Hey everyone! I'm kinda... back. For personal reasons (not regarding diapers) I've been some time away, so after I solved what kept me away, I went back to buy some diapers and took the opportunity to try new brands.
So, I went to a diaper store after spotting the brand I was looking for on the Internet. I did a little research, so I went for it.
Now, we all know that almost all of us (except very rare cases) are EXTREMELY nervous and embarrased at the moment we are on a mission. There are some tricks and stuff like going to a store or self checkout (not available in my country) to try to go easier, but it is almost sure that our heart will pump like a race engine.
A diaper store is a different sort of thing. A person going through the door of that brightly lit store which windows let anyone see you're inside has entered that place with a single objective, and with no mistake, that only objective: to buy diapers.
Why, why, WHY the people working at the diaper store has to be SO NICE? What is the need to be so talkative!?
Here is a snippet of a conversation, as precise as I can recall:
(for the sake of understanding: I'm 1.8m tall and weigh around 85kg. I have a skinny face, so is easy to say I weigh much less than that)
*I've got no chance to remember the actual name. The rest of the conversation was pretty much the same.- Oh... Hi, Do you have XXX size YYY?
- (stares me like trying to recognize me; I start to panic) Are you coming from Jane?*
- (trying to play it cool) HHmm no, I don't know who she is...
- Oh, because she always sends some guy to take the diapers, but she always takes ZZZ size.
- (everything is still under control try to calm down...) Well... I don't...
- So, which brand?
- XXX, size YYY
- Hmmm... How much does weight the person?
- (piece of cake!) Uhm... around 85kg I guess. I can't recall.....
- Well, you, or... uhm... the person who will use them is on the limit. I'd suggest to take ZZZ as a precaution measure.
- (AGHH FOR GOD'S SAKE I KNOW WHAT I WANT!) I'll take a chance with the YYY size, I'm almost sure that's the size.
At the moment she give's me the package I was almost trembling.
There were other moments with other stores; anything was as painful as this one, but there were some annoyances.
I went to pharmacies, I went to superstores, and always there has been a reason to keep me exremely nervous (paranoid thoughts aside!). The last time I went to a superstore, there was a big line behind me. and the cashier took A YEAR to checkout. I felt I could die of embarrasment.
How do you deal, not with your embarrasment, but this kind of annoyances? How do you do to 'play it cool'?