Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think it is possible to make a diaper machine or your own diaper?

Default Do you think it is possible to make a diaper machine or your own diaper?

Do you think it would be possible for someone to build a small diaper machine? I am not talking about one meant for huge production. I have wondered if you could make blue prints and gather the materials, but every time I look into it to see how much the price would cost, the companies start asking for your companies name and stuff. It seems like they have made it harder to gather these materials on purpose.

I just would find it cool to bypass the middle man and make a true abdl diaper.

Do you think you could make a diaper by hand? I am not talking about that cheap plastic bag stupid mess. I am talking about a legit disposable diaper.

It'd be quite an undertaking; you'd need the raw materials (pulp, SAP, plastic sheeting, elastic) that may end up costing more than premade diapers before you could even combine the materials to make the finished product, in the long run it's probablt be more economical to get a Dependeco or a hand-sewn cloth diaper on Ebay with a set of plastic pants, otherwise appeal to Bambino to make more printed backing

It depends on how handy you are. if you are handy and have experience with such areas as fabrication (ie, model airplanes, home machine shop, robotics, welding, etc), you probably could put together a machine which could produce diapers. One approach I think one might be able to take would be to get some really old printers, and use the print signal protocols and stepper motors to feed the various sheet(s) through, and one could either use laser or rotating cutters along an adjustable rail to make the 'hourglass' shape, to whatever specific dimensions required. Diaper printer, anyone?

Practical? Maybe not so much. Doable? With enough time and dedication, there is a lot that is allowed by physics and chemistry.

Getting your hands on the proper materials in small quantities could be hard. I get the feeling they come in giant rolls that you can't order part of. You might be able to find substitutes like industrial absorbent mats and plastic sheeting. Not sure about the non woven top sheets.

I think that DragOven and MasterPython are correct about the problems they have mentioned. Another huge deterrent would be cost. I think it would be very expensive.

Simple answer: FORGET IT.

A bit more elaboration:
    I'm a trained Machinist, these days self employed and act as a tech-consultant & emergency trouble-shooter for large cnc machinery & production problems. and have my own shop.
    There's very little in terms of technical stuff I could not produce.

But the thing is this: a diaper making machine is a rather complex series of automated processes.
    Sure, you can simplify it down to a large degree, but would loose the ability to produce any quantity.. (I mean ok, like 10 or 20 a day).
    But even then, the tooling will cost you a small fortune (unless you'd own a fully equipped machine shop)....

For the most simple version, aside from raw materials (which are arguably really difficult to source at small quantities - and if you're able to find them, then they're overpriced, as pricing with these things only becomes reasonably cheap once you order bulk volumes).:
    - A set of cutting dies (you can improvise them from old bandsaw-blades, sharpened, mounted into wood-plates, etc... but they will not last)
    - a press (can be hand operated, but for that stuff as quick acting pneumatic setup (you don't need hydraulics power-wise in this case, as you're only cutting 20-sheets a cut or so)
    - a die-holder / press configuration LARGE enough to hold the entire dies and yet apply equal pressure
    - A hot glueing / heat bonding machine.
    - Something to evenly distribute the SAP/Pulp

Mind you, industrially speaking the dies are drum-dies (large pieces of round steel with a positive/negative impression... the sheet of material would be rolled though at high feed rates and the whole thing goes on on some sort of conveyor to the fill station, hot glueing, top-sheet laminating and sticky tape attachment.
    And that's for the most simplistic el-cheapo diapers without elastics, leak guards, etc.

A set of professional dies will set you back several thousand dollars.

A cheap press-ready die will set you back about 2k$
    the press (you could use an old book-binders press) could be found of ebay or so...
    the additional tooling you'd have to have made somwhere would set you back anywhere between 1.5 and 4k$

Now something that applies the glue in it's liquid hot state, evenly, on an irregular shape and an application that is yet quick enough to put the top sheet on and press it down...
    that's where it will get complex in terms of home-made stuff.

Aside from that you'd have to make sure that everything you get in terms of materials, glue etc... is safe for ON-SKIN use... and still safe if mixed with urine or whatever...

By the end of the day, even if you really go with the cheapest home made equipment that will not last... you're still several thousand $ into the investment.
    And yet have to source the materials.

Just a rough estimate, but if you take anything into account (materials, etc) to get you started, with something that would let you produce VERY MEDIOCRE Diapers of INCONSISTENT Quality at max. 20 a day (and that's optimistic) it would still set you back at least 10k$!
    Now just think this through: 10k$ would get you roughly 7100 Abena M4 Diapers from XP Medical. (actually I guess you'd get a pretty neat reduction on the price if you'd shop for 10k ... so it could easily score you 9-10'000diapers.)
    Now even if you use 5 of them a day... that would keep you in 24/7 business for roughly 5.5 years.

And this calculation is flawed,... as I did not take into account that after a few batches of self-made diapers, you'd have to buy new raw materials... so that would quantify the cost.

- - - Updated - - -

Side note: get a used industrial sewing machine... and make your own cloth diapers...
    Whilst I'm no fan of cloth diapers, at least they could be made at a home setting with a minimal investment.

There's a reason why there's only a few plants actually making diapers, and even less AB/DL geared ones. And that post above, just sums it up perfectly. It's too much of a complex and expensive process. Maybe if you were one extremely rich guy, you could waste money on this.

One question: What is it about the available diapers that you don't like? Or how would your diapers be different? (I have my own answers, but they seem less relevant to this discussion than the OP's.)

It may be impractical to create disposables from scratch in quantities that would satisfy the AB/DL market, but semi-automating the process of customizing existing diapers might be a lot more doable. I know there have been some pretty shady/dishonest businesses in the past that tried to sell terrible-quality modded diapers without disclosing what they were, but somebody who really put quality first and was transparent about things could probably carve out a niche.

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    Simple answer: FORGET IT.

A bit more elaboration:
    I'm a trained Machinist, these days self employed and act as a tech-consultant & emergency trouble-shooter for large cnc machinery & production problems. and have my own shop.
    There's very little in terms of technical stuff I could not produce.

But the thing is this: a diaper making machine is a rather complex series of automated processes.
    Sure, you can simplify it down to a large degree, but would loose the ability to produce any quantity.. (I mean ok, like 10 or 20 a day).
    But even then, the tooling will cost you a small fortune (unless you'd own a fully equipped machine shop)....

For the most simple version, aside from raw materials (which are arguably really difficult to source at small quantities - and if you're able to find them, then they're overpriced, as pricing with these things only becomes reasonably cheap once you order bulk volumes).:
    - A set of cutting dies (you can improvise them from old bandsaw-blades, sharpened, mounted into wood-plates, etc... but they will not last)
    - a press (can be hand operated, but for that stuff as quick acting pneumatic setup (you don't need hydraulics power-wise in this case, as you're only cutting 20-sheets a cut or so)
    - a die-holder / press configuration LARGE enough to hold the entire dies and yet apply equal pressure
    - A hot glueing / heat bonding machine.
    - Something to evenly distribute the SAP/Pulp

Mind you, industrially speaking the dies are drum-dies (large pieces of round steel with a positive/negative impression... the sheet of material would be rolled though at high feed rates and the whole thing goes on on some sort of conveyor to the fill station, hot glueing, top-sheet laminating and sticky tape attachment.
    And that's for the most simplistic el-cheapo diapers without elastics, leak guards, etc.

A set of professional dies will set you back several thousand dollars.

A cheap press-ready die will set you back about 2k$
    the press (you could use an old book-binders press) could be found of ebay or so...
    the additional tooling you'd have to have made somwhere would set you back anywhere between 1.5 and 4k$

Now something that applies the glue in it's liquid hot state, evenly, on an irregular shape and an application that is yet quick enough to put the top sheet on and press it down...
    that's where it will get complex in terms of home-made stuff.

Aside from that you'd have to make sure that everything you get in terms of materials, glue etc... is safe for ON-SKIN use... and still safe if mixed with urine or whatever...

By the end of the day, even if you really go with the cheapest home made equipment that will not last... you're still several thousand $ into the investment.
    And yet have to source the materials.

Just a rough estimate, but if you take anything into account (materials, etc) to get you started, with something that would let you produce VERY MEDIOCRE Diapers of INCONSISTENT Quality at max. 20 a day (and that's optimistic) it would still set you back at least 10k$!
    Now just think this through: 10k$ would get you roughly 7100 Abena M4 Diapers from XP Medical. (actually I guess you'd get a pretty neat reduction on the price if you'd shop for 10k ... so it could easily score you 9-10'000diapers.)
    Now even if you use 5 of them a day... that would keep you in 24/7 business for roughly 5.5 years.

And this calculation is flawed,... as I did not take into account that after a few batches of self-made diapers, you'd have to buy new raw materials... so that would quantify the cost.

- - - Updated - - -

Side note: get a used industrial sewing machine... and make your own cloth diapers...
    Whilst I'm no fan of cloth diapers, at least they could be made at a home setting with a minimal investment.

Yea I know it would cost some money to do, but I was asking if it was possible xD. Which it is according to you. I personally feel you over estimated some with the materials. I think you can manage to get smaller materials if you personally talk to the company and what not. Or if you have a local company that makes it where you can pick it up yourself, it might help to drop the price.

Now when i say cheaper I do not mean 50 bucks or anything, and I am only accounting for the materials, not the equipment.

Alas it is only a dream

To bad we couldn't just 3D print diapers. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    One question: What is it about the available diapers that you don't like? Or how would your diapers be different? (I have my own answers, but they seem less relevant to this discussion than the OP's.)

It may be impractical to create disposables from scratch in quantities that would satisfy the AB/DL market, but semi-automating the process of customizing existing diapers might be a lot more doable. I know there have been some pretty shady/dishonest businesses in the past that tried to sell terrible-quality modded diapers without disclosing what they were, but somebody who really put quality first and was transparent about things could probably carve out a niche.
    I was just curious as to if it could be done.

I am just sick of having a mental headache of not having good products in my size, but I wasn't trying to bring that back up. I know people are annoyed with me talking about it so I just avoid it. Me just mentioning that will probably kill this thread and people will ignore my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by kratox View Post
    Yea I know it would cost some money to do, but I was asking if it was possible xD. Which it is according to you. I personally feel you over estimated some with the materials. I think you can manage to get smaller materials if you personally talk to the company and what not. Or if you have a local company that makes it where you can pick it up yourself, it might help to drop the price.

Now when i say cheaper I do not mean 50 bucks or anything, and I am only accounting for the materials, not the equipment.

Alas it is only a dream

To bad we couldn't just 3D print diapers. XD

I was just curious as to if it could be done.

I am just sick of having a mental headache of not having good products in my size, but I wasn't trying to bring that back up. I know people are annoyed with me talking about it so I just avoid it. Me just mentioning that will probably kill this thread and people will ignore my original post.
    Well, I am certainly NOT stopping you from trying.
    My perspective comes from a years of working with industrial machinery, custom application, on consulting companies what to buy, how to get X made, what they need, etc, and I'm doing this around the globe....

As I've said, you can certainly try to IMPROVISE... check out old school leather cutting dies made by the leatherworkes back in the day (wood & cutting-bands (I've seen old bandsaw blades converted))... get an old book-binders press... they are often cheap and easy to source.
    this will allow you to precisely cut out SINGLE diaper shapes...
    Your dies will be good for a few hundred cuts if used right, then you will have make new ones.
    The press itself will last you forever with that kind of application.

As mentioned, the most major problems you'll be facing:
    - Bonding the top-sheet (the one that will be next to your skin) to the outer plastic... this isn't an easy task by any means for home-set-ups. You certainly will have to experiment a LOT here... and play it VERY safe when it comes to glue stuff (even cured) that will be in prolonged skin contact ... trust me it's not as harmless as it looks.
    - Stuff like the sticky tapes will be really difficult... those are CUSTOM MADE PRODUCTS for the respective diaper manufacturer and such items are usually NOT sold to anyone else. period.
    To get them, you'd have to commission a BULK order from a sticky tape manufacturer. and trust me, - not going to be small quantities, not going to be cheap.
    Sure you can improvise (anything from duck tape, to fancy sticky tape... )
    - And when you plan to add elastic leg gathers, waist, Leak Guards (especially difficult in a home-setup)... well that's going to take some SERIOUS inventing on your behalf.
    And I doubt it can be done with any bit of a quality at home.

Last but not least: repeatability & QC Issues.
    You'll have more pre-punctured diapers, wrongly glued ones, badly filled ones, non sticky, one, cut-failures, ripped materials, etc. than you could even guess.

I can understand your frustration about not being able to find a properly fitting product off-shelve.
    But your idea - at least with DISPOSABLE diapers - isn't going to work.
    There's hardly any way to get a diaper made (disposable) on your own that will compete with top-brand stuff (or even low quality ones) in terms of FUNCTIONALITY... Comfort, price, availability.

This reminds me of them chinese farmers who built an "Formula 1 Race car"... sure it has REMOTELY Similar shape... but that aside, it's anything but a race car.
    Compared to even the cheapest of the sports cars I had, it won't even score points against them... let alone a proper racing machine.

Or like the amazing home-built sub-marines by one east german guy back when the wall was still up... it worked - but you can't compare it to even a low end commercial model.

Whilst I'm a firm believer that almost ANYTHING can be achieved if you apply your mind to it, there is just some stuff that can not be done without proper tools, materials, etc...