Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuk style adult sized dummy shields

Default Nuk style adult sized dummy shields

Ok guys, so this idea has been rattling around my head recently.

I was thinking, if somebody had a 3d printer and scanner, they could scan the individual components of a Nuk dummy, mainly the front shield and the ring.

You could then use a Cad program to upscale the shield, while keeping the opening for the teat the same size. This would allow you to use Pacifiersrus teats with the shield.

You could also then make the ring larger as well, but keep the middle part of the ring that clips into the centre part of the dummy the same size. This would allow you to use the standard Nuk centre, which is the part that needs to be flexible and strong. You would then have a larger dummy with a good quality Nuk style teat.

So I guess basically Im wondering, is there anybody out there with 3d printing experience? If so do you think this would be possible?

The other question is, would many people be interested in buying a shield and ring for themselves if they were available? If so what would you expect to pay for them?

Actually I guess the first question I should ask is, has anybody already done this and Im just not aware of it? Cos if they have thats awesome

My first concern with that would be whether the plastic is safe that close to ones mouth.

Beyond that, I imagine printable, though probably require scaffolding due to the shape.

I know it can easily be done, as far as cost you would be looking 50-90 per shield. More if you wanted multi color.

That being said, have you tired a MAM paci they are wonder.

Well, there are many types of 3D printers. Some use aluminum, others plaster, rarely rubber, but most use forms of plastic (I don't know if polyethylene terephthalate is one but plastic in general is bad for you not just PETE). I would advise against it for now as health ramifications are still largely unknown. Cool commodity if your good with AutoCAD or any other AutoDesk product, but there are still problems with possible health risks.

You can scan a sheild, Enlarge it edit features and the design a mold used to actually create them using plastic injection. I'm sure you could find a company willing to do it.

I've thought of this, too.

This might scale better if you 3D-printed the mold, instead of the positive part. Granted, that assumes you have an injection-molding machine and know what pellets to use for this kind of stuff.

Of course, if you've got one of those you probably also have a CNC mill and could just get a solid block of aluminum and make the mold using the CNC mill...

Well,

Another reason for me to dump my old manual knee mill and get a new cnc mill...even a haas would be good...but been eying a fanuc...got the chance to run one a few years back at a friends shop...they are awesome...but not cheap!

I usually sub out to local shops most my milling work...but sometimes I still end up running chips in my shop...mostly for one off things like some manifolds for an antique tractor for a tractor shop...it was easier to build a new one than fix the old one...

Now, I've got an idea...I've used Shapelock for lots of things...I'm sure you could use that for at least the prototype...I've even used it and fused it to existing plastics for some applications...

Check that stuff out...at about 180deg it switches from cloudy white to clear...and is very easy to work with...once cool its quite stiff...

Baby Pants are planning to make a "NUK 6" according to the Whats New tab. It will have a silicone teat and a larger guard

I work with cnc machining and stuff thats why I mentioned it =D
    I work with solidworks as well for designing 3d parts, it has a 3d printing feature necessary to print to a real 3d printer.
    You can't print a 3d mold though it has to be special made by a tool&die maker and out of alu/steel because the plastic is hot and under pressure.
    Providing the peice to be made or designing the inside design of the mold as a shell would allow a company to use to create the product.
    it shouldn't cost more then 1,000-3,000$ for initial designing and run. You could sell the completed peices to the multitude of adult paci places and make a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyM View Post
    I work with cnc machining and stuff thats why I mentioned it =D
    I work with solidworks as well for designing 3d parts, it has a 3d printing feature necessary to print to a real 3d printer.
    You can't print a 3d mold though it has to be special made by a tool&die maker and out of alu/steel because the plastic is hot and under pressure.
    Providing the peice to be made or designing the inside design of the mold as a shell would allow a company to use to create the product.
    it shouldn't cost more then 1,000-3,000$ for initial designing and run. You could sell the completed peices to the multitude of adult paci places and make a few bucks.
    Well,

It will be more than 1000-3000$ to get running...

You'd be hard pressed to have a domestic mold made in that price range...even a single cavity might be pushing it...

I've run plenty of plastic parts even production parts for a couple of my aviation spin off companies...

Now, maybe if you did all the design here...including the fluid dynamics to stop jetting and shear on the injection machine, and design extraction and cooling here...send it to be built on china...and run in china...maybe, but still doubt it will be that cheap...maybe 5k out of china...but, thier steel sucks and doesn't last nearly as long as us steel does either...

3d printer...the parts won't be very nice finish...and not super strong...

Now, possibly on a sla machine...I've only got a reprap...and I've printer plenty or prototypes over the last year or so...

But, they aren't really up for abuse...and not sure on having pla near your mouth either...maybe pc...

Anyhow, to get the strength and finish needed it will need to be shot...or one off via a plastic like Shapelock...but production will need to be shot...

Also, just FYI...I used to run solid works and still have it, but use autocad now...but, if you have a cnc you should have the g code program for the machine...it's not hard to run it through and pick tooling and interference problems and run it on any cnc machine...