Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Cant Sleep.. Help!

Default I Cant Sleep.. Help!

I have always been a deep sleeper and my love affair with my bed has been a success story for the most part, but the past week my bedtime has literally been mental torture.

I am not depressed, anxious or have anything particularly on my mind. I wake up early in the morning and always go to bed at a sensible time. The only caffeine I have is two cups of black coffee in the morning.

My 'sleep hygiene' is good and I do not smoke or do drugs, nor am I on any medication. My girlfriend is a light snorer and this has caused some problems in the past however I can usually sleep through it fine.

But for the past week when I go to bed, I literally toss and turn for hours and hours and my mind will not shut down for bedtime. I have tried moving rooms, switching pillows, and virtually every remedy.

Does anyone else experience insomnia? I have actually had to take an unpaid day off work today because I simply can not function in the day properly, and I can't keep doing that!

I need some remedies for unexplainable insomnia- I am aware this is not a medical forum or a doctors surgery, but any tips or hints/advice on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks ADISC'ers

I'm pretty sure warm milk is supposed to get you sleepy, but I've never tried it because warm milk is so gross.

I use benadryl to help sleep when I need it.
    It's for allergies, but not as bad as some other sleep aids that leave you groggy in the morning. But be careful though if it gets stuck somewhere it might end up having effect later then you *are groggy in the morning. Doesn't happen too often for me.

See thread: Marley's Mellow Mood

Seriously though, I had to resort to sleeping pills to get my internal clock in order. Puts me out in about 20mins, without fail. Only issue now is that whenever I happen to fall asleep naturally, my sleep is incredibly broken.

I have the same problem occasionally, and the one thing I've found that really helps is regular exercise.
    It's not an immediate fix, but personally I definately notice that I don't sleep as well when I'm not doing organised, focused exercise on a regular basis.

Something I've also found good for a quick fix is a visit to a sauna. I find that a short swim and 15 minutes in a hot sauna induces quite a restful state for me.

Hope this helps, and good luck

PS: When it comes to the drugs, I'd advise caution. Using pharmaceuticals to get to sleep is generally not a good or long term solution, as you're usually treating the symptoms rather than the cause, and if your going down that route you really should speak to a doctor first.

Yeah, I wouldn't advise the use of sleeping pills as a long-term solution. You really do become dependent on them.

In my case, it wasn't so much that I couldn't sleep - being a freelancer, I'd work well into the night and spent most of the day sleeping. I started weening off once my circadian rhythm was back in order.

Anyways, it wouldn't hurt to consult with your doctor. Gotta love public healthcare.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisb View Post
    I have the same problem occasionally, and the one thing I've found that really helps is regular exercise.
    It's not an immediate fix, but personally I definately notice that I don't sleep as well when I'm not doing organised, focused exercise on a regular basis.

Something I've also found good for a quick fix is a visit to a sauna. I find that a short swim and 15 minutes in a hot sauna induces quite a restful state for me.

Hope this helps, and good luck

PS: When it comes to the drugs, I'd advise caution. Using pharmaceuticals to get to sleep is generally not a good or long term solution, as you're usually treating the symptoms rather than the cause, and if your going down that route you really should speak to a doctor first.
    As a runner, I second the exercise option, but I would recommend that you not do it too close to your regular bedtime. Another 'all natural' option is a herbal remedy such as Valerian which can be found at any store selling health products or supplements. It doesn't have the side effects of sleeping pills or other medications.

Reading the most excruciating book you can think of. In my personal experience reading professional manuals worked great.

first off, get out of bed for at least half an hour.
    thats my first remedy. second, finish yourself nuff said.
    youll be sleeping like a baby

I would recommend exercise, even if only moderate. If your body is physically tired, you will find it far easier to sleep. Also, the drinking of milk induces the release of serotonin, a hormone that induces sleep, so drinking that before bed could also help.