Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seizures

Default Seizures

Just a question...
    My husband (Papa) has seizures. Been having them since he was a teen, possibly before. Anyway they had been stable for years. Then, last year, when we were engaged, he started having them in a stream and it took him a long time to admit they were going on, much less get help. They had a noticeable effect on him, especially when the doctor decided to add new meds. His personality changed quite a bit, so much that we debated if it was the right time to get married... Anyway... Got him sorta stable this year but his body hadn't been cooperating to switch to this new meds. The doctor is advising we either try another new one or possibly get some sort of electric implant thing. In the past certain vitamins and supplements have helped. We will go down that route first. Either way, I was wondering has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have any advice? Is this implant worth it?

Btw, we are both very glad we did get married! So much better than long distance! Also the vows said, "in sickness and in health" right? We've been dealing with my own health issues this year as well and he's been a saint, really.

Thanks, guys!

My son and his family look after a foster child who has seizures. I don't know a whole lot about it, but I know what you're talking about. I've heard of the implant, and I believe it has its own set of problems, though it may be a solution. Meds always have an impact on the well being of the client. Seizure medicine is strong stuff. I think all you can do is trust the judgement of your doctor.

For what it's worth, I married my wife 40 years ago, knowing she was diabetic. She certainly has had her health ups and downs, but I wouldn't trade my life for any other. Life isn't meant to be a fun filled amusement ride, but like health, has its ups and downs, its joys along with its sorrows. I wish you well in all of this.

Thanks so much dog boy! <3
    Being a special needs teacher, I've had students with seizures, but it was just my job to follow the instructions of the doctor and parents while bringing any changes to their attention. Being a spouse, on the other hand, I get to do a lot more than follow orders... Which I like, but can be a little confusing sometimes too.

It encourages me to hear about your relationship with your wife. His seizures have not made me love him less ever but I know sometimes people will try to tell me it's just the newlywed ardor, but I'm glad to know that love can last when we choose to and make the effort.

We are worried about the implant because we travel a lot and think finding misplaced pills would be easier to deal with then a dead battery in that. Yet, I love the idea of no typical seizure side effects. I think my husband is also a little turned off of it because, being blind, his cane sometimes turns people away and he thinks having wires near your neck may have the same effect. Since he's a people person it would bother him if it had that effect, but I told him unexplained grogginess or random incoherence can have the same effect, just saying.

Anyway thanks again! We will keep researching! I appreciate the encouragement

For the medication they do have different reactions to different people. If his body don't adjust or the medication dose not work. Try another medication. One thing I found it matter which medication you take. Name brand or Generic. Because my body dose not react to generic medication very well and I start having issues.

Now for the implant. That a touchy subject. Because some people it works other people it don't work. And it can change someone voice and could cause infection. They also have to be replaced every so many years. My guess every 7 years. But it also depends on much power is needed to control the seizures. For some people it might last 10 years others it could be as shorter as 5 years. Now because I work on computers I don't need something that could cause issue with me and the computers I work with :P.

Glad you got Married.

Hay Dogboy dose the child have Dravet Syndrome?

Ok I'll start off by saying I personally have seizures and have had them for the past 14 years.And as dogboy said seizure meds are very strong meds and they usually have a big impact on a persons personality because they deal directly with the brain that is why finding the right pills is a process of trial and error most of the time.So his body not wanting to cooperate with these new meds is a sign that he either needs new meds or something to supplement his system to allow these new meds to work properly,but it might come down to a series of switching between meds till they find what works best for him and that can sometimes take awhile but in the end it'll be worth it for you both.

As far as the implant goes I've heard mix messages about it but personally I think the implant should be a last resort in case other treatments just don't take well.

So just trust in the doctors and do what you and your husband think is best and good luck ^_^

I don't get them very often, but when I do, their awful. I probably had 10 to 12 my lifetime. Always the last four years. Though haven't had one in about eight months at this point.

One thing to help get the right medication is a DNA test. They can use that to find which medication might work best for the user.

Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post

Hay Dogboy dose the child have Dravet Syndrome?
    I don't know, but I do know he inherited it from his mother, and she died a couple years ago from it. He's a sweet kid and my wife and I will be having Thanksgiving dinner with him and our family. The seizures have caused a lot of harm to him, as he functions maybe at a 3 year old level, though that is deceiving as he has a number of skills. He's non verbal and wears diapers. I know, how ironic. He can express himself with limited sign language. He loves to watch cartoons in his room, but if he doesn't have his cartoons, he can be difficult, banging his head.

Sometimes we forget how blessed we are, even with our own infirmities. Even with my wife's health problems, I'm grateful for the things we have, and that her health allows her to be functional and able to do most things.

It sounds like the Dravet Sndrome My guess he having like 100 200 seizures a week or something like that. So he does not have a normal life. Plus the Huge amount of side effects a lot of medications that don't even work or help. I tried sending you some info that you can give to son. But it seems your mail is full lol. Just have him look up CBD for Epilepsy. Tell that to your son. If he want more info I send you like 11 websites. A few of the sites are from the US Government and some I believe a few are from the UK government a few videos. How some kids life has change because of it.

Well I couldn't figure out how to reply with more than one quote, so here it goes...

Lestat - we have been wondering about the generic differences. The doctor told us the effects can be as different as 20%. Yikes!! My husband keeps talking about the price difference. I know its important to budget and all, but seriously, this is a necessity. We see the doctor again in a little over a week... Sooner if they get any worse. We will have to ask him about that DNA testing. As far as the implant goes... Since he's a teacher and thin, not swallowing and not talking do not sound like favourite options. Even so, I'm glad it's there for when it's needed. Thanks so much for your advice!

YAHLD - thanks for the input! We are thinking of going down the changing meds route. It's been over a year now that he started this new one combined with the old one and it has never been right. It must just not be the one for him. The ones he was on before too was taking away the calcium in his body and effecting his teeth and bones. He probably needs a whole new, non generic one.

IncontinentGM24- glad to hear you've been seizure free for eight months!

Dog boy and lestat- that child sounds so sweet. Reminds me of my old class. Eight kids... Seven non verbal. I could even go to work with a sore throat because we didn't do tons of talking anyway... Mostly signing haha. Fun times most days. One of the students though was so sweet, but had a lot going on, one thing being seizures. She started becoming self abusive. It turned out that a new seizure med they had out her on didn't mix well with some other calming meds. They decided to switch the seizure med. she started having them all day in class and at home. Was giving her Valium and would only slow it down for a few hours. She was six and a half at the time, functioning about the level of a one year old, then, with the meds changing, she dropped to about a four or five month old. Even after the meds were fully switched and the seizures stopped she didn't return to her previous performance level when I was her teacher. Since I've been here her mom said she's just started to get a few words back and that was two years ago now. Such serious stuff, but it's frustrating when there's only so much you can do. Sigh. I've been wondering if there's any literature about the history of seizures?