Thread: pacifiers falling apart.

Default pacifiers falling apart.

Is there a way to prevent the base of the nipple on a pacifier from falling apart? The rubber on mine is starting to crack and crumble apart. I unfortunately have had to declare it 'retired.' I am lucky to have another nuk 5 around, but it isn't the one i like to use as often.

That's an inherent problem with latex. Another problem is where you store it. They need to be kept away from heat and direct sunlight.

I only use my during sleep. In the morning, it gets washed with soap and water, dried and then placed into a box in a drawer of my nightstand. That way it is ready for the next use, is out of any light and at basically a constant temperature.

My current one is about 6 months old and even with constant care, it is showing it's age. I figure within the next few months, it will have to be retired. I'm not looking forward to breaking in a new one but, oh well, they don't last forever.

Does the other type of pacifier not have that same problem, the non latex ones?

Silicone nipples are pretty much inert. They don't crack or get tacky, but I've heard some say they discolor after a very long time.

Either way, I'd say it's just time to buy a new paci. Provided you care for them well, they'll easily last a year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
    Silicone nipples are pretty much inert. They don't crack or get tacky, but I've heard some say they discolor after a very long time.

Either way, I'd say it's just time to buy a new paci. Provided you care for them well, they'll easily last a year or so.
    Hmm, well that is good to know. Now i have one more thing on my to buy list...darn, money money money.

I've had some of mine for nearly three years now, and other than darkening in colour quite a bit, they're still fine. I think soap and detergents often damage the rubber as much as clean it, so I just give them a good rinse in warm running water in the morning, and occasionally boil them for a few minutes if they start to get a bit smelly :/