Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lasik

Default Lasik

Well, I took the plunge and got Laser eye surgery yesterday...

Probably the most uncomfortable I've ever been in my life, valium did nothing for me (would have ofted for a few beers across the road if I could), and it turns out my eyes metabolize the sedative eye drops VERY quickly, so I felt the entire cutting and laser process.

Was it worth it? ABSOLUTELY! Ok well I can't really say that emphatically yet, but I can already seem much more clearly, just a bit foggy. Anybody else try it yet? how long until you were really able to see clearly?

Cheers,
    Kevin

Well,

I had LASIK done in like 1998 or so...

I was legally blind without glasses, and couldn't wear contacts in my left eye do to some scar tissue...

If I remember I was 90% in two r three days...then about a month my eyes stabilized at 20/10 20/5. From 20/4.75d 20/5.75d and also astigmitism as well...

Haven had any other things done, and until my crash a few years back, had eyes checked for commercial pilot medical usually every 6 months...they only go down to 20/15 and I've done that line every time for near far and intermediate distances...

It's been great...foggy glasses are a pain...

B

Haven't had lasik but it's deffintley on my to do list. Im still saving up. Not sure how much it runs for both eyes but the concept of not needing glasses anymore is highly appealing to me. In my opinion the surgery would be totally worth every penny.

Just as an FYI ... if you haven't yet done it you will probably find that you may need laser again at a later stage. It depends a lot on what the actual problem with your eyes are. But i spent some time working with an ophthalmologist who does laser eye surgery and got to see some of it done. So yeah, double check if it is going to help you out or not.

Also, check out some of the other options as well. There are several different types of laser surgery and some have very different results for people. The ophthalmologist i spent time with steers clear of LASIK because he finds that there can be significant problems later on in a person's life (and i did see a case were a lady had LASIK performed and was good for a few months before her eye sight began to decline back to what it was before the laser surgery. So ask around and get some opinions as to what the best option for your eyes will be.

And I'm glad that people get the benefit from it. I know for a fact that i can't have it so i am stuck with glasses and contact lenses (i don't use them too much anymore just because it takes a lot of effort to get out of bed in the morning for me let alone put in contact lenses as well). The thought of not needing glasses is nice but one i will have to leave to you guys who can have the laser done.

Just a heads up, avoid straining your eyes by looking at screens. I had it done in 2005 and im stuck with those crazy looking lights at night.

I only need a minor corrective lens on my glasses. Basically they're reading glasses. I can read and see fine without them, but if I read for several hours without them, I get a bad headache.

I went in to try to get Lasik a few years ago. But I was informed that they couldn't do it on me. They said it had to do with the shape of my eye. If I remember right, it was that my cornea wasn't the same thickness across. They said not to worry about it, since I only needed such a small correction.

But it's something I would still hope to have one day, if the technology advances enough.

...but I am pretty scared of the whole procedure itself. It might be a good thing I couldn't have it done. I'm pretty finicky about my eyes. I don't like things touch them. I've heard stories about what happens, and that they can't put you out for it. I don't know if I could hold still long enough, for the laser to do its job...

Congrats on getting it done. Let us know how it all turns out.

I have the beginning of cataracts, but at my last checkup, he said my eyes were actually better than before. Go figure. The surgery costs $4000.00 an eye, but if Medicare/hospitalization pays, it's $400.00 an eye. I have minor far sightedness, so I'll wait until I have to have cataract surgery.

Default Lasik

I had laser eye surgery a couple of years ago, but I actually had Lasek, an older type of surgery with a slower recovery rate. My eyes and lifestyle showed I would be more suited to that type of surgery.

I don't regret it for one second. Whenever I look at old photos of myself now I am always really shocked to be reminded if the fact that I wore glasses for 10 years... I actually forget that I ever wore them.

I do get some side effects from the surgery though, I get dry eyes and I am quite sensitive to light, but I think that's a small price to pay for vision that is better than 20/20.

To anyone considering laser eye surgery: go and enquire, have the initial tests done etc. if you go ahead with the surgery, it will be a rather painful and frightening experience, but it was the best thing I ever did. 2,000 well spent! 😄

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
    Well, I took the plunge and got Laser eye surgery yesterday...

Probably the most uncomfortable I've ever been in my life, valium did nothing for me (would have ofted for a few beers across the road if I could), and it turns out my eyes metabolize the sedative eye drops VERY quickly, so I felt the entire cutting and laser process.

Was it worth it? ABSOLUTELY! Ok well I can't really say that emphatically yet, but I can already seem much more clearly, just a bit foggy. Anybody else try it yet? how long until you were really able to see clearly?

Cheers,
    Kevin
    Dang, I wish I could have it done. I only need a minor corrective lens (reading glasses). I can see fine, and read without them, but if I do a lot of reading or watching tv, it gives me a headache. I went in for a consultation a couple of years ago, and there was something wrong with the shape of my eye, and they refused to do it. I guess it was for the best. I'm paranoid about anything touching my eyes, and I don't know how I would have handled the actual surgery.

Glad to hear that it all worked out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattew View Post
    Dang, I wish I could have it done. I only need a minor corrective lens (reading glasses). I can see fine, and read without them, but if I do a lot of reading or watching tv, it gives me a headache. I went in for a consultation a couple of years ago, and there was something wrong with the shape of my eye, and they refused to do it. I guess it was for the best. I'm paranoid about anything touching my eyes, and I don't know how I would have handled the actual surgery.

Glad to hear that it all worked out for you.
    Well,

From my memory...which isn't perfect...LASIK isn't the best for helping with reading glasses...far sighted ness...

And, as far as the surgery...I consider my adult self fairly calm and usually not afraid of much of anything...

But, the surgery was very wierd...during the procedure your awake...and due to some working rules I didn't take any drugs at all...I was taken when during the "suction eye cutter thingy" about as near to scared as I've ever experienced "real time"...usually for me during any traumatic event I remain calm collected and perform whatever is needed of me to mitigate the exposure at the time...then later...sometimes even days later I'll get the that was really scary feeling when thinking about it...reliving things after the fact for me are worse than the original event...

I can say that it wasn't that painful...during it not much at all...after and for few days...similar to small shards of glass in your eye...and yes I've had experience with that a few times...then later just like sand...then just feeling "dry" for about a week or so...

But, for me it allowed me to get my commercial pilot license...and well worth it...

If your vision isn't really bad I don't know if it's worth it...just like someday I'll need reading glasses more than likely...and I don't feel that would be enough to make me do it again...

Ymmv