Thread: Heya heya hi there!

Default Heya heya hi there!

Good evening, folks,
    I just recently moved from SC to Michigan to be closer to my wife's family, and haven't really met anyone here yet. I started looking around for abdl social networking and community sites, and ended up at adisc. It seems like what I was looking for.

I've been an ABDL for awhile and have really liked going to munches and other meetups. I like how most folks are just regular people, too.

While I was living in South Carolina, I mastered low-and-slow barbeque. I make a mean rack of ribs, and love cooking a 14-hour Boston Butt (which does not actually come from a pig's behind). I like a yood craft beer, but it hasn't gotten me so snobby that I won't drinkBud Ligh.

I used to play MMOs like WoW and EQ, but got bored and quit a year ago. I signed up to alpha test Camelot Unchained, which really has my hopes up. Any other Founders here?

I love zooming around in my Z28 Camaro, though I may have to put her away for the winter if I want het to stay looking sharp. I hear these northern winters are pretty hard on cars, even if you wash the every week or so.

My wife likes cats, so now I like cats, too. I was a bird person, but the two do not get along, if Saturday morning cartoons are to be believed.

I was a reactor operator in the Navy for 10 years, and now I'm using my GI Bill benefits to get an engineering degree. Hopefully I'll be able to use it to get a job where I get to help make decisions. I wasn't very good at "just following orders"

I'm looking forward to talking with folks and maybe starting a Michigan BBQ brunch munch in the Spring when we can go outside again!

Welcome! I'm a Michigander myself and was born and raised here. I live in Kalamazoo, and know several Adisc Members from around the state!
    I too am a cat lover, and while I'm not a beer drinker, I make my own Homebrew Hard Cider. And yeah, Michigan winters basically eat cars due to the excessive amount of road salt. front wheel drive or all wheel drive is also a must in Michigan because rear wheel drive ain't worth a damn in the snow...... I sometimes had to put my pickup in 4wd on the main roads in the winter before I bought a Chevy Cruze
    (which gets triple the gas mileage and does very well in the snow!)

Yes, we have a number if servicemen and women, some on active duty, some militia or national Guard, and plenty from other countries than the U S of A.

Good for you on your hobbies, including being active in the abdl community. You will have lots of guidance to offer to others who want to actively look for and meet more of us.

Quote Originally Posted by MIBluejeans View Post
    Good evening, folks,
    I just recently moved from SC to Michigan to be closer to my wife's family, and haven't really met anyone here yet. I started looking around for abdl social networking and community sites, and ended up at adisc. It seems like what I was looking for.

I've been an ABDL for awhile and have really liked going to munches and other meetups. I like how most folks are just regular people, too.

While I was living in South Carolina, I mastered low-and-slow barbeque. I make a mean rack of ribs, and love cooking a 14-hour Boston Butt (which does not actually come from a pig's behind). I like a yood craft beer, but it hasn't gotten me so snobby that I won't drinkBud Ligh.

I used to play MMOs like WoW and EQ, but got bored and quit a year ago. I signed up to alpha test Camelot Unchained, which really has my hopes up. Any other Founders here?

I love zooming around in my Z28 Camaro, though I may have to put her away for the winter if I want het to stay looking sharp. I hear these northern winters are pretty hard on cars, even if you wash the every week or so.

My wife likes cats, so now I like cats, too. I was a bird person, but the two do not get along, if Saturday morning cartoons are to be believed.

I was a reactor operator in the Navy for 10 years, and now I'm using my GI Bill benefits to get an engineering degree. Hopefully I'll be able to use it to get a job where I get to help make decisions. I wasn't very good at "just following orders"

I'm looking forward to talking with folks and maybe starting a Michigan BBQ brunch munch in the Spring when we can go outside again!
    Hello and welcome from another Michigander! If you like beer and American iron, you're in the right place. About the only states that can compete with us in terms of beer are Oregon and California, and you'll see more American iron here than most anywhere else.

But if you like your Z-28 (btw, what year? My dad's looking for a '79.), put it up for the winter. Once you get salt up in there, you'll never get it out. Something like that, or my '78 Continental, or our '77 Thunderbird, are relegated to play car status here. If you're coming from the South, you'll notice that there aren't that many old cars here (by old I mean like 20 years old, not collectible but not at all new). That's because of the salt and the rust it causes. I just recently had to rebuild the entire brake system on a friend's 99 Cavalier because the brake lines rusted away to the point of failure. Aside from old Town Cars/Grand Marquises/Crown Victorias or the occasional H-Body GM, you won't see much around here older than 10-15 years being used as a daily driver. They just get so rotted that even if they still run, they're unsafe at any speed. Seeing a Civic from the '90s here is about as common as seeing a '57 Chevy or some other cool classic (as in, there are so few Hondas from the 90's left here that they're that rare to see).

So what part of Michigan are you in then? I'd love to see the community get a bit more active around here.

Quote Originally Posted by DeftLeppard View Post
    Welcome! I'm a Michigander myself and was born and raised here. I live in Kalamazoo, and know several Adisc Members from around the state!
    I too am a cat lover, and while I'm not a beer drinker, I make my own Homebrew Hard Cider. And yeah, Michigan winters basically eat cars due to the excessive amount of road salt. front wheel drive or all wheel drive is also a must in Michigan because rear wheel drive ain't worth a damn in the snow...... I sometimes had to put my pickup in 4wd on the main roads in the winter before I bought a Chevy Cruze
    (which gets triple the gas mileage and does very well in the snow!)
    Yawn. If you're a competent driver, a heavy rear-driver with decent tires will outperform a lot of front drivers in the snow. Rear-drivers also have the benefit of handling predictably in the snow, which means it's easier to keep them under control and get them back under control if the need arises. A Miata or Camaro or something like that would be terrible in the snow (although I saw a whole lot of Ford Mustang management lease cars used as daily drivers in all weather without much issue), but a Town Car with good tires can keep on truckin' across I-94 past the AWD SUV types spun out in the ditch. Actually, Mr. Aurkarm's V8 rear-drive Town Car does better in the snow than my front-drive manual transmission 4-banger Honda Element does (and it's not even close-the Element is absolutely terrifying if the pavement is not perfectly dry). AWD/4x4 is good for is getting you moving, but it also gives a lot of people a false sense of confidence, so they overdrive the conditions and crash out as a result.

That said, the drive wheels overall matter much less than the experience and caliber of the driver.

Well hello and welcome, Bluejeans! That was a really good intro! I like a good craft beer myself. Learn to homebrew and join our group, hehe, then we'll have three people! What's your favorite beer? (Theakston's Old Peculier or Ommegang Three Philosophers are mine)

I too am researching the Engineering field. Looks like where my career is going. Do you see yourself doing energy- or nuclear-related things?

It's a pleasure to meet you, thanks for joining!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post

So what part of Michigan are you in then? I'd love to see the community get a bit more active around here.
    I just moved to the Flint area. I'll admit, I heard nothing but bad things about it, but it's not as bad as I thought. Plus, it's only two hours from a lot of places here. We went to see the Lions beat my other team, the Cowboys, last month in Detroit, and we're going to check out some of the breweries in Traverse City, Grand Rapids, and maybe Kalamazoo, and none of them are a very far drive.

And Katie Camaro is 13 years old. She's a 2001 with T-tops.

As far as favorite beer, I really like Frankenmuth Brewery's Hefeweisen. German beers in general are usually very good. I started homebrewing with Mr. Beer, if that counts. I like being able to change their recipies and seeing how that affects the taste. Their canned worts are cheating, but it saves having to buy a ton of equipment.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by MIBluejeans View Post
    I just moved to the Flint area. I'll admit, I heard nothing but bad things about it, but it's not as bad as I thought. Plus, it's only two hours from a lot of places here. We went to see the Lions beat my other team, the Cowboys, last month in Detroit, and we're going to check out some of the breweries in Traverse City, Grand Rapids, and maybe Kalamazoo, and none of them are a very far drive.

And Katie Camaro is 13 years old. She's a 2001 with T-tops.

As far as favorite beer, I really like Frankenmuth Brewery's Hefeweisen. German beers in general are usually very good. I started homebrewing with Mr. Beer, if that counts. I like being able to change their recipies and seeing how that affects the taste. Their canned worts are cheating, but it saves having to buy a ton of equipment.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
    I got a Mr. Beer kit a couple of years ago for Christmas. I did it, and the beer came out ok. It also prompted me to go buy a better brewing kit at Adventures in Homebrewing. It's fun, but expensive. I haven't brewed up a batch in quite awhile just because cash has been tight. Have you tried any of the other Mr. Beer kits? I've seen them advertised, but like I said, I went for a full rig instead.

If you are planning on coming to Kalamazoo, Bell's Brewery has a general store with tons of homebrewing supplies and equipment next door to the brewpub.
    Come on over some time and I'd be happy to give you a sample of my homemade hard cider

The Mr. Beer hefeweisen is pretty solid. I added honey and a can of mandarin oranges to boost the citrus notes, but didnt think to strain it, so it came out unappatizingly pulpy. I've also done the Guiness clone, which came out a little flat, but tasted good. Next up is the Miller/Bud Light version. Now that we have our own apartment, we've got the kegerator hooked up, so it may take a back seat. All in all, the Mr. Beer system is a good introduction to the process.

We got some hard cider from a local orchard, and I'll say I'm a fan. If I make it out to the zoo sometime, id love to try yours!

I add Mountain Dew Voltage to mine, both to kill the yeast after fermentation, and give it a kick:P