Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black Friday... anyone else avoiding it?

Default Black Friday... anyone else avoiding it?

With Black Friday approaching in two weeks; I have decided to avoid it- avoid the craziness and the long lines at box stores just to save a few bucks on trinkets from China. Yes, I think that little of Black Friday- have for years ever since my first and last one- 1997.

That year; I went to Wal-Mart to pick up some things I needed plus some gifts for family. So my mom and I went down to Wal-Mart as the sun was rising. I could not believe how many people were inside the store as my mom and I arrived there. It was CRAZY!

Some asshat literally shoved me from a box of marked-down VHS tapes I was looking at- keep in mind this is before DVD was the popular medium- long before Blu-Ray. I also had some clown try to snag my Tom Clancy book- one of the main reasons I had gone to the store- from my cart! Plus I had to dodge the crowds at the lines. It took me an HOUR to get out of the cash register!

I was NOT thrilled with the whole experience. NEVER again am I doing Black Friday. The next year my mom asked me if I wanted to go to Wal-Mart with her again for specials and I told her NO.

So, are you going to be like me sleeping in on Black Friday or are you going to be going out in the crowds for the craziness? Sorry if I think so little of the whole thing; I just hated the experience I had in 1997 with Black Friday. I don't understand the appeal of it or the desire to be a part of a mob crowd just to save a few bucks on trinkets from China.

WildThing121675

Again, apologies for being cynical in regards to Black Friday... I know some people enjoy it but I for some reason don't.

Some people are into that kinda thing, but yeah, me neither. Same goes for smaller sales as well. The inconvenience to me isn't worth the money saved in most cases, and I'd rather casually buy something full price than spend several frustrating hours of my day to save some money.

Whatever floats ones boat I guess...

I absolutely despise Black Friday. To me it simply brings out the worst in people and shows how greedy they can be. I don't think I've been black Friday shopping since I was like 12, and that was only to GameStop. I think that and Big Lots (a small American discount store) are the only places I've gone for early morning deals on Black Friday.

I'm not generally a fan of crowds, so I generally try to avoid retail on Black Friday. Often, I'm just carrying over Thanksgiving from the day before with leftovers and on such a lazy day with good food, I have no desire or need to go out.

I like black Friday. It's the start of the season and it does get crazy. I don't have any stories like you do. I am disappointed in retailers opening and/or starting their sales on Thanksgiving. To me, it's a day to relax with family before the big rush. My wife says we are going out on bF and we always tell each other to put our patience hats on. We never camp for anything. Nothing is that important. We get to the store(s) when we get there and see what's left.

Cyber Monday - That is much more fun!

The sheer greed of people is another reason I hate Black Friday. I can't stand seeing the sheer and utter greed of people on the news when they show the footage of Black Friday. I really can't stand how they overhype it all- this year is the worst; can't believe all the stores that are staying open on Thanksgiving night. I feel bad for the employees at those stores to be dragged away from their families and their dinner to kowtow to the sheer and utter greed of people.

WildThing121675

I always wanted to shop on black Friday but I never had anyone take me anywhere on this particular event. It really does sound crazy but The mystery of it all and not being able to just makes me want to go even more. Living without a drivers license sucks. Especially because I am 22 and I live on my own.

So how are we different from animals again?
    I always have thought that you had a good sense of humor and you make a really good point at times. Yea, I bet if you started a thread with something you thought was funny or interesting I bet a lot of people would start commenting on the thread.

Yea, we are at times like animals. : /

Quote Originally Posted by MLPPebble View Post
    I always have thought that you had a good sense of humor and you make a really good point at times. Yea, I bet if you started a thread with something you thought was funny or interesting I bet a lot of people would start commenting on the thread.

Yea, we are at times like animals. : /
    My humor can be an enigma, just like people. :I