Thread: thumb sucking dependence

babyboy262

Default thumb sucking dependence

How can I become dependent on sucking my thumb at night to go to sleep ?

Well, first I must ask this: Why do you want to? I understand it's a baby like thing that helps feel little. Heck I wish sleeping with my Paci was easier. That said, to go so far as having to suck on it to sleep could be a problem. As you could be found out and end up embarrassed. Now if you are okay with that and will accept the consequences...Perhaps hypnosis tapes or such would work. You could also try to attach yourself to your thumb by doing your best to suck it in situations you like a lot. Feel pretty happy? Go suck your thumb. With luck you can condition yourself so that the mind links the emotion and the action. It is shown a person can condition themselves. But I must also say that it could be a way or ruining your teeth, even as an adult. It is also commonly said that thumb sucking is worse on the teeth than a pacifier, as it places constant pressure on the teeth. I am not a dentist, so I can't verify this however. In the end, if you can accept the possible consequences, go ahead.

I have always sucked on my thumb, I never grew out of it. Be careful what you wish for, because thumb-sucking can mess up your teeth badly, if you suck too hard (and it's impossible to know what "how hard" really is). Luckily for me I suck very lightly, but still, waking up with achy teeth in the morning isn't fun.

Safer to use a pacifier, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyHamster View Post
    I have always sucked on my thumb, I never grew out of it. Be careful what you wish for, because thumb-sucking can mess up your teeth badly, if you suck too hard (and it's impossible to know what "how hard" really is). Luckily for me I suck very lightly, but still, waking up with achy teeth in the morning isn't fun.

Safer to use a pacifier, I think.
    Agreed. Be careful what you wish for. I had to have braces for a few years because of my thumbsucking. I hope that I don't have to get them again when I'm older. But there's a chance that could happen.

I have been a thumb sucker my entire life. My parents tried every trick in the book to get me to stop, but I couldn't. I still suck my thumb to this day as it really does bring me comfort and pleasure.

I was just sucking my thumb, today, on a long drive. It's been 45 years since I last sucked my thumb having sucked it well into my teens. It was fun sucking it and rubbing my nose while driving but I think a binky is a better way to go.