Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any other Preppers or Survivalists?

Default Any other Preppers or Survivalists?

Just wondering if there were other preppers or survivalists out there? What measures have you taken? I am thinking I need to get some cloth diapers just in case the SHTF.

Also has anybody had to evacuate to a shelter with incontinnence supplies?

I'm not a serious prepper, but since I'm an Eagle Scout I'm always prepared for, as Baden-Powell put it, "Any old thing." My camping bag is packed and I have all my cold weather clothing in a specific drawer in my dresser. I need to update my first aid kit, find some new matches and get a water purifier, but other than that I've got most everything I need to survive in the wilderness for a while.

Honestly though, if SHTF and I was in a hurry to grab the essentials for survival, any type of diapers or incontinence supplies would be definitely left behind. That's a lot of weight to be carrying when that space could be used for something that is beneficial to your survival. I might bring my paci and a plushy, but that's about as far as I will go. Diapers are either a one time use, or the cloth ones are just too heavy and bulky. And either way it could be switched out for more clothing, or blankets, or rope, etc.

acorn

Haven't had any use for the Anderson shelters since the battle of Britain, so no.

Quote Originally Posted by Flowers View Post
    I am thinking I need to get some cloth diapers just in case the SHTF.
    If you're liable to shit on the fan, you definitely need diapers! And you wouldn't want anything to get chopped off by the fan's blades!

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    I really don't see any reason to prepare for such a thing.
    Me neither -- I'm not sure exactly what people would be preparing for...?

In "survival mode", obtaining things like food and water and not being < blown up / poisoned / bitten by zombies > are going to be the only things on your mind. I certainly wouldn't be using diapers without access to soap and a plentiful supply of clean running water (unless I was incontinent, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    I really don't see any reason to prepare for such a thing.
    When you say 'such a thing' what are you referring to? I'm mostly prepared for a natural disaster, but am prepared to leave in any other potential disaster as well. I understand the idea of being prepared for some doomsday prophecy seems ridiculous, but there's nothing wrong with having a game plan and a survival kit in case of an emergency.

In a way I did this thirty years ago when I moved to the country. When I hear people talk about bug out plans I realize I already live in the place they are bugging out to.
    My house is set up to operate off the grid and I have had to do this for a week after a ice storm. It was different but not a big deal.
    As for my diaper needs I to keep a stash of cloth diapers as I am IC

I am not a "prepper" (and honestly: people going too far, when they start to install bomb fall-out shelters in their back yards)...

But:
    I travel A LOT for work (often times, every week, different place with a day or three at home).... so being able to leave quickly is definitely a plus.
    Thus my travel-kit is ALWAYS ready to go... fresh set of clothes, basic first aid kit & meds, in my case IC supplies, secondary iPad-mini, secondary cell phone with intl. sim card, chargers... emergency CC, Cash, etc.. basically enough to be able to grab the pack of it's shelf and get out for two weeks.
    Most of the time the bag is in the trunk of my car... also handy if I happen to sleep over, car breaks down, or generally just the spontaneous wish to go on a short road trip.

Sure if my house catches fire, it's nice to know I at least have some fresh clothes, money, tech, documents... etc left......

But aside from that I don't Prep, certainly not for a doomsday scenario.
    (if that happens, well I think I'd do some rather drastic things... )

Please... ZOMBIES

Quote Originally Posted by BigKid25 View Post
    When you say 'such a thing' what are you referring to? I'm mostly prepared for a natural disaster, but am prepared to leave in any other potential disaster as well. I understand the idea of being prepared for some doomsday prophecy seems ridiculous, but there's nothing wrong with having a game plan and a survival kit in case of an emergency.
    Yeah, I guess. I was thinking about underground bunkers stocked with non-perishable foods over the course of a few decades.

Having an idea of what to do and having food and supplies when something big goes down is understandable, especially if you live in a fault or around a volcano.

I have a decent supply of food and water in case I need to bug in, but it's mostly in case of hurricanes since I live in Florida. I also have read and studied a few books on survival, though my only experience is a few real life military simulation games I have taken part in. I do have a few fun little things just in case of zombies, but I doubt I'm ever going to need them despite how much I'd like to use them. =P