Thread: Sewing

Default Sewing

So last week I bought a serger and today I really wanted to try making some training pants here's how it turned out
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	19184

I think for a first attempt they are amazing!! What do you think? Any suggestions?

They look fantastic! Was it a difficult process?

I'm just getting into sewing myself.

Thanks! And no it wasn't too difficult, a lot easier than I thought...

I'm about to tackle making my own footed pjs so I can get smooth white vinyl feet like they used to have. Not much skill with sewing but I think I can handle it.

I think after I master these training pants that I'll try a onesie as well but no feet cause my feet get really warm and then I can't get to bed....

Ooooohh!!!

They're FANTASTIC. Nice seams! Did you use a pattern? -- 'cause if not, you are definitely a born sewist.

What did you make it out of? That's always my most pressing question with this kind of thing... like, it needs to be comfortable but also it needs to be absorbent (if you plan on "using" them) and it also needs to be strong/stretchy enough to stay put. It looks like ... T-shirt cotton, maybe?? Oooohhh and did you use multiple layers for the center panel?! How many? (so curious! I want to make some too!!)

They look like they might be a little asymmetrical (or it could just be the photo) so I'm guessing no pattern. You might want to make one!! (if you plan on sewing more of them) I like tracing paper, because then it's easy to fold the pattern piece in half and check that it's even on both sides. And it's always easier to work with neat pieces

BUT, once you have a pattern you want to MAKE, cut it out in freezer paper!! The kind with plastic on one side. Then you can just lay the pattern on the fabric, plastic side down -- and IRON it on. It will stick nicely, so you can cut the fabric, and then it will come off clean You can use it multiple times, too! Like a template! And it's sturdy. I love that trick so much.

Good luck! Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by FaennaJo View Post
    Ooooohh!!!

They're FANTASTIC. Nice seams! Did you use a pattern? -- 'cause if not, you are definitely a born sewist.

What did you make it out of? That's always my most pressing question with this kind of thing... like, it needs to be comfortable but also it needs to be absorbent (if you plan on "using" them) and it also needs to be strong/stretchy enough to stay put. It looks like ... T-shirt cotton, maybe?? Oooohhh and did you use multiple layers for the center panel?! How many? (so curious! I want to make some too!!)

They look like they might be a little asymmetrical (or it could just be the photo) so I'm guessing no pattern. You might want to make one!! (if you plan on sewing more of them) I like tracing paper, because then it's easy to fold the pattern piece in half and check that it's even on both sides. And it's always easier to work with neat pieces

BUT, once you have a pattern you want to MAKE, cut it out in freezer paper!! The kind with plastic on one side. Then you can just lay the pattern on the fabric, plastic side down -- and IRON it on. It will stick nicely, so you can cut the fabric, and then it will come off clean You can use it multiple times, too! Like a template! And it's sturdy. I love that trick so much.

Good luck! Have fun!
    Wow thanks for the freezer paper trick, and you're right, no pattern... I just used a pair of regular underwear, cut it where the two seams are by the legs, and traced each piece onto "sports/active stretch knit" (no idea what exactly the fabric is but it's really comfy ) I added one inch around each piece. And the center panel is 3 layers thick!! This fabric is really tough to work with cause it kept rolling up and doesn't want to sit straight but my serger is very forgiving

Quote Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
    Wow thanks for the freezer paper trick, and you're right, no pattern... I just used a pair of regular underwear, cut it where the two seams are by the legs, and traced each piece onto "sports/active stretch knit" (no idea what exactly the fabric is but it's really comfy ) I added one inch around each piece. And the center panel is 3 layers thick!! This fabric is really tough to work with cause it kept rolling up and doesn't want to sit straight but my serger is very forgiving
    Oh okay, cool!
    The biggest thing I can recommend there is to use lots and lots of pins to hold the layers in place while you sew -- the slipperier something is, the more pins you need, especially on curves... and just sew slowly, and make sure to pull out the pins before they go under the needle/foot. I've never used a serger before! Looks like fun And I have to say you did an incredible job on the leg hole binding, it just looks nice, lol.

Depending on what the "active stretch knit" is made of, you may not want to use your iron on it with the freezer paper. Polyester and other plasticky fabrics can melt into goo under the heat. If you do decide to, be sure to test a small scrap piece first (fold it between 2 layers of a non-meltable fabric, like cotton, to keep it off your iron and your ironing board... just in case)!

Let us know how it goes Ahhh I love making stuff! So exciting!

Well,

Great...I dont use a serger much anymore...tend to flat stich seams nowadays...

They look great...!

Also just FYI, if you have a walking foot on your machine it's much easier to keep layers from slipping...

I sew with the walking foot on most the time, except elastic, and such...

B