaps your legal guardians. I did put "WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS" in the title for a reason.

Anyway...

My wife and I were discussing Santa gifts for the kids tonight. I was talking a bit louder than I ought to have been, so my wife shushed me and told me that I'd better not be the one who spoils the Santa thing for our kids. Ok, fair enough. She then proceeded to tell me that our 13-year-old niece is depressed because she just learned the truth about Santa.

13 years old?! I can't imagine. And I know this niece pretty well. She's as sarcastic and know-it-all as they come. Honestly, I think "just learned" is a big ol' steaming pile of... well, you know. My parents put on a pretty good Santa show, and I can't even remember believing it. In fact, I can remember not believing it -- when I was seven or eight, I think.

13?!?!

For those who grew up with the Santa Claus tradition: How and when did you learn that it was your parents who actually filled your stockings? And how did it make you feel? I'm genuinely interested, as I have no memories of my own discovery. I'm also having a really hard time believing that a teen can still believe in Santa these days, but maybe I'm all wet?

Share your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    For those who grew up with the Santa Claus tradition: How and when did you learn that it was your parents who actually filled your stockings? And how did it make you feel? I'm genuinely interested, as I have no memories of my own discovery. I'm also having a really hard time believing that a teen can still believe in Santa these days, but maybe I'm all wet?

Share your thoughts!
    I never stopped believing in Santa/never learned that it was my parents that gave the gifts from Santa (though I might have figured it out on my own), but then the question might not be "do you believe in Santa" but "HOW do you believe in Santa" (I.E. do you believe in him as an actual person, the personification of the Christmas Spirit, etc.) .

Like I said, I never stopped believing in Santa, but that is because I was taught more that he was the spirit of Christmas. Now I have stopped writing to him, and I know that parents/adults are the real gift givers, but to me "Santa" is still the secular face of the season.

I believed in Santa until a ridiculously late age... like 15... I guess I just didn't want to quit believing? The final straw was when I found the receipt for a gift ''from Santa.''

Quote Originally Posted by Icewolf View Post
    Like I said, I never stopped believing in Santa, but that is because I was taught more that he was the spirit of Christmas. Now I have stopped writing to him, and I know that parents/adults are the real gift givers, but to me "Santa" is still the secular face of the season.
    Ok, let me clarify: For those who were taught as children that a person named Santa Claus slid down your chimney and filled your stocking, etc., how/when/why did you cease to believe this? I'm sure there are some liberal interpretations of Santa that might survive childhood, but let's focus on the most vulnerable, traditional one.

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaStarshine View Post
    I believed in Santa until a ridiculously late age... like 15... I guess I just didn't want to quit believing? The final straw was when I found the receipt for a gift ''from Santa.''
    That would do it. 15, eh? I'm impressed. But then, really, you are lucky to have believed for so long. That would probably have been pretty cool while it lasted. I think I would like to have a memory of believing, but...

I was probably 5 or 6 when I suspected (but also wanted to believe)... Then aged 8 I selected a particularly knobbly carrot to leave out for the reindeer. When I saw it was gone in the morning, I checked the vegetable box in the kitchen and yep... there was that identical knobbly carrot.

I suppose part of me was annoyed that I'd been lied to, but partly I was impressed at the effort my parents had gone to to create a bit of fun...

I wish I could remember, I know it was at least until 5 or so. But man 13 is way too old. I think the age you should tell your kids is about 8-9 or if they ask. The best way in my opinion to go about it is to tell them Santa is more of an idea rather than an actual person. The idea of Santa being, generosity and giving, being with family.

My parents went pretty far as to make us believe though, they made fake hoof prints on the floor by the front door, which I still to this day think was the coolest part.

Quote Originally Posted by FauxPas View Post
    IMy parents went pretty far as to make us believe though, they made fake hoof1 prints on the floor by the front door, which I still to this day think was the coolest part.
    Ha ha! I remember helping my dad make hoof prints in the hall for my younger sister!

You know... I think the time that I really started to question the whole thing was when I asked how Father Christmas would get in the house after we'd had the chimney removed... and my dad told me that he'd come up the toilet!

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Then aged 8 I selected a particularly knobbly carrot to leave out for the reindeer. When I saw it was gone in the morning, I checked the vegetable box in the kitchen and yep... there was that identical knobbly carrot.
    Heheh. I love it! A well-executed bit of parent-trapping.

Quote Originally Posted by FauxPas View Post
    My parents went pretty far as to make us believe though, they made fake hoof prints on the floor by the front door, which I still to this day think was the coolest part.
    Fake hoof prints is a great idea. I might have to steal that. My parents would make ashy bootprints on the fireplace hearth. Never on the carpet around the Christmas tree, though.

Oh I don't care :P
    (Ok so I did work it out some how ... No idea how , perhaps I suppressed the trauma)
    Santa still makes me all giddy inside. I ain't never losing that!

I recall asking my parents how Santa would deliver my car through the chimney. That's when they broke the news.