Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously conservative cousin

Default Seriously conservative cousin

Somehow, somewhere along the way, my cousin turned into a conservative. I'm not just talking mild, but an extremist. Like really. He's racist, saying he doesn't mind black people but he hates "niggers". He also hates native americans, the Quebecois, and Europeans. Europeans especialy, as, according to him, they're all "gay and prostitutes over there". (When I asked them about that he said he didn't mean it literally, he just meant the way they dress.)

He sings the praises of George Bush and he hates Obama with a passion because of "his football shaped smile".

I was sick of it all this evening. For years I've had to listen to his disgusting rants on blacks, gays, and european, and I was sick of it. No one in my family has bothered to stand up to him, and I finaly did. I was pretty pissed.

He's also very homophobic, trying to prove to me that gay sex spreads AIDS faster than straight sex. To prove it I asked him to show me a book or website without a conservative slant. You know what he said? "Typical liberal response."

Ladies and gentleman, I am not a liberal, or at least, I try not to be. I may believe that whatever people do behind their bedroom doors is none of my buisness, but I try to be as neutral as possible.

He told me he wants to shoot all homosexuals in the knees. When I asked what was wrong with homosexuality he said "read the bible". I have no idea what the bible has to do with our conversation, as I'm not even a christian. Neither is he.

Then he flip-flopped and said he didn't care if they had sex or not, but he DID care that homosexuals have to flaunt their sexuality in everyone's face (gay pride parade and whatnot). He asked me if I wanted my children to grow up around those people. I said "what does it matter, they aren't going to turn gay".

He believes the exact opposite. He thinks homosexuality is a choice.

"A choice, is it?" I asked him. "You mean every homosexual made a choice at the beginning of their life to be discriminated against by jackasses, and become outcasts from their family? That choice?"

"Yeah."

It was a pretty heated argument. I was shaking by the end of it.

This is kind of distressing because I don't have any experience arguing an extremeist. There aren't many extreme conservatives in Canada. It's a pretty liberal country. And allthough he's born and raised in Canada, he hates everything about it. He hates the healthcare. He hates the gun control. He hates the gay marriage. He hates the welfare system. He hates quebec. He hates the "liberals who have invaded".

He's in love with America and everything about America. He thinks Obama is the worst president ever, even though he has yet to take office. I tried to explain to him that every president and every prime minister has been in it for personal gain only. He still think Bush is the next best thing since sliced bread (Bush isn't nearly as bad as some extremist liberals put him, as he did a hell of a lot better than Clinton ever did, but he still isn't even close to the best president ever).

How do you argue with someone like this? It's so frustrating because he can't seen any reason at all. He's so blinded by his own beliefs... it's weird. He dropped out of highschool at grade 10, had a drinking problem, and he never had a stable family, so I guess those could be a few reasons he latched onto the extremeist american conservative viewpoint.

In short, is there even a point to argue with him? I'm just so sick of listening to his crappy propaganda and racist viewpoints. It needs to end, and I want him to stop bringing it up at family gatherings.

EmeraldsAndLime

There's no point in arguing with people like that. Thing is, they feel that what they believe in is the only correct option to such an extent that any sort of compromise to their opinion is seen as a personal attack on them.

Problem is, with political matters and religious matters, there is no right and wrong, and that's why people like your cousin get so defensive about things - because they need things to be clearly labelled as "right" or "wrong". The world isn't black and white and there is no universal way to resolve things.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    There's no point in arguing with people like that. Thing is, they feel that what they believe in is the only correct option to such an extent that any sort of compromise to their opinion is seen as a personal attack on them.

Problem is, with political matters and religious matters, there is no right and wrong, and that's why people like your cousin get so defensive about things - because they need things to be clearly labelled as "right" or "wrong". The world isn't black and white and there is no universal way to resolve things.
    Yea, that's pretty much him in a nutshell.

*sigh*

I'm so bloody sick of politics and religion. I wish everyone would just shut up about them. Don't we have more important things to worry about? I mainly want my cousin to stop bringing it up so often. I'm sick of listening to him.

I'm done with politics. For life. It makes people hate each other just because they think *their* way is the right way.

Wow.. so being a conservative makes you a racist huh? Thanks.

DannyTheNinja

Wow. I backed McCain in the 2008 election but even though I am more of a conservative I'll say that Obama had a lot going for him, and I'm not at all surprised that he won.

As for his position on homosexuality though, that's just wrong. If he were a Christian his most biblical response would be "hate the sin, love the sinner." Not that I necessarily endorse the idea of homosexuality in itself being a sin, I'm just saying that any Christian or otherwise Bible-believing person should respond in that way towards something they believe is sin. (I am personally against any sexual unity other than a husband and wife, but that is for personal reasons and it's something that I will never judge people for violating.)

I do, like a lot of people, dislike it when someone who is gay flaunts it or is otherwise flamboyant. It's OK to be gay - but to wave it in someone else's face even when they feel uncomfortable by that is not acceptable. There aren't any "straight pride" (hell, or ABDL pride) parades that I know of, so I don't really see a reason for gay pride parades, but again, that's just me.

What your cousin is trying to do though is barely scoot by without being completely "pwned." He defended his argument using weak reasons (Obama's football-shaped smile? WTF??) and was really trying to ward you off. He knows he's wrong and completely closed-minded, otherwise he wouldn't be so damn defensive about it.

Try to find out where he was instilled with all this stuff. Then attack the source of his viewpoint, which will allow you to eventually attack the viewpoint itself.

Oh, and as a social experiment I just might print out that post and ask my parents how much of it they agree with.

--Danny

Mako

It's difficult to argue an extremist if you don't know their points better then they do. You can rather ignore him, or you can start studying and testing out your debating skills.
    That or we could let him loose on an iceflow :3

Seriously I am probably liberal to a fault I do try very hard to see all sides of an issue but sometimes I can't. Like racism, I just can't wrap my mind around why somebody would judge someone like that and my Dad is a racist. I was raised in a very conservative environment but I just don't understand it, times change so people's views should as well. For me racism is wrong, gay marriage isn't wrong(it's not right for me because I am not gay but for me that would be like telling you you can't marry.) It is like we are treating homosexuals as less than human.
    By the way I just want you to know you shouldn't argue with idiots because they can't see past their own little life. I am not saying conservatives are idiots because I understand a lot of their ideas just not all, and I am not even saying high school drop outs are idiots because one of my best friends dropped out so he could be there for his dying mother. But people who are so set in their views that they are incapable of even trying to see things through the eyes of someone other than theirs, actually I won't even say that makes them an idiot because people are the byproducts of their environment and genetics and if I met your cousin I would try to understand his views. But their are some people in this world that you can't change no matter how much you want to. I feel bad for your cousin but I am glad he has someone there who cares enough to at least try to set him straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Wow.. so being a conservative makes you a racist huh? Thanks.
    Wow, that is not what I said at all. My cousin is actually a racist. He hates black people and europeans. If that isn't racist, then I don't know what is.

You have to remember, he's an extreme conservative. You may be conservative, fire2box, but you're peanuts compared to this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    It's difficult to argue an extremist if you don't know their points better then they do. You can rather ignore him, or you can start studying and testing out your debating skills.
    That or we could let him loose on an iceflow :3
    I don't want to debate him. I want him to shut up while at family gatherings.
    Last edited by Chillhouse; 25-Dec-2008 at 04:49.