Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck Dynasty Anti-Gay Stance

Default Duck Dynasty Anti-Gay Stance

Apparently Duck Dynasty stars are anti-gay.

Not surprising because of the portrayal of their religious views on TV. Don't get me wrong here. I fully support LGBT rights (Libertarian on every political issue). I do not agree with the anti-gay views of anyone regarding this show. Heck, I don't even watch Duck Dynasty. Reality TV was never my thing. I made a post similar to this on real life social media where I got responses saying Duck Dynasty should be banned and cancelled due to their "homophobic bigotry". Like I said, I don't agree with their anti-gay views at all, but I don't agree that they should be cancelled either. I still don't agree with Chick Fil A, but I'm not going to be all like "I'm not going to rest until CFA closes down!" With CFA though, I truly wish their money would go elsewhere instead of companies that literally fight against LGBT rights, but hey, gotta get my chicken sandwich. </personal rant>

Excuse the rant above, but I just wanted to make this clear. Not supporting DD's opinion, but I don't support the cancellation of them because of this.

i support the network's decision to cancel the show. Nobody can afford to back a show with that kind of hate speech. There is a sense of proper decorum. Networks catch flak for racism so why is this any different. I wouldn't want that kind of smut on my channel.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSmall View Post
    i support the network's decision to cancel the show. Nobody can afford to back a show with that kind of hate speech. There is a sense of proper decorum. Networks catch flak for racism so why is this any different. I wouldn't want that kind of smut on my channel.
    The show does not appear to be canceled for what he said to the magazine, just people wishing it was.

However, as far as the actual interview: I just see it as one actor stating his views in an interview, do we know if the network supported this? do we know, for sure, if his family (on show or real life, hey it is reality TV which, like the topic creator, I don't watch much of) share these views? The gist of what he said seems to be along the line of "I don't like it/find it wrong/not for me but I don't condemn those that do it". Did the magazine even ask if he objects to the legal recognition?

The view he stated in the interview is likely a common one for many Christians (we don't like it/feel it is not right for us and back it up with reasoning based on our beliefs) but we don't judge/condemn (and a fair amount of us have little issue with the legal recognition).

If people want to be accepted, they also have to learn to accept others, including their personal opinions (if you don't want to know, don't ask). However, in my opinion, if you don't accept what others say, you lose your right to complain when others don't accept you.
    Last edited by Icewolf; 18-Dec-2013 at 21:43. Reason: Clarification on the cancellation

Apparently anti-gay or *ARE* anti-gay?

I don't care about the show at all since most reality TV is trash where normal TV is bad enough at points (looking at you Modern Family). Anyways the show has been on air for like what 3-5 seasons now and this anti-gay sentiment is just getting out?

Just remember, its a reality show about duck callers/hunters. Wouldn't really take it so seriously.

The religious family doesn't like gays? In other news, Tom Brady's in the playoffs. Why is anyone shocked? Like it or not, most religious doctrine does not approve of homosexuality. I hate religion! I have to support them, because I have to support free speech. There is absolutely zero reason they should be pulled off the air for having a viewpoint. Your option if you don't like it, is to not watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Icewolf View Post
    The show does not appear to be canceled for what he said to the magazine, just people wishing it was.

However, as far as the actual interview: I just see it as one actor stating his views in an interview, do we know if the network supported this? do we know, for sure, if his family (on show or real life, hey it is reality TV which, like the topic creator, I don't watch much of) share these views? The gist of what he said seems to be along the line of "I don't like it/find it wrong/not for me but I don't condemn those that do it". Did the magazine even ask if he objects to the legal recognition?

The view he stated in the interview is likely a common one for many Christians (we don't like it/feel it is not right for us and back it up with reasoning based on our beliefs) but we don't judge/condemn (and a fair amount of us have little issue with the legal recognition).

If people want to be accepted, they also have to learn to accept others, including their personal opinions (if you don't want to know, don't ask). However, in my opinion, if you don't accept what others say, you lose your right to complain when others don't accept you.

I totally agree Icewolf. I have never even watched or seen a commercial about DD. I think it's best if we did some homework on this issue. honestly I even refuse to form an opinion here because it would be ill informed and I would have to check the credibility of the sources of information I was researching just to make sure i'm not being fed false or narrow-minded views. there are a lot of factual as well as stereotypical views out there and I simply do not step into these things without knowing what I am talking about.

I just saw two minutes of it (I think) and to be honest I couldn't understand a word that was said in the entire two minutes or three minutes I washed. Very thick southern accent. Why's that accent is so attractive on a woman, but is just repulsive on a dude. Of course, I'm generalizing, and way off-topic, but that just popped in my head.

Im a first amendment guy, i believe in the freedom of speech. In being allowed to voice your own opinion or ideas.

I dont agree with these guys (obviously), but they do have the right to believe in what they want.

Id say i wouldnt watch this show anymore, but i already dont. My brother loves it and ive been dragged through a few stupid episodes, but its as fake as all the rest of the "reality tv" shows out there.

This has nothing to do with the first ammendmentment they can say whatever they want. They just don't have to be endorsed by a network and on tv. That type of hate speech should not be on tv outside of a satirical sense. Its like yelling "F%& the n1*rs" on tv.

How did this become 'hate speech'? The man spoke his mind. He didn't advocate killing, jailing, or stoning anybody. Best I can tell, paraphrased, he said "that ain't right, I don't get it, don't expect to pass the pearly gates if you do it". Lots of people disagree with things I say too. So what?

Just another case of political correctness run amok.

Now reality TV, that's a different story. Stoning is too good a fate for Mark Burnettt...... just kidding. All my media devices have an off button.