Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mind Control

CrinklySiren

Default Mind Control

Isn't this just grand:

Nonconformity and Freethinking Now Considered Mental Illnesses - The Mind Unleashed

I've always suspected that the medical psychology world has been keen on creating non existent problems... but this one goes too far.

Disclaimer: I apologize if this is fake, my friend posted it because he keeps his eye on ridiculous events in society such as this, but im not sure if this is satire.

Quote Originally Posted by CrinklyEmilyLG View Post
    Isn't this just grand:

Nonconformity and Freethinking Now Considered Mental Illnesses - The Mind Unleashed

I've always suspected that the medical psychology world has been keen on creating non existent problems... but this one goes too far.

Disclaimer: I apologize if this is fake, my friend posted it because he keeps his eye on ridiculous events in society such as this, but im not sure if this is satire.
    I wouldn't be surprised if non-conformity was thought as a mental illness by at least a few back from like 1920's up to late 1950's. However these days non-conformity is rather celebrated, unless your a apple product.

I think that conformity is the pandemic illness. The only time I feel healthy and normal is when I truly give space for me, which is anything but conformity.

Conformity forces us to shape up to 'the man's' expectations. I think that most of the feelings that lead to depression and mental illness stem from typecasting..... suppressing free desires and the innocence of imagination and creativity. I'm certainly not advocating an anti moralistic lifestyle, and I appreciate the need for some practical boundaries, but I wish society would stop squashing individuality.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and if the free radical creative mind is an illness, I'm terminal with it.

Alright, I'll throw in a few facts and thoughts about this.

The APA has the tendency to come up with some pretty bogus diagnosis'es in modern times, however, this one isn't really one of them. First off, this is in no way a new diagnosis, as far as I'm concerned it's been around since the eighties. Nothing new, it's just been a little more redefined in the DSM-V, following criticism.

I haven't read the DSM-V yet (only read the fourth version), but normally, in order to be diagnosed with these sorts of disorders, you need to meet some criteria, one in particular being about whether or not the behaviour in question is a problem/issue/damaging to either the individual who expresses it or to others. As long as the behaviour isn't constant, unchanging and damaging to either you or others - you most certainly won't be diagnosed with it. But of course, the diagnostic system isn't perfect in any ways, and it does tend to contract a lot of valid criticism.

But I do think that the article did not only portray this fairly old diagnosis as something new, but it also dit it just to scaremonger and to create sensational news. As far as the disorder/diagnosis/mind-control is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it.

The original article is a bit skewed. As Crassi said, ODD has been in the DSM since the third edition (according to wikipedia) which was published in the 80s. The recently published fifth edition has some modifications to the diagnostic criteria, which can be read about on p. 15 of the fact sheet provided by the publisher of the manual:

http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/change...to%20dsm-5.pdf

The expert in question reads:

Four refinements have been made to the criteria for oppositional defiant disorder. First, symptoms are now grouped into three types: angry/irritable mood, argumentative/defiant behavior, and vindictiveness. This change highlights that the disorder reflects both emotional and behavioral symptomatology. Second, the exclusion criterion for conduct disorder has been removed. Third, given that many behaviors associated with symptoms of oppositional defiant disorder occur commonly in normally developing children and adolescents, a note has been added to the criteria to provide guidance on the frequency typically needed for a behavior to be considered symptomatic of the disorder. Fourth, a severity rating has been added to the criteria to reflect research showing that the degree of pervasiveness of symptoms across settings is an important indicator of severity.
    The changes seem to reflect a sensitivity to the fact that normal behavior can be incidentally categorized as pathological given the old criteria. The DSM's overall concern is to locate and categorize conditions that create obstacles for normal functioning, not to pathologize normal, reasonable oppositional behavior. I feel this is reflected in the changes made, in particular the third and fourth changes.

But I'm curious about the thread title: what exactly does this have to do with mind control, Emily?

Quote Originally Posted by ManicMunchkin View Post
    But I'm curious about the thread title: what exactly does this have to do with mind control, Emily?
    I think she's saying that these new standards allow anyone who is upset with the current political, religious, societal, and other kinds of structure, to be deemed insane if he/she/they choose to defy any of it in any way.

I don't know about you, but I don't like to be clinically diagnosed for behavior and attitude that has perfectly logical reasoning behind it. I know this could easily go both ways, particularly regarding something like depression, but the point is that these new standards have a great potential for abuse and misuse, in order to instill a fear of going against society in some form or another.

If you're pathologically nonconformist, I can see how that would be grounds for diagnosis though...?

I see this a pontetnial risk of abuse by authority: Lot of sentences have a base in a "expert's view," which can destroy a lot of lives. Antisystems like me too. Just remeber how is the best way to shut up someone: Close that someone to mental hospital with some goood diagnosis, like squizofrenia and similar... For example it's abused in comunist coutries.
    I'm very scared of always bigger power of Big Brother.

CrinklySiren

http://youtu.be/BcvSNg0HZwk - Milgram Obedience to Authrity Experiment 2009

Here's a little something similar to this topic in terms of Mind Control. Imagine a world where these diagnosis' are coupled with societies inherent fear of not complying with authority out of fear or out of uncertainty of false security.

While being a pathological ANYTHING is grounds for psychological disability, there is room for abuse as Gevamna said,. Especially when behavioral studies such as this will show that a sizable and compliant army of conformists will willingly follow blindly and resort to measures implied by those who "keep us safe" to keep these "anarchistic mentals" at a safe distance. All you need is the ability to abuse a mental diagnosis, and corrupt the masses with lies.

By the way, im not saying this is going to happen, I'm just saying all this in the attempts to create a sense of critical thinking in everyone Seeing as this is the Mature Topics section.