Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lol'ing?

Default lol'ing?

ok this is about as off-topic as they come, the subject of lol'ing. And no I don't mean the literal act of Laughing out Lound but rather the use of the term "lol" in messaging and in posts.

I'm not going to lie I am a huge offender of the lol........lol get it, it's a pun for law.... anyway point being I've already noticed myself do it multiple times in my posts on the site unintentionally. It's seriously just become a habit at this point to just throw it in there with my writing.

So my question to you guys is this: Do you guys "lol"? Just via text messaging or everywhere? Is it acceptable? Like I'm not angering or annoying anyone by typing it am I? because I apologize if so, it really is unintentional but I can stop if necessary. I understand that probably sounds stupid and I'm predicting that it's fine but I have met a few people in the past that truly find it annoying, i.e. my ex-girlfriend =/

I am very guilty of it. I get called out on it all the time by a friend of mine. I see it as a new form of punctuation. Not acceptable and professional setting. Very acceptable and ordinary setting.

I've said it a few times, but only when I actually laugh out load so I'm not a huge offender.
    everything in moderation is what I think

Quote Originally Posted by ANewSpirit View Post
    ok this is about as off-topic as they come, the subject of lol'ing. And no I don't mean the literal act of Laughing out Lound but rather the use of the term "lol" in messaging and in posts.

I'm not going to lie I am a huge offender of the lol........lol get it, it's a pun for law.... anyway point being I've already noticed myself do it multiple times in my posts on the site unintentionally. It's seriously just become a habit at this point to just throw it in there with my writing.

So my question to you guys is this: Do you guys "lol"? Just via text messaging or everywhere? Is it acceptable? Like I'm not angering or annoying anyone by typing it am I? because I apologize if so, it really is unintentional but I can stop if necessary. I understand that probably sounds stupid and I'm predicting that it's fine but I have met a few people in the past that truly find it annoying, i.e. my ex-girlfriend =/
    Sometimes I don't understand the text messaging shortcuts but I'm not angered nor annoyed by it. I just ask for the clear text.

You might want to take a look at the adisc rules, specifically rule #8. Here's the link if you need it http://www.adisc.org/forum/news/697-rules.html

Eh... by the time I finally embraced texting everyone had phones with qwerty keyboards so I'm not much on "text speak".

Oh man I lol so much... Honestly I don't mean too, but it's just a very bad habit of mine now. When i'm in a chat room or instant messaging I usually either start with lol or end with lol. I guess it's just easier then typing haha. Sometimes on forum post I also type lol, but I usually remove it when I see it on my forum posts. On the adisc irc I have to struggle to not type lol xD. I seem to use xD a lot as well. I guess it's a very bad habit, but at least I don't type swear words. That would be very bad.

I saw this as being easy to over use a long time ago, so I tend to use haha.... The problem with that is that it really isn't any different, haha... On occasion I'll use teehee. Blogging and texting is different from formal writing, so why not, lol, haha, teehee, wtf!

Nope. I'm adamant on this score. I rarely use "lol" and only when it is literally true or employed ironically. Typically, I use "hehe" or "hah" for things that are funny or unusual but do not reach that high bar.

in writing yes, whenever appropriate
    but i do think it's totally weird when people start saying "LOL" to you in spoken conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongolino View Post
    in writing yes, whenever appropriate
    but i do think it's totally weird when people start saying "LOL" to you in spoken conversations.
    Guilty.......... but i blame my father. he was the one who started it first when i was a kid. most of what i say and type i learned from my parents.. who for the most part are stupid id**ts. as im older now i see that and thats why i took my bro from them. they have like an IQ of 100 Combined. so while i am socially damaged its not entirely my fault. but im learning the slowly work it out of my vocabulary and writing but its hard being taught it all my life and then trying to change