Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on donating organs in the event of death?

Default What are your thoughts on donating organs in the event of death?

I got my (restricted) driver's license the other day, and I opted to be an organ donor. To me, it's sort of a creepy thought, but after all, I won't need them anymore.

Discuss your opinions.
    Last edited by Kovy; 22-Dec-2008 at 01:37.

I think that one should definitely donate there organs after death. And I fully support the UK plans to make organ donation 'opt-out' rather than 'opt-in', i.e. your organs will be taken unless you say no beforehand, rather than now where you have to give permission beforehand.

I think it is a good idea. If you die and your organs can help someone else to live I am cool with that. My state lets you donate organs. It's voluntary. They put that on your driver's licence too. BTW..I am too young to have a license. But..in 2 years...I can.

I've been an organ donor since I started driving. If anyone can make use of what I've got after I'm done with it, they're welcome to them. However, I wouldn't support a change to the system like Charlie mentioned where the donation is assumed unless one opts out. I know that would be beneficial, but I just can't see taking someone's organs unless they positively consent to it.

I'm not listed as one on my license...I'd rather keep my organs...Maybe when I'm older I'll change it though...Who knows...One of my teachers said that if you're like in a wreck, and say your card says you're an organ donor, and someone else's doesn't, then they'll try to save the person who isn't an organ donor first...I don't know how true that is, but yeah...Just mentioning it

When I went to get my license there was this really funny women at the station they sent me to and she was just like do you want to be an organ donor? Then she was like no you don't cause the minute you sign up for it you'll be in a car crash or something. I understand what she is saying though lol even though she didn't really give me a choice I don't really think at 16 you should be preparing for death unless you are dying. I think when I renew it I'll be one though because I want to live helping other people so I might as well help some people with my death. Unless I become a Rastafarian, or some religion that prohibits the removal of body parts.

For me, everythings up for grabs. Take what you need and burn the rest.

I'm OK with someone else using my organs if I die, I signed the back of my driver's license saying that I'm cool with donating them if I were to die which I hope won't happen for a good long time at least.

As for the whole argument of doctor's not trying to save the life of an organ donor, I just don't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    I think that one should definitely donate there organs after death. And I fully support the UK plans to make organ donation 'opt-out' rather than 'opt-in', i.e. your organs will be taken unless you say no beforehand, rather than now where you have to give permission beforehand.
    while not against organ donation, i am against plans to turn the population into a 'scrapyard' of cheap parts. it cheapens life and doesn't encourage any thought on the issues at hand.
    other than the simpistic notion of 'saving a life', the full extent and ramifications of a flooding of the 'market' with organs is never, that's never, talked about. who's going to pay for the increased number of operations and the subsequent life-long drug dependancy? by all natural rights, the proposed recipients have no business being alive, so who's claiming the moral authority that they should live beyond their natural expectancy and go on to procreate and continue and spread their inherent weakness which will then require more funds, more organs and more deaths to cater for? i don't trust a doctor to have that authority, nor a politician.
    and as potential donators, do we not get a say i how the fruits of our labours (organs) are distributed upon our death? should a person's organs be used to save the life of the person who killed him? and there are much worse variations of that question.
    i think you will find that when it comes to the crunch, in the hustle and bustle of an emergency room, the temptation to speed, or encourage, a death in order to claim the organs will raise it's head.
    and since there is bureaucracy invovled at every level of the proposal, it would be wise to take a look around at how these bureaucrats currently 'manage' the infrastructure of society before letting them take our organs. to my mind, a system (and it's people) which is too lazy and too corrupt to adequately maintain the basic needs of society (roads, sewers, schooling, NHS) and which can't even pour a bit of concrete to a schedule, isn't equipped to handle descisions of this nature, nevermind developing and implementing the operational procedures of it's enactment.