Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oops - Disposable in the Washer

Default Oops - Disposable in the Washer

To set the stage, I've been crazy stressed out lately from work, actually both of us have (haven't been on this site in a week). I wear a mixture of disposables and cloth diapers, but during exercise it's almost always a Depends pull-up. Yesterday, I came home for lunch to find out my wife had done a wash with one of my used Depends in it. Oh joy!

Now I think this is both of our faults, her for not looking carefully through the laundry before washing and me for leaving my used Depends in a pile of clothes. Anyway, I don't know if anyone has washed a disposable before, but it was a mess.

This is a front loading washer. Here's what I did. After taking the clothes out, I wet some paper towels and tried to collect most of the loose SAP that had come out of the diaper inside the washer. Then I set the washer on a 30 minute rinse cycle. After that was done, I set it on another wash cycle, this time with vinegar and detergent. No clothes. While this was going on, I took the pile of clothes out in the driveway and, after shaking them separately, I cleaned off the remaining SAP on each item with a hose sprayer. Then I put the clothes back in the now clean washer and ran a heavy duty cycle. After that, they came out clean with no SAP.

Towards the end of this process my wife called me. I told her about it. I found out later her office mate overheard the conversation and asked if she could get tips from me just in case her partner accidentally washed their baby's disposables. Sure, why not. At this point in my life, I don't care who knows I wear diapers. Anyway, good times.

Oh man Spaz, that's sounds horrible. I hope the SAP didn't travel into your drains, etc.

Ugh. When our kids were in Pull-Ups, this happened to us probably half a dozen times. They'd dress themselves, and the old clothes would go into the clothes hamper. And then... SHIT! I can vaguely recall wiping Pull-Up innards off the inside of the washer -- very un-fun, to be sure. Fortunately there were no #2's involved, as these were combined loads with everybody's clothes in them.

It completely escapes me why you'd "leave" a used depends in a heap with the used clothes.
    You could just buy a trash can for those, you know?
    I mean for the depends, not the clothes

CrinklySiren

oh my! what a nightmare >_< lol I mean i've washed Money and Packs of cigarettes and even headphones before... (the cigarettes made quite a mess), but never a diaper... it sounds like it would be something to remember lol

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Oh man Spaz, that's sounds horrible. I hope the SAP didn't travel into your drains, etc.
    Ha, when I first read this I thought it said SAP "into your brains!" That's probably what's going on here, too much SAP in the brain. That stuff is like the blob, you can't kill it and it grows bigger and bigger as it consumes everything in sight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bongolino View Post
    It completely escapes me why you'd "leave" a used depends in a heap with the used clothes.
    You could just buy a trash can for those, you know?
    Well, we usually just drop garbage on the floor after we've used it. This means that we are kicking it around the house as we walk and that creates garbage free corridors. Eventually, we complain to the government that our house is filling up with garbage and someone comes and cleans it out.

Seriously though, I'm actually one of the cleanest MF's you'll ever meet. If you wore diapers 24/7 and were as busy as I am, you just might run into this problem. Or, maybe it's just my brain is full of SAP.

ROFL thats epic. You just made my day

Actually i've gone 24/7 for a few months some years ago. But I already had a diaper garbage can.

Oh, no!! This was a good laugh, thanks for sharing, Spaz (especially that little sarcastic bit about garbage). No offense, but your username adds to the humor here. I hope the rest of your week turns out better!

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    Well, we usually just drop garbage on the floor after we've used it. This means that we are kicking it around the house as we walk and that creates garbage free corridors. Eventually, we complain to the government that our house is filling up with garbage and someone comes and cleans it out.
    Ohh noes, I'll have to call you out on this, for you then go on to say here.

Seriously though, I'm actually one of the cleanest MF's you'll ever meet.
    Do you find that the garbage collectors treat you like a sap when they come to collect your pre-washed rubbish left by the kerb.

I fear you have a problem with, LLPF. Liar, Liar Pants on Fire; If caught early is easily treated, before it extends to include; Tongue as Long as a Telephone Wire: At this stage all bets are off and you are on your own.

Hope this helps?

PS: Some more off topic trivia here, for your perusal.