Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is the Real News these days.

Default Where is the Real News these days.

Watching the news these days seems like watching Groundhogs day, they get stuck on something and run it till every one is sick of hearing about it.

Any more we do not get the whole story from the news. It is more like propaganda from one side or the other.

Health Care seems to be the flavor of the week. Oh the Web Site is not working , so that means the whole Law must be the same way. What they are not saying is that it os about 15% of the population, US, that do not have Health Insurance. Many of them because the have a pre existing condition.

Another one is this is not Government run Health Care, it is through private insurers . There will be a lot more people on Medicaid, Those people are the working poor.

I wonder how others feel about this one. I heard on the news today that some owns a 5 Million $ home and is now getting Medicaid. Sorry but this one does not set right with me. They should sell the house move to a smaller on , invest the money and live happily ever after. But don't take advantage of the system.

We all do need health care insurance, we are not Super Men or Women. We are human and human bodies break. No matter what age you are.

Print media isn't dead, and is far less repetitive. With regard to US news, the NYTimes is still rather reliable. You can get it in most major cities, and can always access it online. (Though, they have a pay wall. 10 free stories a month, and unlimited links in. Past that it's $10/Mo. I beleive)

If you're okay with an online media source, Aljazeera English is remarkably unbiased, and will provide a better world perspective than most US news channels.

Standard broastcast news has become highly politicized, with channels like Fox News/Sun News/CNN hardly hiring journalists anymore. It's much easier to hire a pundit and get them started on repeating someone's message track.

I listen to NPR, among other sources. They cover a lot of different news stories, many of them world news. Today, they had some very in depth stories covering the Kennedy assassination. A couple of the stories made me tear up as they were very moving. I was going to get an on-line subscription to the Washington Post, but it's being sold, and I'm not sure how in depth their new format is going to be.

An interesting fact was presented by NPR, that two weeks before the assassination, CBS news had gone from a 15 minute news broadcast at 11:00 p.m. to a whole half hour. Of course their anchor was the incredible Walter Cronkite. Though the news broadcasts today on the big three networks seem like "news light", one does get a half hour of local, and at least a half hour of world news.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrallen View Post
    I wonder how others feel about this one. I heard on the news today that some owns a 5 Million $ home and is now getting Medicaid. Sorry but this one does not set right with me. They should sell the house move to a smaller on , invest the money and live happily ever after. But don't take advantage of the system.

We all do need health care insurance, we are not Super Men or Women. We are human and human bodies break. No matter what age you are.
    Access to healthcare regardless of means cuts both ways - rich and poor. It's far better to have rich people/ those who could afford private care in the system - that way more people have an interest in the system, and the quality of provision stays high because it's not such an easy political target for cuts.

Watching the news these days seems like watching Groundhogs day, they get stuck on something and run it till every one is sick of hearing about it.

Any more we do not get the whole story from the news. It is more like propaganda from one side or the other.

Health Care seems to be the flavor of the week. Oh the Web Site is not working , so that means the whole Law must be the same way. What they are not saying is that it os about 15% of the population, US, that do not have Health Insurance. Many of them because the have a pre existing condition.

Another one is this is not Government run Health Care, it is through private insurers . There will be a lot more people on Medicaid, Those people are the working poor.

Well,

As for real news...I agree...20-30 years ago it was different...

And even the ny times, and NPR, they may cover a bit more...but not without a slant...

We even have a filtered version of BBC here...BBC America...

Now, as for the guy that has a 5M home...and is now on Medicade...

I ask you why should he have to sell his house?

I see that this person must have made the money to buy the house, pays taxes on that money, and pays taxes on that house every year...And is now either retired or disabled and most likely doesn't even want the Medicade...

Me, I have a 2-3Million dollar property...including my apple orchard and everything...

I eventually will be on Medicade...I don't have a choice...that is my only option...

Else I'd just not have any insurance...I've always paid for all my medical out of my pocket...

Just because I didn't max out credit cards, and home equtity loans, and spend it on interest...

Instead, pay for things with cash as I can since age 16...and built my houses myself...

Why should I then sell my house...for what reason...

If you want to go down that road...then if your on ANY govt program even if forced...I guess you should have to sell all your possessions and live in a govt run home...

I take care of myself...always have...always will...I don't want Medicade...in fact I'll most likely never use it even though I have it...I'll keep going to the very best dr. I can find for an given condition...And I'm sure it won't be on the approved list...

Now, Remember at some point in the next 10 or so years...Bill Gates will be on social security and Medicade....

If I'm not mistaken, Sam Walton, at the time the richest man in the world, whence he retired got his social security stuff...

Now, it not about what a person has had, or what they may own for a house...It's about today and are they not working for one reasonor another...justifiably...

The way it was supposed to work...and it sort still does on the citizens end...

You work, pay money into "required" govt programs that once your retired or disabled will then repay you that money you paid into the program...

Where the problem lies if that the money was never invested, but instead redirected into other programs...robbing Peter to pay Paul...

Railroad retirement is what railroad workers have instead of social security programs...

The workers pay in similar to the social security programs...and when the retire or are disabled get paid then...

That railroad program is solvent...Social security had "borrowed" money from that fund a few times...it was more extortion...they wanted to take the private program that has an overage of money per what is paid out and "consolidate" it into social security...well the UTU just ended up giving them a check each time instead of being absorbed into the Borg!

So, Kenny, the media loved to enrage people with...that guy has more than you type of crap news...

Not to mention...if he lives in certain areas that 5m house might not be as much as you think...1m won't even buy you a POS in L.A....

If I could move my property it would be worth 10 times what it is now...

A friend of mine sold his house in Chicago...just a 3 bedroom house...but moved to Texas for work...Well he has a mansion there with all the amenities and it didn't cost nearly what his regular house did in Chicago...

Now, I have friends that have lots of money...and others that don't have much...

If you have a $10,000 trailer house or a $10,000,000 house or even a billion dollar mansion...Why does that effect what you get for health care...

People want universal healthcare...not Obama care...but like France...if just available...you need it use it...

The guy that has a $5m house doesn't get better medical coverage...unless he pays for it...

If your retired, or disabled you will be on Medicade/Medicare that's it...no matter what you have for assets...

Now, a person that has lots of assets will not get any of the other things, like SSI, EBT, etc...and that is fine.

But, do you think you should have to sell your assets to get healthcare...?

Me, I don't care if I have healthcare...don't want it...I've had it before...never used it...

So far even having an accident and all the medical bills are all paid by me...the insurance company will kick in the bucks eventually to cover some of the costs...but that isn't my primary concern...

Just like I don't have full coverage on my cars...if I break them I fix them...I wouldn't even have liability if I didn't have to have it by law...and in fact I used to have a 250,000 bond posted years ago so I didn't have to Cary insurance...

Insurance companies are there to make money for the insurance company and pay all its employees...

They don't loose money else they would be bankrupt long ago...

All the insurance companies should be just wiped from the earth...right with the lawyers...and may other areas too...

If the overhead of the company and all the auditors and advertising and building and shareholder profits were all taken out of the mix...we'd see a different financial picture...

Most the "first world" countries have made health care free to all that are there...it just cheaper overall...much cheaper...but the "companies" don't want that...

We pay the most generalized monetary amount for healthcare of any country...and we aren't even close to the top of the list when it comes to healthcare!

B

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbabybret View Post
    Well,

As for real news...I agree...20-30 years ago it was different...

And even the ny times, and NPR, they may cover a bit more...but not without a slant...

We even have a filtered version of BBC here...BBC America...

Now, as for the guy that has a 5M home...and is now on Medicade...

I ask you why should he have to sell his house?

I see that this person must have made the money to buy the house, pays taxes on that money, and pays taxes on that house every year...And is now either retired or disabled and most likely doesn't even want the Medicade...

Me, I have a 2-3Million dollar property...including my apple orchard and everything...

I eventually will be on Medicade...I don't have a choice...that is my only option...

Else I'd just not have any insurance...I've always paid for all my medical out of my pocket...

Just because I didn't max out credit cards, and home equtity loans, and spend it on interest...

Instead, pay for things with cash as I can since age 16...and built my houses myself...

Why should I then sell my house...for what reason...

If you want to go down that road...then if your on ANY govt program even if forced...I guess you should have to sell all your possessions and live in a govt run home...

I take care of myself...always have...always will...I don't want Medicade...in fact I'll most likely never use it even though I have it...I'll keep going to the very best dr. I can find for an given condition...And I'm sure it won't be on the approved list...

Now, Remember at some point in the next 10 or so years...Bill Gates will be on social security and Medicade....

If I'm not mistaken, Sam Walton, at the time the richest man in the world, whence he retired got his social security stuff...

Now, it not about what a person has had, or what they may own for a house...It's about today and are they not working for one reasonor another...justifiably...

The way it was supposed to work...and it sort still does on the citizens end...

You work, pay money into "required" govt programs that once your retired or disabled will then repay you that money you paid into the program...

Where the problem lies if that the money was never invested, but instead redirected into other programs...robbing Peter to pay Paul...

Railroad retirement is what railroad workers have instead of social security programs...

The workers pay in similar to the social security programs...and when the retire or are disabled get paid then...

That railroad program is solvent...Social security had "borrowed" money from that fund a few times...it was more extortion...they wanted to take the private program that has an overage of money per what is paid out and "consolidate" it into social security...well the UTU just ended up giving them a check each time instead of being absorbed into the Borg!

So, Kenny, the media loved to enrage people with...that guy has more than you type of crap news...

Not to mention...if he lives in certain areas that 5m house might not be as much as you think...1m won't even buy you a POS in L.A....

If I could move my property it would be worth 10 times what it is now...

A friend of mine sold his house in Chicago...just a 3 bedroom house...but moved to Texas for work...Well he has a mansion there with all the amenities and it didn't cost nearly what his regular house did in Chicago...

Now, I have friends that have lots of money...and others that don't have much...

If you have a $10,000 trailer house or a $10,000,000 house or even a billion dollar mansion...Why does that effect what you get for health care...

People want universal healthcare...not Obama care...but like France...if just available...you need it use it...

The guy that has a $5m house doesn't get better medical coverage...unless he pays for it...

If your retired, or disabled you will be on Medicade/Medicare that's it...no matter what you have for assets...

Now, a person that has lots of assets will not get any of the other things, like SSI, EBT, etc...and that is fine.

But, do you think you should have to sell your assets to get healthcare...?

Me, I don't care if I have healthcare...don't want it...I've had it before...never used it...

So far even having an accident and all the medical bills are all paid by me...the insurance company will kick in the bucks eventually to cover some of the costs...but that isn't my primary concern...

Just like I don't have full coverage on my cars...if I break them I fix them...I wouldn't even have liability if I didn't have to have it by law...and in fact I used to have a 250,000 bond posted years ago so I didn't have to Cary insurance...

Insurance companies are there to make money for the insurance company and pay all its employees...

They don't loose money else they would be bankrupt long ago...

All the insurance companies should be just wiped from the earth...right with the lawyers...and may other areas too...

If the overhead of the company and all the auditors and advertising and building and shareholder profits were all taken out of the mix...we'd see a different financial picture...

Most the "first world" countries have made health care free to all that are there...it just cheaper overall...much cheaper...but the "companies" don't want that...

We pay the most generalized monetary amount for healthcare of any country...and we aren't even close to the top of the list when it comes to healthcare!

B
    Medicare Yes we have paid into that all our working lives. But when I became Disabled I had to drain my bank account before I could bet any help. It did happen when I didn't have Health insurance. That was one of things I tried to find jobs that provided it.

Investing in property is great if you can find a way to do it.

The home you live in they can not force you to sell to get Medicaid now, but a 5 Million $ home i do find a bit much. The story did say that it was paid for.

Smile

And that is probably why you heard this story -- not because it's true, but because it's the kind of thing that would wind up most people... I'd guess that EITHER the news organisation reporting this has a vested interest in stirring up resentment for Medicaid (maybe a political party that wants to cut it back would tax the news organisation or their "big cheeses" a lot less if they got into power... OR they just want to grab your attention -- the more "eyeballs" they have, the more they can profit from selling advertising space. OR maybe, whoever originally reported it has made stuff up just to earn a bit of cash by selling the story.

I have to say that life has seemed a lot less stressful since I stopped habitually watching/reading the news. I haven't missed out on a single thing that I actually might need to know about.

Medicare Yes we have paid into that all our working lives. But when I became Disabled I had to drain my bank account before I could bet any help. It did happen when I didn't have Health insurance. That was one of things I tried to find jobs that provided it.

Investing in property is great if you can find a way to do it.

The home you live in they can not force you to sell to get Medicaid now, but a 5 Million $ home i do find a bit much. The story did say that it was paid for.
    Well,

Me too, I've invested at this point about 315K into my health and keeping my foot/leg...

IMHO well worth it...

But yes, I have less than $100 in my bank account right now...but, I have some monies coming in Janurary and June next year...

And Both medicare and Social security I've paid into since I was 16...I was an emancipated minor at that point...

I've also always paid into the fund used for unemployment...I think its called reemployment insurance now...

Nice thing about those is I've always bee either Contract or self Employed...and ineligible to receive it...But, still have to pay it...

I've never complained about many taxes...Most are OK...

I agree with quite a few...paying for roads through taxes...and county and state services are fine...

Income tax...Questionable...

other unfair, Such as the unemployment, even school, I pay thousands every year for this...I have NO kids of my own, and everyone I have supported was taught either at home or Privately...

As for property, i pay over 8K every year in property tax alone...Let alone the other levies that bring that total to over 10K every year...

5 Million for a house...That isn't a large number where I come from...and it varies around the US wildly...

One friend of mine in the area during the divorce had his house listed for over 25 Million...

anyhow, I see no reason to require someone to sell thier house for getting insurance, even social security they have paid into...Most like at the maximum rates...

b

Thanks to Facebook, Twitter, news websites even ADISC (tornado thread last weekend) we live in an age of instant news. Looking at a newspaper is usually yesterday's news. I still read the paper, but usually only glance through the titles and reading something I might have missed elsewhere or want to read more information about it. I used to watch the nightly news, but my work hours changed three years ago and its basically over by the time I get home. But I don't really miss the news as they will run a story into the ground. If a local elected official does a no-no, they will run the story for days until another story comes along. The old news adage "If it bleeds, it leads" is typical and the lead story in that regards is usually worth watching.

Where is the quality news? It usually takes a few hours for it to come about and then you've probably heard the basics of the story by then anyway. Let's say an empty building caught on fire with no injuries. First you see images of the fire. Then an interview with the firemen. The you find out the police are investigating. Then you find out about a lawsuit. By the time you get to the final story days or weeks later, you're bored with it. But, waiting for a story to be completely written with all the facts all at once would also take days to develop and by then you might have forgotten about the fire or some other tragedy has come up.

The media are all about one-upping each other, too. Remember the 2008 presidential election when Bush won? No Gore did. No Bush did. No, it's a tie. Florida screwed up. Weeks later we finally learned the results. But then again, this is quicker than the pre-telegraph days when it would take weeks to tabulate votes and announce the presidential winner via pony express riders.

I've worked ten years as an instructional assistant in the public schools so I could have excellent healthcare. Medicare will kick in for me 2014 when I retire, and I can keep my present health care provider for my secondary. For most of us, health care is the tail that wags the dog. One serious illness can financially wipe you out. My wife does home dialysis, and that bill is $30,000.00 a month, though the actual cost is $8,500.00. The rest goes to those who don't have health insurance.

Our news sources rarely discuss the reality of healthcare. Most news shows are "news lite".