Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry

Default Concealed Carry

Hey there!

I was just wondering if anyone on here, or someone they know, has gone through the process of getting a CCDW license in the recent past.

I have family who have theirs for. Serious reasons, and I was wondering what other's experiences have been like.
    Last edited by Dan09; 14-Nov-2013 at 12:56.

It depends on the state, requirements, and wait times varies. I have one, been a holder since 08. I find it a hassle and most likely will not renew it. I live in one of the most gun friendly/knife states. Yeah there is a lot of craziness these days and it seems more people are getting their carry permits.
    I can see the benefits of being able to carry. But it takes more than a permit and a class to be able to get the full benefit of carrying a pistol. Psychologically it takes a lot to be able to use deadly force. It takes a split second between a justified shooting and a homicide. Most people do not know how it feels to be shot at, or having to take a life justified or not. Between adrenaline, mental state and stress of the situation there are too many variables for things to go bad. Having served in the military as a MP, being deployed I know full well how it feels to have to use deadly force. Its not fun what so ever, to this day I still question myself about stuff down range.
    Not sure if your instructor covered anything on the "what ifs". In a shooting be it self defense or not you WILL be questioned thoroughly. And its probably wise to have an attorney on retainer if you plan on carrying. One slip and you can go from victim to suspect. Yeah it may look suspicious to lawyer up after a shooting. But from a legal standpoint its wise not to answer questions immediately. You may think you are thinking straight but you will not be.
    But congratulations on getting your permit, I am sure you have your personal reasons for it.

*the use of the word you, is not directed directly at the OP. Just used it in a general term. I am pro gun, just have my reasons why I do not carry.

Quote Originally Posted by jambi66441 View Post
    I can see the benefits of being able to carry. But it takes more than a permit and a class to be able to get the full benefit of carrying a pistol. Psychologically it takes a lot to be able to use deadly force. It takes a split second between a justified shooting and a homicide.
    Technically it's homicide whether or not your actions were justified. That's why the legal concept of justifiable homicide exists. Homicide just means that a person was killed by the actions of another person. Justifiability or lack thereof isn't a defining criterion.

True maybe I should have worded that differently, between Manslaughter/Murder and a justifiable homicide.

I have mine I carry with me because of all of the idiots in the world these days. I don't want to use my firearm but I will if I see my life is in Danger, or if I see someone else's Life in DDanger. I carry a Glock 23, 40 Caliber with 15 Rnd Magazine.

I have utah carry permit and Idaho as well. I carry either a Glock 21 Gen 4 with 13+1 mag or a Springfield XDm with 13+1. All .45ACP. I've had to draw once and it was enough to defuse what otherwise could have been a deadly confrontation. It's worth the time and effort for me due to as much traveling as I do.

I am a Medic I have had my CCW since 2009 I carry a Kimber Crimson Trace 2 45 acp I also have a Glock 30 I do carry quite often as due to the changing times as well as it seems that any one that works in public safety Medics, Fire , Rescue, seem to have become targets like law enforcement just because we wear a badge, I do not carry on duty, and there is a big debate about that in my profession, Now I do travel a lot and I will say I like the security of having protection,

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Crinklemedic View Post
    I am a Medic I have had my CCW since 2009 I carry a Kimber Crimson Trace 2 45 acp I also have a Glock 30 I do carry quite often as due to the changing times as well as it seems that any one that works in public safety Medics, Fire , Rescue, seem to have become targets like law enforcement just because we wear a badge, I do not carry on duty, and there is a big debate about that in my profession, Now I do travel a lot and I will say I like the security of having protection,
    This brings a whole new meaning to the phrase, to cure or kill. Pray tell, how do I go about 'opting out' of your services?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    The prognosis wasn't good, so I dispatched him. Humanly, of course.
    Seriously: Your problem of violence is not unique to where you are at, much the same here in Ireland.

Footnote: I recall a day where if you said you were carrying protection, you meant you had a condom in your pocket, where did society go wrong?

Going into law enforcement, hope to get mine soon. Thank god I live in Florida.

Ive a concealed carry permit, but rarely carry. Im an antique firearm collector (black powder era) but I do own a 1911 colt in .45acp, thats my "protection". Ive numerous reasons for owning, but in the end, its for peace of mind.