Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: The New "Steam Machine" the next Xbox killer

  1. #1

    Default The New "Steam Machine" the next Xbox killer

    ok in Valve's ever expanding world of video games they have decided to toy around with the idea of a home console for your living room with all the power and precision of a full custom PC and the versatility of the console. as the artical im linking at the end of the post says the official specs for the prototype has a full size GTX titan and an intel processor (which i am assuming to be one of the i series quad cores but could still be one of their lower modles) the controller as it stands has no analog capabillity, it is all done with two hyper sensitive touch pads that can be configured to each user's personal senstivity prefrances, as well as custom mapping of roughly 10 other buttons. one model even stated having a touch screen in the center to allow for all the key mapping that would be preasant if you were actually using a standard keyboard. possibly even virtual macro for the virtual key maps. it is still in development and prototype stages but is predicted to be avalible to beta testers in 2014.

    We play with the Steam Machine, Valve's game console of the future | The Verge

  2. #2

    Default

    I intend to get one! I signed up for the beta, just in case I could try one :P

  3. #3

    Default

    The thing to keep in mind is their are a lot of people who don't play PC. So they don't know alot about it. Steam is a powerful tool for PC gaming (possibly the only thing to save it) but most people will just want to play on an Xbox or PS.

    The Xbox and PS typically have lots of the major titles. To call it an Xbox killer is perhaps too far. Its all numbers. You can't play halo on the steam thing, or n++.

    At this point PS4 has the best chance of leveling the Xbox. No ones beating it. The PS4 has too many advantages right now and Xbox has had bad press.

    PC and steam are simply in a different league. A good one, but they are largely for different audiences.

    Needless to say I hope valve proves to be successful in its launch. I just differ on the opinion of it being an "Xbox killer"

  4. #4

    Default

    If they can make it so it can be upgraded I would be all for it.

  5. #5

    Default

    I'm really excited for the controller. I might get the Steambox thing, but not until I get to see how it works. I will definitely get the controller though. Would be good to use for all the PC games I already have.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by TheEpicTuba View Post
    The thing to keep in mind is their are a lot of people who don't play PC. So they don't know alot about it. Steam is a powerful tool for PC gaming (possibly the only thing to save it) but most people will just want to play on an Xbox or PS.

    The Xbox and PS typically have lots of the major titles. To call it an Xbox killer is perhaps too far. Its all numbers. You can't play halo on the steam thing, or n++.

    At this point PS4 has the best chance of leveling the Xbox. No ones beating it. The PS4 has too many advantages right now and Xbox has had bad press.

    PC and steam are simply in a different league. A good one, but they are largely for different audiences.

    Needless to say I hope valve proves to be successful in its launch. I just differ on the opinion of it being an "Xbox killer"
    the thing is it is not a pc it uses pc format games but is a console

    it will have all the major cross platform games that pc would have and from the hardware readout they specified it will eat both ps4 and XBO in graphics and performance

    it was meant to be the bridge to bring the precision and performance of a pc to those who cant afford or have room for a high end rig it may not kill the xbox in sales but i said that refering to the fact that if assuming its given the same publicity, price range and support, it would easily give both sony and microsoft a major run for supremacy.

    - - - Updated - - -

    i have been waiting several years for the hope of a new console and even thought of building my own as a side project for my college courses in computer hardware and programing.though i lack the recorces, money and support to do it efficiantly

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    the thing is it is not a pc it uses pc format games but is a console

    it will have all the major cross platform games that pc would have and from the hardware readout they specified it will eat both ps4 and XBO in graphics and performance

    it was meant to be the bridge to bring the precision and performance of a pc to those who cant afford or have room for a high end rig it may not kill the xbox in sales but i said that refering to the fact that if assuming its given the same publicity, price range and support, it would easily give both sony and microsoft a major run for supremacy.
    A console that runs "PC format" games while not being a PC is a mythical beast. PC games are just Microsoft Windows applications, not unlike Word and PowerPoint. You run them on Microsoft Windows, which you run on a PC. Games written for PCs will have to be rewritten to some extent in order to be able to run on a different OS/hardware configuration, and I'm guessing that Valve isn't planning on licensing Windows. If they are, then that's a big nod to Microsoft if the Steambox takes off. Otherwise, you can be pretty certain that the large library of PC games isn't going to simply light up on Steambox. Some number of titles would likely be ported. They would no longer be "PC format."

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    intel processor (which i am assuming to be one of the i series quad cores but could still be one of their lower modles)
    What else as an i7 or i5, and that's the clue about the steambox: Valve choose voluntary only to use Intel and Nvidia, since AMD supplies both consoles.

    Anyway, the specs are to some extend long known:
    Nvidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
    Intel i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
    8/16GB DDR3-1600
    1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD




    Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    the thing is it is not a pc it uses pc format games but is a console
    Well a shuttle PC ;). But let's wait and see, since officially Valve want's to drop the prices down to a 300$ price range, but so far the prototypes and what has been "said" to be a steambox perhaps would be around 999$.

    Still, the most interesting thing about the Steambox is rather the OS. So far every linux distribution is horrible to run games with, you need a lot of custom files, scripts and libraries. But even then the performance is very low compared to windows, if it works at all.
    But if valve manages to release a linux based gaming OS... well this will also put Microsoft under pressure too. At least if valve plans to release their OS without the Box itself.

    Anyway, I won't get one, but I'll try the OS if it's possible somehow ;)
    Last edited by daLira; 09-Nov-2013 at 18:09.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    If they can make it so it can be upgraded I would be all for it.
    The 300 protypes they are going to send out to random users that met the requirements, those ones are pretty much just computers but very condensed down into a small area. They used real PC hardware and everything expels air out its own side it seems.

    I don't think I'd upgrade it though since its very thoughtfully designed.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    the thing is it is not a pc it uses pc format games but is a console
    The prototype that valve is sending out are *REAL* PCs. it's just all compacted into a console like form factor.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    A console that runs "PC format" games while not being a PC is a mythical beast. PC games are just Microsoft Windows applications, not unlike Word and PowerPoint. You run them on Microsoft Windows, which you run on a PC. Games written for PCs will have to be rewritten to some extent in order to be able to run on a different OS/hardware configuration, and I'm guessing that Valve isn't planning on licensing Windows. If they are, then that's a big nod to Microsoft if the Steambox takes off. Otherwise, you can be pretty certain that the large library of PC games isn't going to simply light up on Steambox. Some number of titles would likely be ported. They would no longer be "PC format."
    well Steam OS is just a flavor of linux and valve has been putting its games on linux hoping others follow suit. Now with AMD's new API "Mantle" developers can get away from microsoft's own DX 9,10,11,11.1.

    Plus something like steam OS and Mantle together would offer a more console like structure for developers.

Similar Threads

  1. "Coming Out" as an "Older" Adult Baby
    By caitianx in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-Sep-2013, 09:33
  2. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-Aug-2013, 20:23
  3. Are terms like "fetish" and "paraphilia" outdated/unhelpful?
    By cm90210 in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31-Dec-2012, 22:24
  4. Google Nexus 7 or "how I came to love the Kindle Fire killer"
    By Fire2box in forum Computers & Gaming
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 29-Jul-2012, 20:33
  5. Replies: 99
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2012, 18:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.