Thread: Cloth diaper questions

Default Cloth diaper questions

Hey all,
    I was thinking of getting some adult cloth diapers from babykins and test out the world or reusable, but I'm new to cloth and would like some advice from current users.

First, for typical diaper/vinyl pant combo, are the vinyl pants designed to be reused for multiple diaper changes? Probably a stupid question, I know, but again, new to this whole cloth thing.

Any advice on all-in-ones or terry lines plastic pants?

Lastly, how do you clean a messy cloth diaper?? I can imagine that the bulk should be tossed into the toilet, but do you then just drop it into the washer, or prewash them? I guess staining is another problem, right?

Thanks a lot!

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
    First, for typical diaper/vinyl pant combo, are the vinyl pants designed to be reused for multiple diaper changes? Probably a stupid question, I know, but again, new to this whole cloth thing.
    Presumably yes, though I suspect that you wash them first before re-using.

Lastly, how do you clean a messy cloth diaper?? I can imagine that the bulk should be tossed into the toilet, but do you then just drop it into the washer, or prewash them? I guess staining is another problem, right?
    I know with cloth baby diapers it's generally a good idea to soak them first. You don't want all of that mixing in with a regular wash. If it stains you can always bleach it, though bleach is pretty hard on cloth so avoid if possible.

Since you presumably have bowel control and know when you'll be messing, I have a suggestion to make it simpler: Put a paper towel folded lengthwise (or maybe just two non-folded ones) in the diaper first. Paper towels are designed to hold up under wetness, urine will soak through like they're not even there, and solids will be kept from actually touching the cloth. It should make cleanup way simpler.

When you get in shower take off diaper you can rince as you take shower i hand washed my plastic pants get the 6 mill plastic pants last longer do not use fabric softener on diapers at all they will need to be washed 5 times to reach max absorbance and they get more fluffy with more times they are washed.

robbw

There are commercial diaper liners for cloth baby diapers too though they might be too small for an adult cloth diaper.

Being a cloth diaper wearer, I wear night weight gauze diapers. They don't last as long as Birdseye, but they are softer. Twill is very nice, but the ones I ordered from Baby Pants were very large. I ordered mediums because they weren't listed in small size. I have a 32" waist, and by wearing small size, I don't have to fold a pre-fold diaper. It works well for me.

Frankly, if I want to mess a diaper, I usually wear a Goodnite. Cloth can be messed, but yes, the bulk has to be put in the toilet and the diaper pre-washed, probably in the shower, etc.

I take my plastic pants into the shower with me when I take my shower in the morning. I use a little bit of dish washing detergent, rub it over the plastic pant and then run some shower water on it, making it suds. I turn them inside out and wash the inside as well. Then I rinse them thoroughly. The natural oils from your body will deteriorate the vinyl in plastic pants, making them crack, so washing after use is essential. You can't put them in a dryer, so I string a plastic hanger through the leg opening, hang them up and let them air dry. They last for several months, even six months if I'm lucky.

You don't have to wash plastic pants at every diaper change. I wear cloth frequently--always at night and sometimes when staying at home. When wearing all day, I find that it usually works well enough to wash the plastic pants at day's end, and switch to a fresh one at night. You just want to wash them frequently enough to avoid odor.

Plenty of good advice above. Just a couple more thoughts...

I was thinking of getting some adult cloth diapers from babykins and test out the world or reusable, but I'm new to cloth and would like some advice from current users.
    Being as you're a Canadian, you might also check out Rearz. I haven't tried any of the KINS pull-on diapers, but their prefolds are just about my least favorite cloth diapers of all time. Really, flannel is just not a great diaper fabric -- why you almost never see it used for baby diapers. The Rearz prefolds are top notch, same as the Changing Times ones here in the States. If you were thinking of pull-on or fitted diapers, though, I can't advise you there.

When my wife and I had kids in diapers, we'd just do our best to get the bulk into the toilet, then put the diapers in a "wet pail," half full of a water + borax solution. We'd do diaper laundry every three days or so. Never had any trouble with lingering odors. As for staining: It's a tad unsightly, I suppose, but it doesn't really affect the functionality. If you're going to be pooping on white cotton fabric with any regularity, it's bound to get at least at tad discolored. Best to not worry too much.