Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Consumerism in the US is a disgrace.

CrinklySiren

Default Consumerism in the US is a disgrace.

I know this is probably a thread that is started every year around this time... but I honestly can not believe that every years gets worse and worse as department stores cater the the hunger and greed of american consumerism... thanks to black friday shoppers who lose their minds and pay for shit they don't need in bulk quantities, my cousins wont be spending thanksgiving with my family because of their desperation to keep their jobs and their economic standing, by being forced to work from 6PM ON THANKSGIVING DAY until 6AM on Friday!!! I mean I liked black friday when it was at 5Am and onward on friday morning, but this is just ridiculous... has it gotten so bad that people in this country resort to camping out the day of thanksgiving just to spend their bullshit money that they more than likely dont have, to buy loads of shit they undoubtebly DONT need... Don't get me wrong, i take advantage of black friday to buy clothes, but to sink to a level so low that you as a shopper are causing employees time with their families... i mean jesus christ do people have NO shame anymore???

Hell, even south park resorted to making a Game of Thrones like trilogy of episodes in commemoration to the greed that takes place on Thanksgiving/Black Friday... I'm not religious in the slightest, and I'm also not one of those "oh its a day to give thanks to those pilgrims" im well aware of what a bullshit holiday thanksgiving is... but the fact remains that regardless of what it stands for, people still use it as a chance to spend time with the family that they would otherwise avoid the rest of the year because of work or other busy schedule situations. Mind you, i know that not everyone likes the holidays.... but i have friends and family members who heartily enjoy thanksgiving and are not able to spend time because this country has made keeping a job a necessity to the point where they have to sacrifice family time for something that IS ALREADY A PAID F**** HOLIDAY!!!! I have NEVER found ANY necessity for camping out on thanksgiving day... and lo and behold, i always get what I want to get JUST FINE at 5-7AM on friday... its ridiculous... its like people don't use their heads when they shop on black friday! Why is it that i can calmly shop like a decent human being and still find whatever it is im looking for and these people act like they have to be the first 20 people in the store to get discounts... not to mention that cyber monday has better deals ANYWAY. The sheer greed accompanied by utter stupidity is what truly makes me sad to call myself American... this is what our country has become... Ignorance and Greed on a disgusting level and displayed as public normality.

I mean, i know this is more of a rant, but surely there can be SOMETHING done about the sad behavior of this country's consumerism... Why cant we just leave it the way it use to be... its like the american dream is to make you think that "family matters more than anything"... but its all bullshit... this country comes closer and closer to being nothing but consumerism every single year... I'm sorry if this went a bit south but I am just so f*cking outraged by the ridiculousness of people who are in desperate need to buy shit that will do them no good... and they do this EVERY YEAR EARLIER AND EARLIER... yet all these people oppose necessary important bills passed by government. "why should i have to pay for insurance?!?! Thats injust!"... NO mother F*cker, what's injust is your hunger for BS that is making my family members work on a holiday to keep the jobs they have no choice but working in...

I can't be the only one who is pissed off about this... Is there no hope?

Edit: sorry for all the cursing, i get a little out of hand sometimes, i tried censoring as best as I could.

I feel as though the entirety of corporate America got together and had a meeting and decided to cancel Thanksgiving.

"Time together with their families? Fuck them! Family dinners don't make us money!"

It's absolutely infuriating to me. What's more infuriating is that it'll probably work. People will probably see TVs for 17 cents or laptops buy-one-get-six-free or some stupid shit and line up shouting, "Take my money!" I can just see the scenario where some asshole's sitting down to dinner with the family, then somewhere between the turkey being carved and the stuffing making it all the way around the table they realize they're late to the sale at Fuckyoumart and bail out.

I sincerely hope that this plot by corporate America fails, big time. I hope that everyone sees what's going on and that American consumers collectively tell corporate America to go fuck itself, then sits down for dinner. I implore everyone that reads this, please, help Mr. Aurkarm and I and others like us: Tell them that they can have Black Friday, but not Thanksgiving. Stay home, visit family, do NOT go shopping.
    Last edited by GoldDragonAurkarm; 25-Nov-2013 at 20:58. Reason: Fixed embarrassing typos

Well, the public sure seems to love Thanksgiving shopping. Only one thing you can do, really: don't show up. Maybe go a step further and boycott Black Friday deals at stores that open on Thanksgiving.

It makes the economy turn. I am required to work all holidays and I don't get holiday pay for it. Does it piss me off? Sure. But it's how things work anymore. Some people can't afford to get each other gifts at normal price. Black Friday and such is a great way for those to still give gifts.

Also I feel the need to point out that Thanksgiving is kind of a pointless holiday. I don't need a date on the calendar to tell me to have dinner with my family, it can be done any time of the year.

CrinklySiren

honestly i dont mind the black friday shopping.. what bothers me is that EVERY YEAR it gets earlier and earlier... pretty soon thanksgiving will be traded off for 2 straight days of shopping bullshit, either that or black friday will cease to be black friday and will become black thursday... I mean in the last five years it's worked its way down by 1 or 2 hours each year...

2008- sales start at 12
    2010- sales start at 10
    2011- sales start at 9
    2012- sales start at 7
    now 2013- sales are starting at 6 fucking PM in my area...

the yearly thanksgiving feast we have at my aunts house is no longer taking place because she doesn't want to have it without her daughters being there... and they can't be there because they are working at the mall from 6PM thursday night until 6AM friday morning... its truly an insult... I dont understand why they have to keep pushing it and pushing it and pushing it... i swear if they fuck with my christmas i'm going to start buying shit and destroying it right in front of the stores so I can piss off these simple minded fucks.... and its not even just the times... people are SAVAGE on black friday... I've only gone to best buy like 2 times and every time, god forbid you ask a question to the guy in the front of the line... because the people in the front will literally come close to stabbing you with a home-made shank, acting like you're trying to cut in front of them... This country is imploding.

I will agree people become animals on black friday. I also agree that it's stupid it keeps getting pushed back. Stores are trying to compete for customers. "Hey come to us first, we are open sooner" Thankfully some stores won't do it, Target I think doesn't participate.

I usually go out mid day on friday and like you, search for clothes and such. But I buy most of my crap at goodwill or ARC, slavation army...ect....

In the end, I blame the CEO's not the consumer. We have been brainwashed into thinking it's okay.

It's almost as bad as singling out one or two days a year to spend time with family. One of which is built upon the slaughter of a native race of people.

What, people need a holiday to force them to be with family?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CrinklyEmilyLG View Post
    i swear if they fuck with my christmas i'm going to start buying shit and destroying it right in front of the stores so I can piss off these simple minded fucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    It's almost as bad as singling out one or two days a year to spend time with family. One of which is built upon the slaughter of a native race of people.

What, people need a holiday to force them to be with family?

- - - Updated - - -

The point is that a holiday like Thanksgiving is meant to be a culturally respected opportunity to have time with family in an otherwise busy life. It's a social compact that we can all be with our families and take one day away from the rest of our lives. Corporate America, and the greedy consumers that are too cheap to pass up cheap shit on sale, are now violating a social compact that has served us well for hundreds of years now. Like I said before, I have no problems with Black Friday. Shit, I host a big Black Friday party every year, and the invitation typically has some form of "...celebrate the purchasing of cheap shit and...". I honestly think Black Friday is kind of creative, and if people want to go knock themselves out to get some cheap stuff, I say knock yourself out. The Friday after Thanksgiving never really had a social compact or any significance before it became a commercial holiday, so whatever. Thanksgiving, on the other hand, did have other social significance, and suddenly that's being ignored and overridden.

Can't comment on Black Friday, as not in the US, but the simple way to not get outraged about rampant consumerism is to ignore it. You're not going to change it by ranting about it online, or indeed buying stuff to smash up (think about that one), the best way is to simply remove yourself from it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post
    The point is that a holiday like Thanksgiving is meant to be a culturally respected opportunity to have time with family in an otherwise busy life. It's a social compact that we can all be with our families and take one day away from the rest of our lives. Corporate America, and the greedy consumers that are too cheap to pass up cheap shit on sale, are now violating a social compact that has served us well for hundreds of years now. Like I said before, I have no problems with Black Friday. Shit, I host a big Black Friday party every year, and the invitation typically has some form of "...celebrate the purchasing of cheap shit and...". I honestly think Black Friday is kind of creative, and if people want to go knock themselves out to get some cheap stuff, I say knock yourself out. The Friday after Thanksgiving never really had a social compact or any significance before it became a commercial holiday, so whatever. Thanksgiving, on the other hand, did have other social significance, and suddenly that's being ignored and overridden.
    People... people know they don't have to shop right?