Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urgent advice please guys?

Default Urgent advice please guys?

Basically I have a history of problems with expelling my catheter and recurring UTI's since I had the first catheter fitted....

Today I have been having VERY painful bypassing and bladder spasms...

I just went to the toilet for a number two and to change my pad and I was shocked to see thick coagulated blood on the pad. I haven't had a period since 2003 due to being on a range of products that have stopped my cycle, so I know it is not THAT blood....

I then think to check what my leg bag looks like and yes, there is obviously blood going into it, it is dark and I can see coagulated blood in the tube and residual in the bag....

I don't like to disturb the district nurses out of office hours...

Is this a situation where I can wait until Monday morning, or do I need to be calling them immediately?

I feel like shite but I thought that was because I had my flu jab on Friday...

Will just check my temperature...

Only 1c over my usual temperature...

Looking forward to your replies.

Here in the US it would be a 911 call for help. I wouldn't delay getting help.

I couldn't stop worrying so I called the district nurses...

She told me to change my leg bag and drink lots and lots and she will call me later this afternoon to see how I am getting on.

She is working on the simple notion that my bladder spasms have caused the catheter to move and damage my urinary tract enough to make it bleed.

If you ask me, there's a bit too much blood to be mild "catheter pull" type damage, but I will follow her instructions.

Currently running a bath to see if I can ease the pain....

Will update in an hour.

... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I really hope that the nurse takes this seriously. If you can - save the bag with the bloody urine in it and show it to her when she comes over.

Go in any way have a dr look at it better safe then sorry . We would hate to loose you to some one thinking shedid not think it was that bad and then they find you no longer alive.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVimes View Post
    I don't like to disturb the district nurses out of office hours...

Is this a situation where I can wait until Monday morning, or do I need to be calling them immediately?

district nurse? hell NO! Get a doctor or go to a hospital!

Seriously vimes, blood clotting, internal bleeding, etc... I can not give you any diagnosis... but it SHOULD BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY.

Not something to wait it out for... really NOT.

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post

Seriously vimes, blood clotting, internal bleeding, etc... I can not give you any diagnosis... but it SHOULD BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY.

I couldn't agree more with you. Remembering things Vimes has told us about here when it came to her medical condition I have felt that she is not being taken as seriously as she should be. If I were her and had these things happen I would be going to the ER right away....

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJulie View Post
    ... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I really hope that the nurse takes this seriously. If you can - save the bag with the bloody urine in it and show it to her when she comes over.
    I already emptied it, but I have kept the bag because there is a thick white/yellow residue in the tubing that doesn't look normal.

I had a hot bath to try and ease the pain, but it hasn't eased it at all

I think I may now have a minor blockage in my catheter because very little is draining into the bag atm. There also seems to be minimal blood into the leg bag, (whether that is because my catheter is blocked from coagulating blood is another question) will assess how much blood I am bypassing, if any, shortly. (Now checked and I am still bypassing blood and feck does it hurt, the pain is worse than ANY UTI I have EVER had! (And believe me, I've had some bad ones!))

With the pain I am in I will insist they come and check the catheter when they call me because I shouldn't be in this much pain, I think I may have expelled the catheter into my urethra again. (still seemed too much blood to be a scratch or damage from the catheter balloon still being intact and inflated)

I have just left a message on their answering machine begging to be seen tonight.

If they don't respond within a reasonable time I will call a doctor out.

As a rule, I don't cry about pain unless it hurts so much I could cut whatever is hurting right off, (because with all my conditions, I am no stranger to immense blood curdling pain!) but feck am I crying now.

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post

This would be my answer, and emphasis too!

General rule of thumb...if in doubt...check it out! (Get it checked out by a qualifying MD)

Also, as much as baths can help us feel nicer... I would have advised against a bath in this particular case...it's not anywhere near sterile!

Even something so seemingly innocuous as a bath can wind up causing many more complications...get proper medical advice first, without concern for office hours...

I hope for the sake of proper medical treatment, that you are being seen in hospital now...

-Marka