Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about my first towel diaper, tips ?

Default Thinking about my first towel diaper, tips ?

Ok, so recently I've been thinking on how to save on diapers when money starts to get tight, like right now. I am going black friday shopping ( actually starting at 8 tonite .) I know that using beach towels is not a good option and leads to major leakage. So my question is : What mixture of materials work the best? Eg: 80% cotton and 20% polyester or just 100% cotton or polyster ? Also with more bulk possible, would considering the next one to two sizes up in underwear(not boxers) help it stay up ?

I would not recommend making a mock up diaper. I would just space out how many diapers you use per week until you can afford to buy more. Like for me I still have enough for a few weeks if I were using them quite heavily. Another month from now if I slow down on usage. If you are already out of diapers then just buy a pack instead of buying a case. I know this may not be the answer you are looking for. I do not know any good way to make a workable diaper.

Try shopping at thrift store. I have bought some at CHKD and others like them. I have picked up packs of diapers for $3 each at CHKD.

DLhere

Yeah. I agree...don't even try that. #bad-idea

I strongly disagree.... I wear 100% cotton towels every night. Cheap $2 towels from wally world. Obviously you will need plastic pants. On heavy nights I toss a baby diaper in. Be sure to wash the towels before you use them as they come from the store with a ton of fabric softner in them. Fabric softner makes diapers leak.

I suppose you could get away without leakage depending. If you know how to fold a nappy together i'm sure it helps. My reason for saying no do not do is because there are so many wrong ways to make a diaper. I would rather not have someone make one unless they know what to use, and how to use it.

I used to buy pre-fold baby cloth diapers and stuff them in a pair of brief underwear. I could still fit into toddler sized Gerber plastic pants, and it worked well. You can find then at Toys R Us, at least the last time I looked.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I used to buy pre-fold baby cloth diapers and stuff them in a pair of brief underwear. I could still fit into toddler sized Gerber plastic pants, and it worked well. You can find then at Toys R Us, at least the last time I looked.
    Do you know if the Gerber toddler sized plastic pants then are the same now? Would they perhaps stretch to comfortabely fit a 32 inch waist ?

Quote Originally Posted by ChubbyMower View Post
    Do you know if the Gerber toddler sized plastic pants then are the same now? Would they perhaps stretch to comfortabely fit a 32 inch waist ?
    I think they would. I'm a 32" waist, though I may have been a little smaller several years ago.

Wouldn't a towel and plastic pants basically be the same as any cloth diaper and plastic pants? Just as long as the towel is folded correctly and of the correct dimmensions I'd think it would work the same (I have no experience with cloth so I could be completely wrong here).